Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabby95

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm Gabby, recently bought my first python. I have always been a snake and in general reptile fan so after a trip to a reptile stocking pet shop I saw the very gorgeous Bredli Python. He (I'm just assuming Gavin's a he) was a very spur of the moment buy, I fell in love with his patterns and had to have him. I've had him now for about 2 months, he's a great feeder, had his first shed here a few days ago, the only issue is he is VERY snappy trying to get him out :( sometimes he does settle down after being out but other times he will strike at almost anything, any ideas how to help with these issues?
So hopefully through this place all my questions can be answered, so thank you in advance to everyone for your help it will be muchly appreciated! :)

Hey there welcome to the forum!
Do you know how old he is? Usually it takes a week or more for the snake to settle into its new home. You shouldn't bother it too much at this point.
Did you manage to get a source of heating for the snake also?
Love the Bredli species :)

Hi, thank you!
I was told he's about a year old, although the shop assistant wasn't too sure.
Yeah heating source is fine
So do I :)
Thanks

once he settles in just handle him for about 5-10 mins a day. If he is in shed then let him be as they can get a little cranky. After a feed don't handle for 3 days. Apart from that the best way is to handle him gently but with confidence.
All the best :)

Thanks heaps! I'll give it a go and see what happens :) Hopefully I'll still have all my fingers ;) haha

try using a dark pillow case to help handle him. He will be less likely to strike at it compared to pointy fingers. Thats all I got hahaha.
Best of luck mate!

gloves are always a good option gabby95 ive got a year and a half old bredli had 4 days hes a litle jumpy skitish getting him out mine dont strike but for my peice of mind i like to use gloves its more about me becoming confident than him , lol hes name is Blaze :)

I always use a hook to get any of my snakes out then use my hands .

hi I'm a newbie myself been at a couple months now. I've got 3 snakes now lol I have a nice little Stimsons python a tanami woma and a peter Krauss jungle carpet python all are around the 6 month old mark my woma was a little bully at first but now she is excellent I've still not been bitten and another member is snapped she can vouch for how grouchy she was lol and the jungle carpet is even worse but I've still not got a bite from it :) I don't use my hook very much anymore except when they're in really bad moods lol like last night my woma was cranky because she has opaque eyes but didn't strike once and I held her in my hand while cleaning her click clak :) all I use is a old wire clothes hanger with shrink tube on the hook and half way up the handle :) now before I get drilled for improvising I am a first year apprentice farrier on almost no wages lol and live by myself so I'm on a budget lol but good luck with your bredli they are beautiful snakes I actually come from Alice springs an I've seen 2 wild ones :)

Thanks chrisbredli85, gloves sound like a good option :) good name haha

I think investing in a hook might be the way to go also, until he's used to being handled, thanks andynic07

I think your improvisation is really clever, I understand the low pay issue, I'm a stable hand lol :p thanks for the tips matt_oakford

Hey there welcome to the forum!
Do you know how old he is? Usually it takes a week or more for the snake to settle into its new home. You shouldn't bother it too much at this point.
Did you manage to get a source of heating for the snake also?
Love the Bredli species :)

She's had the snake for 2 months, I think it's settled.

To the OP. Don't bother with gloves, just more chance for your snakes teeth to get stuck in them. A snake that size has a painless bite. I'd just confidently reach in and scoop the snake up from underneath, otherwise a hook is a good idea. Snakes with prehensile tails can be hard to get off hooks sometimes though.

Hi Gabby and welcome to the forum.

I find that one of, if not, the most important thing when handling Snakes is confidence. The moment you hesitate is usually when you get bitten. The Shakes can sense it.

Thanks Tobe404, luckily haven't been bitten yet, but I will make sure I'm very confident, I'm more nervous about him getting hurt!

She's had the snake for 2 months, I think it's settled.

To the OP. Don't bother with gloves, just more chance for your snakes teeth to get stuck in them. A snake that size has a painless bite. I'd just confidently reach in and scoop the snake up from underneath, otherwise a hook is a good idea. Snakes with prehensile tails can be hard to get off hooks sometimes though.
I find I can hook part of the body and the natural reaction of my morelia (prehensile tail) is to grip on to something in the enclosure and that is when I put my hand in and gently remove the snake from its hold. Mine do not tend to try and bite once they have had the hook lift part of them up. As for my aspidites they are fine once the hook has touched them and made them aware of your presence. If my snake grabs the hook it is easy to slide them off. I am with you on the gloves though , they protect the handler but endanger the reptile.

I find I can hook part of the body and the natural reaction of my morelia (prehensile tail) is to grip on to something in the enclosure and that is when I put my hand in and gently remove the snake from its hold. Mine do not tend to try and bite once they have had the hook lift part of them up. As for my aspidites they are fine once the hook has touched them and made them aware of your presence. If my snake grabs the hook it is easy to slide them off. I am with you on the gloves though , they protect the handler but endanger the reptile.

Depends on the snake though, some just grab onto it and will bite the crap out of you if you so much as touch them when trying to get them off.

Depends on the snake though, some just grab onto it and will bite the crap out of you if you so much as touch them when trying to get them off.
That is a fair statement if you have had this happen, I have not had it happen. That is the good thing about this site, many different ways . There are many ways to skin a cat and as long as it works it is right.

That is a fair statement if you have had this happen, I have not had it happen. That is the good thing about this site, many different ways . There are many ways to skin a cat and as long as it works it is right.

Yeah, it mainly only seems to be a problem with arboreal and semi arboreal snakes. Terrestrial snakes seem to care much less about their tails being touched, though it really comes down to the individual snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back