Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SlytherinGirl

Hi there,

I am 14 years old and am looking for my first snake. :D I was extreemly surprised when my mum (a complete anti-snake person) seemed to go along with my longing for a pet snake, and have been encouraging the thought ever since.

I am in NSW and am looking for a snake that would be suitable to a complete newbie to the snake world (I have been doing my research, but have absolutely no previous snake experience). Large snakes (like the so-called gentle-giant, the Coastal Carpet) are out, and I'm currently looking at an Antaresia (Spotted, Childrens or Stimson's). I'm leaning towards the Spotted, but from what I've heard, the only real difference is length.
Are the Antaresia nice snakes (both in temperment and appearance)? My mum is mostly concerned with appearance, and wants to stray as far as possible from a snake that looks anything like our local Brown Snakes (evil little things). I've noticed that their patterns seem to fade over time, and I do like a patterned animal. But I'm also keeping an eye on ease of care, feeding habits and such.

I hope that you guys can all help me make my final snakey decision. I'm sorry for the mega-post, but I just wanted to get my words out there.

I'm looking forward to a great time with APS.
Thanks!

Personally, I think you should go for a Centralian or a Diamond. Both have very good temperament and awesome colours! Very easy to care for as they only need to be fed once a week. The difference between the two is that diamonds need a UV light.

If appearence is a big factor, you're better off with a Spotted or Stimson's. Children's tend to lose some of their pattern and colour after shedding.
I'm getting my first snake tomorrow. A Stimson's. Had a handle of a few of them today, and they were extremely docile, and perfectly happy to curl around my hand and stay there. I was originally going to get a Children's, but now I'm getting a Stimmie, I'm glad I didn't go the other way.
Also, Spotteds grow to about four feet. Stimmies and Children's usually get to about 3.6, or there abouts.

But it is your choice, and I wish you the best of luck with it all. :)

Also, which are the more readily available and cheap?

I'm pretty sure all Antaresias are readily available.
I bought my Stimmie from a pet shop, and paid $450. That was average. There were a few cheaper, and a few more expensive. I'm not too sure on the prices for Children's and Spotteds.
You'll pay up to double the price at a pet shop that you would pay for a snake from a breeder. Also, because pet shops deal with all sorts of animals, not primarily snakes, they might not be able to give you the best advice. A breeder will be able to give you much more information.
Breeders are probably the way to go. Having said that, I did buy my Stimmie from a pet store, but I spoke to the right people first.

Ooh, I'll have to start doing my chores! :p
Your info has been really helpful, thanks. I hope that your Stimmie settles in nicely!

Thanks. :)
Where abouts are you? If you're in QLD, I could let you know of a breeder with a few 6 month old Stimmies.

Take a look in the FOR SALE section here.
And always buy from a reputable breeder, as they will always give you support and answer any questions you may have.
Good luck with the search and welcome to the forum.

I'm in southern NSW.
Shame, that would have been perfect though.

I'll have a look in the For Sale section, thanks. :)

Spotted's, Children's and Stimson's are all easy to look after. Spotted's and Stimon's come in a bit more range of colours, though totally patternless Children's look pretty cool too. I'd say take a look at some pics and choose which you and your mum like the best.

As suggested it's cheaper and you'll get better advice when buying from a breeder, just make sure you get one with a good feeding history as you don't want to end up with a fussy eater. Also while you are waiting it's a good chance to set up your click clack and have the temps running fine before you purchase your snake so that way you wont run into any troubles.

Thanks heaps! That's really helpful.
I've been looking into terrariums lately... what size is best for Antaresias?

i think you should find a slightly bigger than a baby snake so you know that it's eating fine. enjoy, snakes are great pets!! and good luck!

You need an enclosure that is three-quarters of the snake's length, so it can stretch out, at least that's what I was told. But for the first six months, a hatchie will live in a small click-clack.

Welcome to APS SlytherinGirl!

If you would like to see some pics of the various different locals of the Antaresia group of pythons, I would suggest looking at the Sponsors column on the right hand side of the main APS forum page and click on Southern Cross Reptiles. While there look in their photo gallery and you'll see the various different local forms, some with beautiful contrast and patterning, such as the Stimsons from the McDonnell Ranges area and 'Wheatbelt' stimmies are real beauties to look at!

If you wish to get an Antaresia, I would suggest a long low enclosure as they tend not to climb as much as the carpet pythons. My Snakey is a climbing species, so my enclosure is much taller than its length. Good luck with getting your first little friend.

Spotted's, Children's and Stimson's are all easy to look after. Spotted's and Stimon's come in a bit more range of colours, though totally patternless Children's look pretty cool too. I'd say take a look at some pics and choose which you and your mum like the best.

As suggested it's cheaper and you'll get better advice when buying from a breeder, just make sure you get one with a good feeding history as you don't want to end up with a fussy eater. Also while you are waiting it's a good chance to set up your click clack and have the temps running fine before you purchase your snake so that way you wont run into any troubles.

Could'nt have said it better myself. Khagan.

Thanks heaps! That's really helpful.
I've been looking into terrariums lately... what size is best for Antaresias?

For a young antaresia i'd sugesst just going to Big W/Kmart etc and buying a 7 litre Sistema plastic tub, they are clear with blue clips. They cost about $10 and will last a young antaresia for a few months and the top clips on very securely which is important cause lil antaresia are lil houdini =p.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266

lol that link is at the top of my favourites list!!! that is the best way for you to set up a hatchling/juvie set up.
i think a spotted or stimsons is a good choice. i just picked up my second spotted today and she is gorgeous! very friendly! and my other spotted i've had for just over a year and he is also placid. never bitten. and they are both cute snakes.
make sure you get an established feeder/shedding record. and speak to breeders in your area. at this time of year you will probably get 7 month old snakes minimum as they would have hatched around december january. so this is a good age as they have normally been feeding for 6 months if they're good.

hey mate ... antaresia's are defo a first timer's choice... i have a childreni and he is now 9tmhs old... the most placid little man you'll ever find... and he is still in his plastic tub, which is placed in his enclosure...

my enclosure is 80cm long, 60cm high and 50cm wide... enclosures do not need to be tall ... a long cage would be more beneficial... and even tho they reckon childreni's are ground dewellers, my little man loves to hang out on his branch bout 8hours a day ha...

IMO do not buy a snake from a petshop unless they have a great deal knowledge on snakes... breeders are the best way to go and you'll prolly save urself $150-$200 ... i picked up my childreni for $200 and with the recession and stuff going on, i have seen prices on childreni's and stimmies drop a fair bit on here too... u can always look up the for sales section on APS or go check out :

Search AHC | ReptilesDownUnder.com

www.herptrader.com

for classifieds ...

hope that helps....

also try and invest in this book, KEEPING CHILDREN'S PYTHONS, By Greg Fyfe and Darren Green ... for $13 it's pumping with a plethora of information ... defo will be a big help to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back