Heating Click Clacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendont

Reaction score
I want to get an Antaresia of some sort (probs Stimsons) and am trying to find out how to heat click clacks properly. Is heat cord a better option than a heat mat? How exactly is heat cord used? does it need to be covered? How do you control its temperature? Do they have there own thermostat or something? Or do you need a thermostat as well as the heat cord? and how do you accurately measure the temperature of the cord? Does anyone have pics of there heating method used for click clacks? I just cant figure it out atm!!!!

theres a thread on this i will try to dig it up for you but if you just using the 1 click clack i would use a heatmat or if your plannin on having a few tubs then a heatcord would be the go also be sure to use a thermostat to control temps
hope this helps

i have a spotted in a click clack on a 15watt heat mat with a dimmer. Temps constantly stay at 32 degrees Celsius with the mat on full but, then again my room is quite cold :p

I'm using a heat cord for one click clack. They come in varying sizes so whatever suits. They can also be used for the adult enclosure.
To use them you make a snake kind of shape going back and fourth. How do I describe it? like using the letters u and n like this ununu and imagining they're connected to make a snake shape. You can put the cord under the click clack or put it in the click clack and silicone a tile over it which heats the tile to make a basking spot. Always use thermostat IMO. Just some peace of mind really. The thermostat allows you to set the desired temp. I put the thermostat probe under the tile too. Then I have a infra red thermometer thing where you point it and it gives you the temperature or the spot you want. This allows you to check the actual reading on the tile or location where the snake will bask. You can also use a probe thermometer and place the probe on the basking site.

I'm using a heat cord, thermostat, 3 tiles and an infrared temp gun because I don't trust thermometers.

heres a dumb noob question you can laugh at me for: what kind of tiles do you use? i know nothing about tiles but i assume they come in different types/materials and thickness/sizes???
also, how do you glue the heat cord to the tile underneath? wouldnt most adhesives melt given the temp? silicon you say? that works fine?

i have it like this in my head (feel free to critique cos thats why Im on here):
starting from the bottom and working up: tile #1, tile #2, heat cord glued in "S" bends, tile #3 and then the click clack on top of this tile (1/3rd of click clack) and the thermostat probe (i would think inside and at the bottom of the click clacks hot end but correct me if im wrong...)

thanks guys...and girls

i don't know how to make the heat mats, but from what i've seen on here they just use plain ceramic tiles.

Here you go all the info you need. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93266
As for heat cord get two large ceramic tiles and a piece of MDF ( same size as click clack) route groves into MDF about 10-12mm apart ( or use circular saw) a third of the size of the click clack and run cord in groove then put tiles on top then sit click clack on top.

Last edited:
so the tiles arent glued to the cord? the cord is just held in place by the grooves in the wood with the tile just sitting above? with the cc sitting on the tiles and a thermostat probe inside the cc at the hot end; which the cord is connected to?

what is the knobby looking probe thing on the end of heat cords? and what happens if you have say an extra metre of cord once you have done what you needed it for?

i checked the link and there is some helpful stuff, thanks, but I still have issues completely understanding the concept. I guess I could just whack a few things together and hope for the best, but I kinda want everything perfect so that I am happy and my future snakes are also happy.

1.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here's a heat cord I set up for a mates yearling I gave him.

So you dont really even need tiles then? The cc can just go straight on top of the wood and cord?
Is there a reason every second groove in your board is empty? Or was the cord just not flexible enough?
cheers

The cord is flexible enough for every groove. You can regulate the heat by how close you have the cord. It's a non thermostat method. So by missing every second grove it doesnt get as hot. No need for a tile. Tiles help retain heat and spread a basking spot. But I find them a bit of a pain personally and would only use them when I have heat cord in an enclosure and the snake will bask directly on the tile. Here the snake basks on the newspaper/plastic so no tile.

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread and thought you might have some advice for me. I live in QLD and we get some very warm days. I just checked my Woma hatchies enclosure at around 4pm and it was 33-34 degs all over. No heat! There is no 'cool end'. Is this ok? Should i bother with any heat at night when it cools down a bit? Cheers.

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread and thought you might have some advice for me. I live in QLD and we get some very warm days. I just checked my Woma hatchies enclosure at around 4pm and it was 33-34 degs all over. No heat! There is no 'cool end'. Is this ok? Should i bother with any heat at night when it cools down a bit? Cheers.

Second tub with a half screen lid to transfer in will fix that... no heat at all during the heatwave periods. If it still gets too hot you can get those aluminium bottles from the cheap shops, fill it with water and freeze it. Place that against on of the click clack wall will help cool things down (don't put it in there with them... you don't want the snake having direct contact with it).

Nobbly bit on end of cord is just how they are sealed. Excess cord is just left hanging to dissipate heat. I like using tiles as they spread the heat.

route groves into MDF about 10-12mm apart ( or use circular saw) a third of the size of the click clack and run cord in groove then put tiles on top then sit click clack on top.
just one last question: how deep/wide do the grooves need to be routed? I havnt got a cord yet but i do have everything else and want to have the wood ready for when i do get the cord.
thanks heaps for the info

Depends on the cord you get. 6mm is usually deep enough and wide enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back