Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that pic isnt working hun, go to advanced, look for the little paper clip, upload pic and then hit insert in line.

Where is advanced?

imagejpeg

I'm on my iPad, so it won't let me upload. As soon as I get home, I'll jump on computer and upload a few pics

As far as the heat rock being bad that is about as fraught a topic as do I use a mat or heat cord. Plenty of people have been using heat rocks for years without any issues, all electrical apliances have mishaps and there is always some horror story that happened to a friend of a friend of a friend of mine. As with all equipment you need to check it every now and then and make sure it is operating in the correct temp range.

If he like the rock fine, put a heat lamp over it, I was going to use a heat rock but had some nice black basalt which I heat by lamp and my spotted python loves to curl up on and around it when he emerges of an evening.

He seems to like the hot water bottle, it's not in the tank, just behind it, on the rock he likes, which is from the yard, which I soaked before hand, I just wrap a towel around the bottle, and lie it next to the rock outside the tank. He hasn't been on the heat rock that I know about. I've seen those heat pads on eBay.

Heat mats also have a bad rep... the ones I have have a built in thermostat. which is something else that you'll need to control the temps.

i think its wrong to assume that everyone who posts for the first time asking for help is a troll Venomous1111....
It was just the way the first post came across is why I wrote 'trolling?" the op messaged me and it's all good.. I think it's wrong to assume that I assume that everyone "posts for the first time asking for help is a troll" but it's all good it's a internet forum everyone has there own opinions I won't take it to heart.. I'm sorry if you didn't agree with my trolling comment.. Back to work I go..

Its all good. Venomous1111 and I sorted it out. It's a strange story! But true!

I could have worded that better, my apologies.

My concern with it is that if someone asks for help and then gets called a troll they may not come back and see what advice has been posted for them and then their animal goes without.

We took on a bredli once who had been mistreated; he had very very minimal heat (1 bathroom heat lamp in a huge tank) and had been frozen for a while. It took him about 4-5 days just warming up before he became active, cruising the tank and looking hungry. Now he's a good size, happy, and has even helped make some eggs :)
It sounds like, apart from just a few bugs, you're doing okay. I'd like to second NTLS on the heat rock; I've never heard great things about them, a nice heat lamp would be fine. Hook it up to a good thermostat to control the temps, around 35 max hot end, 25 cool end. Wait for him to warm up and become active at night, then attempt a feed with a nice warm thawed rat.
Lucky little guy to find such a caring person, welcome to APS :D As far as the legalities go they should sort themselves out in time, just keep being open and honest. The first thing I'd do is go and visit your mate with a bit of paperwork; find out if the snake was wild-caught or not and go from there.
Good luck!

Thanks nighthawk. I think that's what's wrong, he just needs time to heat up. Visit to the pet shop tomorrow! I've learnt more from this site than all the other research I've done on the web! Has anyone ever bought tank items from eBay? I'm a bit iffy, pet stores can be rip offs!

Some great stuff available on Ebay. I got a number of things that way as our petshop tends to charge triple what you would pay otherwise.

Yeah, I saw the ones from hong kong, no thanks. The one I was looking at that sold heat pads was from australia. The pet shop charged me $40 for 5 frozen rats. Most of the stuff they had seemed expensive to me. My turtle set up was cheaper than what they were charging.

Where are you Kerinamc? Some of the guys here might be able to put you onto cheaper food suppliers in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back