Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerinamc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Have just "adopted" a carpet python. Have no idea how old he is, what sex he is, he was being mistreated, so I've taken over looking after him. He's just lying in his tank, have got it all set up, took him to pet shop to get right size feed for him, he's not interested, so am just wondering if it's because he's been in a pillowcase for a few weeks, and now he's got room! He very calm, I've handled him, and he hasn't tried to bite, maybe he's fatigued?

let him settle in and warm up. I'd wait a week before feeding. is it a large snake? tell us more about "him"

He's about 80-90cm long, very calm, beautiful looking, I don't know much about him! He was in a pillowcase when I found him 5days ago, not treated well by former owner. From Internet pictures I think he's a carpet python.

A qld carpet python

Last edited:
are you able to post pictures? also you found him some where at the past owners or just in a pillow case some where?

Can you provide some more information about how you've got the enclosure set up, if possible pictures would be best.

trolling?

help- Are you licensed? what type of carpet python is it? what temps are you keeping it at and what in? what was the right size food? pillow case for a few weeks?

Just about to go on comp, on iPad and iPad won't let me upload pics.

Wow what a way to intro yourself! Good on you for helping the snake have a life. I'm just a noob so not in any position to offer much advice but I would love to hear the full story of how you got him etc. Do you already have other snakes?

Good luck.

A "friend" of my brother, has gone "away" and has heaps of different type animals at his house. When my brother went to get the dog, we found so many reptiles. Other friends of his had taken most of them until we found a tied pillowcase on the bench. When we opened it up, out popped my new baby! I immediately fell in love, and "adopted" him. That was 5 days ago. I've now gotta him in a tank, with a branch and rock hidey hole, a heat lamp, water bowl, and took him to the pet shop to get his food. They gave me frozen baby rats, but we think he was fed live ones before, as he's got a few nicks in him. Now he is just lying on top of a rock, under the lamp,, and hasn't moved. I took him out and put him in a box to try and feed him, even jiggling the thawed rat in front of him, but he just wanted to wind himself around my wrist. I assumed he was cold, so left him on my wrist for about 29 mind, then put him back in the tank. Since then, he's just been chilling on the rock not found much at all

I have a reptile licence, as I've had my turtle for 2 years. I'm unsure if I'm being cruel by not handing him to the RSPCA, but I'm a softie, and instantly bond with mistreated animals. I'm in love with him already! I don't think the person who had him intended to leave him in a pillowcase, as he has other snakes in ranks, I think he just got arrested by surprise, to not be able to house him properly. From what I can figure out was he'd been in the pillowcase about 5 days before I got him, and I have a feeling he may have been caught in the bush, but am unsure, cause he's so calm, so I didn't want to put him back in the bush I case he wasn't.

Last edited:
Hmmm legal ownership of the collection will be an interesting one, unless he is prepared to sign them over to people from where he is...

All the other reptiles are gone, he would sign my one over to me, not worried about that. I'm pretty sure all the others that were taken have gone to good homes. I think this one was overlooked, because it was left in the pillowcase, I assume. I think the RSPCA are taking the other dogs, he had a few, wevev got one, he's going away for a long time.

Yes. I'm licenced. He's a qld carpet python, he's on baby rats, took him to the pet shop to get right size. What is trolling?

Last edited:
I'd contact the authorities and tell them your mate left the snake with you or ask him to sign it over. Tell the authorities he's abandoned and you're licensed and more than willing to take him on. I'd let the little one settle in and warm up for the next couple of days at least before trying to feed again. Make sure the food is super warm before trying. I stick mine in a couple of bags and put it in hot water. Keep handling to the absolute minimum just to help it settle in

i think its wrong to assume that everyone who posts for the first time asking for help is a troll Venomous1111....

Kerinamc, what temp is his hot end, and cold end. Have you got yourself a thermometer? As said before the more info you give the more answers you'll get.

If he is wild caught you wont be able to keep him as he wont be on your friends licence, as far as the other legalities go, i wouldnt have the answers to help you.

Post some bics of your new friend and and his house and you'll get some great help on here hun!

Thank you! I don't have a thermometer. So, I need to get one of those. My turtle tank has one, I'm up there with turtles, just not snakes! Turtles pissed off I think, cause snakes got his heating lamp! What the best wattage for snake lamps, and what should the temp in the tank be?
Im trying to

Once you get pics up and people can tell you what sort of snake it is definitely, then youll be able to get a better answer on the temps, but id go with at 32-33 to start with. Wattage will all depend on what temps you need, size of enclosure etc.

you said in the other thread that you were using a heat rock? of so, get rid of that immediately as they are known to cause burns.

Ok. I'll take that out. He's not using it anyhow. He's on a big rock that I put in, with a hot water bottle behind it, he seems to be content to just lie on that rock, and not the heated one. The hot water bottle is laying behind the tank, not in it, as it was sweating the tank.

imagejpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back