Help is my hatchie starving???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the enclosure set up prior to bringing the hatchy home, I thought the enclosure would be hot enough since the hot area was up to 30 deg but clearly its not.

Would be wise to check the min/max temps very late at night or very early in the morning (6-7am is best) to see what those temps are actually getting down to.

so it has only ever had one feed they shouldn't have sold you that snake until its feeding properly i just got some hatchies that haven't eaten in 4 months 2 force feeds now they are eating by them selves
but as other have said it could be due to temps bump it up
also get the pinky by the head and squash it and try leaving it in its hide over night also cover the enclosure with a towel to make it feel secure and dont keep checking wait till the next morning

i not telling you to force feed tho as that is only a final option

I picked up two hatchies from a reputable breeder last week. After a four hour car trip I slipped em into new enclosures and both smashed a mouse each straight away. This is the way it should be. I personally also don't sell any hatchies until they consistently strike and feed on their own.

I'm hoping I don't have to force feed, I'll up the temp and try a pink mouse first.

I picked up two hatchies from a reputable breeder last week. After a four hour car trip I slipped em into new enclosures and both smashed a mouse each straight away. This is the way it should be. I personally also don't sell any hatchies until they consistently strike and feed on their own.

Now I'm worried :cry:

so it has only ever had one feed they shouldn't have sold you that snake until its feeding properly i just got some hatchies that haven't eaten in 4 months 2 force feeds now they are eating by them selves
but as other have said it could be due to temps bump it up
also get the pinky by the head and squash it and try leaving it in its hide over night also cover the enclosure with a towel to make it feel secure and dont keep checking wait till the next morning

i not telling you to force feed tho as that is only a final option

If I do force feed it how soon should that be? I've never owned a snake before but it seems fine, it was moving around the enclosure when I turned all the lights off last night but just wouldn't eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I do force feed it how soon should that be? I've never owned a snake before but it seems fine, it was moving around the enclosure when I turned all the lights off last night but just wouldn't eat.

Don't find some one that can help you as.uk said these snake.were 4 months old

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried the usual little tricks like putting a pin through the pinkies head to get some juices out of the brain or rub a skink all over the mouse? Somethimes sticking a little gecko skin to the head works well to.

First thing that needs to be done is to make sure the temps are correct and offering a mouse as that is what it fed on before.Trying anything else before those two things could most likely makes things even worse.

Or give it back to the breeder, with refund, and get them to get it feeding for you as it should have been in the first place. As said earlier, especially being a newby you shouldn't even have been sold the snake until was feeding well.

I found a little wee in its cage today, does that mean anything?

Yes it deficated.
Follow the instruction given too you, up the temps a little and try feeding pinky mice as it was feeding on before and then report back on the results.

Tried a pinky mouse last night, didn't take it :( I even pierced a couple of holes in the head and squeezed some juices out and left in overnight but still didn't eat it.
Do I keep trying every night or will it get stressed?
When should I take it back to the buyer to feed? Or should I take it to a vet?
The guy I bought it off hadn't fed it for 3 weeks.

Tried a pinky mouse last night, didn't take it :( I even pierced a couple of holes in the head and squeezed some juices out and left in overnight but still didn't eat it.
Do I keep trying every night or will it get stressed?
When should I take it back to the buyer to feed? Or should I take it to a vet?
The guy I bought it off hadn't fed it for 3 weeks.
I have not heard of any breeders not feeding their hatchlings for three weeks unless they aren't established feeders yet. Was it sold to you cheap as a non feeder? Like others have said get your temperatures and enclosure right first then try other little tricks lick scenting (skink tail) which worked for me when I was sold a non feeder cheaply.

Last edited:
Where r u from as there may be someone off here that u could go to for help and c how your set up should look like

Doesn't sound like a really cheap one but it does sound like a non feeder. Either get some help from the breeder or as Ozimid said maybe get someone local to give you a hand.

attachment.php

This is my baby

Ok her's some really basic set up pics...keep it simple till u got ya hatchie eating like a champ...dont wry about making the click clack a palace its just basic with water and heat 1/3 and as u will c both my small boxes r in other larger box /enclosure in a quiet corner of my bedroom so the snakes feel secure....no need for a hide at this stage as if the snake wants to hide it will go under the paper towel/newspaper which ever u prefer...as u will c in one of the pics...........JUST REMEMBER right now lets concentrate on getting it settled and feeding...time for bigger enclosures and fancy branches can wait a while!!!
View attachment 288126View attachment 288127View attachment 288128View attachment 288129

Last edited:
OK so I have moved it into the bedroom and It's much warmer there. Even seemed to be a bit feistier this morning when I check it at around 6am. I will try and feed it again tonight - will keep you all up to date.
Thanks

try senting the food, either skink or chicken then use tweezers to move food around and wriggle it to try and get a feeding response. also try warming the mouse.

but only try feeding it after its had at least 24 hours in the enclosure with heat over 32 but under 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back