Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all and a question whats a good reptile for a beginner with about a soon to be 6ft cage ?

Hello joughin. Welcome.

Snakes are easier than lizards but lizards are more interactive. I'm sure that will start a debate. Whatever you decide, you won't stop at one.

If you want a carpet snake, I would say a murray darling there cheap and I've never seen a snappy one, they his sometimes but it's all show

i want a snake and i lizard but mum says no snakes but maybe i can con her 8) if i got a snake i was thinking maybe a childrens python i heard they are usually friendly :D

Hahahahaha My second snake was a Childrens Python and this thing struck at anything that moved even if you were walking past the glass. My Coastal on the other hand has never struck at me. He is very very placid. I sometimes think it's luck of the draw.
Welcome to the site.

Simone.

I second that. I've never owned a childrens but I know people who do. They all say they are snappy little so and sos.

I've got 2 coastals and they are as placid and gentle as you can imagine.

i dont wanta bitey snake cos i want one so i can handle it :) :D :) 8) and i would only have a 6ft by about 2 ft by about 2 ft cage :)

I disagree my childrens is the most placid snake EVER! a friend of mine has several and not once has he ever been bitten they are 8 years old and he has had them there whole life.. Each one is different if you buy a hatchy then as long as you handle it everthing SHOULD be fine, I personally think a childrens is a great idea and a very popular beginner snake.

However a 6 foot enclosure is overdoing it for a childrens... it would only ever need half that or less.

I have to baby beardies they are a great beginner pet and lots of fun, start there until you con you mum!

On the coastals front I have no first hand experience with them but from all reports they are a lovely beginner snake and would b great 4 a 6ft enclosure. But I think you more chance with a childrens than a coastal with regards to convincing your mum. Better still get a blonde mac. THERE GOOORRGEOUS!

Start with a pair bearded dragons. Let your mum get used to having reptiles in the house. Join one of the herpetological societies and get your mum to take you to the meetings. After a while, she'll start to get interested and want to learn about the various animals out there. She'll get the chance to touch and see reptiles and talk to other people. With luck, she'll relax a bit, and you might get that snake. She might actually buy one for herself before you get one of your own.

Anyway, that's what happened in my house and I'm the mother in question.

I didnt give her the choice I just told her 2 days b4 hand and brought one home! (the day after I got my licence) she got used to em quick and loves handling them now, they will come around just give her all the info she needs, like how much it will cost, how you are going to look after it and where it will be and how it wont be able to escape!!

Find someone you know with a really friendly snake and your mum to hold it. I don't live at home but once my mum held my friendly female darwin she loved em, same with my girlfriends mum and dad

i dont know anyone with a snake and i dunno where to get hatchlings and if i got one and it was snappy i wouldnt be able to keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back