Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have been in perth for the last 4 years and now that im relocateing back to brisbane iv been looking around the net i cannot belive how much herp prices have changed since i left, when i just left rough scales were only just made availible at 28k per pair, green tree pythons were 6600 each minimum per hatchling and most breeders had a 1-2 year waiting list, i cant wait to get to brisbane rough scales and gtp's look so much more affordable not to mention the price crash bhp's and womas have had womas were 2k each when i left and bhp's 1k each all the carpets are cheap as chips so jungles and bredlii's ill definatly be buying!

anyone know what morelia spilota imbricata goes for everywhere bar W.A?

alot of animals are out on the market now mate more and more people are learning how to breed the way things are goin in a few years time coastals ile be goin for 20 - 30 bucks, bredlis, diamonds around the 100 and your gtps and roughies 300-500 ive bred stimmies two years in a row i think ime gunna give them a break for a couple of years there just seems to be too many on the market out there anyone that thinks they are gunna breed snakes for an income will find it a tightly drawn market with a lot of competition.

I believe the price drop isn't a reflection in the world economy, just selfishness and stupidity.

I've seen those snakes over the last 2 years enter the marketplace at much lower prices than suit demand. Even if they were just wanting to get rid of them quickly for a quick buck, the prices have been much lower than necessary, and I reckon it's damaged the hobby to an extent.

Price is really all about supply and demand. The herps we keep generally breed well and the captive herp population is growing quicker than the population of herpers to purchase and look after them.

RSP's when there is only a handful available will be expensive. When there are hundreds of hatchlings every year they are significantly cheaper. They will be cheaper again when there are thousands available each season.

The prices have a long way to drop!

The online reptile community does not reflect the entirety of the hobby. I think a large number of owners and purchasers are people who own one animal as a novelty like a gold fish or budgie. These people don't buy online, they go direct to dealers or pet shops and are usually happy to pay asking price.

I think we may see people who breed as a hobby selling animals for 20-30 bucks maybe to whole salers and other online keepers but full time breeders, dealers and petshops will still be getting paid a respectable price for stock.

What frustrates me, is that reptiles are easy to breed, and first time keepers can do it, and this is why the market is flooded, and the prices drop. But the skill is not in breeding them... it is in raising the babies healthily.
It is all the really great breeders who dedicate their life to knowing these animals inside and out, that stop at nothing to give their babies the best start, that are losing out. I have met so many people who tell stories of buying beardies really cheap and lose them within a week or two... there is a reason why they were cheap...
That's my vent anyway...

for pythons i generly like to buy no younger then 1 year 2 year even better adult even better (but not to old)

For imbricata, you are if you can, best to buy some in Perth. There isn't much being breed over here, not advertised anyway. Price would be about the same maybe a touch more than breeder prices in WA.

Ive had my rep licience for two years. I first thing i noticed was i dont have to breed anything. I could get what i wanted at a reasonable price if i was patient and watched the classifieds. By the time i could have bought a pair of hatchling and breed them they would have been worth half as much and hard to get rid of, living two hours away from an airport.
First i bought a female coastal carpet hatchling beutiful example of wild form $130.
Then i bought a unsexed jungle python hatchling for $150. which looks like its going to be really yellow. Its better than the ones i see advertised for $600 today.
Then a water python from the N.T, a water python hatchling $180. my best snake.
Then a 2yo female rough scale python. $1100. a nice dark rsp.
I just recieved a rough scale python pair for $500each. can't wait to see how they look as adults.
Im lucky enough to enter the hobby as rsp's become available, as they will be the first snakes i attempt to breed.
Can someone tell me why black headed python were so expensive?. their everywhere in the wild. are they a difficult one to breed?

all i have at the moment is 2 pair of these

Attachments

• male carpet.jpg
    male carpet.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
  • new girl1.jpg
    new girl1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 85
what age did you start feeding rats? I have a fat two yo coastal who could just about swallow a rat.

these were on rats from the getgo altho one of the females refuses rats which p!sses me off so she gets 6-10 mice a feed ill get her to come around after the move

when dealing with hatchlings its good to get them onto rats asap or even if you can start them on day old rat pinkys

Ive found my coastal will switch back and forth from mice to small rats.
What age was your when it swallowed large full grown rats?.
I just breed my first rats. they arnt even a day old. i want to see what colours they are.

mine have been in my possession from when they were 4-5ft and are now 6ft so i have no clue on age

shane - the second one is beutifull she is great but its a shame she may be abit skinny for this years breeding not much time to shove food down her between now and cooling plus the move might upset things

my second pair are quiet nice to with less orange though but they are conditioned well and the male of that pair is a frigging garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back