Help is my hatchie starving???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani161

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm a new first time owner of a Coastal Carpet Python!!!
It is approx 9 weeks old and she has only eat once (about three weeks ago) and only shed once.
I tried to feed her a pinky rat last night be she didn't take it, I left it in the cage overnight but still it didn't eat it.
It's first feed was a pinky mouse but I've been told to get it onto rats ASAP as its hard to make the change later.
I had it in a large clip lock bin but now I've put it in a smaller one to try and get the temp up higher.
Although it doesn't seem to want to sit near the heat mat, it likes the cool end.
I only have a 5w heat mat.
Can anyone give me some advice???

Can anyone give me some advice???

First of all measure the cage temps min/max.Also how big is the cage?

If it ate a mouse before then forget about rats and offer mice again.

if she eats mice, stick with mice till you need to move to rats, furred food is better for them than pinkies. Ive never had any probs moving from mice to rats, if you do, defrost a rat and mouse in the same bag, that way they'll both smell yummy.

whats temp is the 5 watt heat mat giving you?

Where the mat is, is about 30 deg but up at the top of the enclosure (where is sitting in the branch) is only about 24-25deg!
The container is only about 40cm long x 12cm high x 20 wide.
Thanks I'll try a mouse, should I wait or give it ago tonight?

Get it a container with a bit less length and a bit more height, coastals are arboreal more than terrestrial.

This is only a temp. enclosure I will be ordering a larger tall enclosure for it this week. Which will have a light rather than a mat.
and would it be ok for me to put it in there straight away or will I have to wait until it is bigger??

30's on the low end of a good basking temp, can u get it to around 33-35?

i like to keep young snakes in small tubs till theyre feeding well, but if the bigger enclosure has better temps a move might be better. Id try and up the temps in the tub and get it feeding in there first.

if its not on a thermostat, then yes, you would need a bigger mat....a snug hide on the current mat would help the snake warm through better if you dont already have one on there.

try the new enclosure when it arrives, just make sure it has plenty of spots to hide so it feels secure. How big is the new enclosure going to be?

How do I get higher temp? Do I need a bigger mat?
Cant wait to get a light and a basking perch for it.

bit big for a hatchy, but very nice for when its older,...

id invest in a bigger mat (theyre not expensive) and thermostat for now, you'll need a thermostat for the new enclosure anyway, just make sure its one that will suit the needs for both.
(ie, dimming thermostat if youre using lights in the new enclosure)

Approach the person who sold it to you. Before selling to first timers the snakes should be smashing the food consistently without issue.

"TWO IDEAS" make keeping and "feeding" hatchies a lot easier than normal 1/ perches, 90%+ of hatchies/snakes love to perch given a chance 2/ feeding mice, get them smashing mice and worry about rats later, especially if you haven't had a lot of experience with hatchies. solar 17 :)

Approach the person who sold it to you. Before selling to first timers the snakes should be smashing the food consistently without issue.

Only if the new keeper has things set up correctly and in this case I think a 5 watt heat mat wouldn't be supplying anywhere near enough heat,especially of a night.New setups should be tested and adjusted if necessary well before putting a snake into it,

I had the enclosure set up prior to bringing the hatchy home, I thought the enclosure would be hot enough since the hot area was up to 30 deg but clearly its not.

Am I reading the original post correctly that it has only fed once about 3 weeks ago? Or has it only had one feed since youve had it?

Thank you to everyone who has given me help with this, I think I will be purchasing a larger Mat and thermostat this afternoon, need my little baby to be comfy in there new home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back