hi all, don't be a stranger.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yeldarb

Reaction score
hi all i am just getting familiar with this site, still haven't checked it all out yet. new to snake keeping, so new i haven't got one yet. i am getting the vavarium set up and it is nearly done. just need to find some natural hides, and some substrate of some sort (any suggestions of substarte for a spotted pyhton?). then i can purchase my snake. i am looking at getting a spotted pyhton (Antaresia maculosa). again if any one can suggest a place to purchase one? it would of great value. any way i hope to meat many people with a common interest, i hope to gain great knowledge from those with experience. you know, you can read all the books you like. but practice is the best learning tool. so thanks for your time and don't be a stranger.
cheers yeldarb

well i dont live in vic so i cant help you out with the finding part but you could go for some Astroturf and some people have used breeders choice but it isnt recomended because can get caught in there throat and will expand in there stomach when eaten but the best option id think is good old newspaper cheap and effective

How old are you wanting this spotted to be?

Theres a guy down here in Melbourne who has some nice juvies. Not sure what he has left, had a few when i was their. Maybe he'll still have some left when you're closer to purchasing...

Hi Welcome to the APS im new too. I noticed your looking at getting a spotted python that's great i have had mine for 5 weeks.

hi spottedjayne,
hopping to purchase very soon. how is your spotty going. is this your first snake, as it will be mine. but you have to start somewhere, been told they are a good snake to start with. all the best with your snake. by the way where did you purchase it from, if you don't mind me asking.
cheers yeldarb

hi iadoreherps
you are correct about the name, you know there are so many users that i did not like to add a number to my name. so why no put it backwards. any way hi to you.

Hey mate im new here too, there is certainly alot to learn from some people on this site. As for the substrate it depends on whether you care about looks and whethere your going to feed him in the enclosure or not and how much effort your prepared to put into cleaning.

I Think most people on here use newspaper because its easy to clean and doesnt cause any problems while feeding in the enclosure. I used to use bark but its too hard to clean and the snake can accidently swallow it while eating.

Hi

I dont mind you asking! I purchased him from the pet shop here in gladstone i would rather deal with private breeders however i was in the moment and he had only been there for 2 days so he was healthy. He is really good to handle he can be a bit flighty but should grow out of that in time with more handling. I got my first bite last night with teeth wasn't very pleasant but it shocked me more than anything cause he is usually very reluctant to bite and only head butts. Yes he is my first snake. Good luck in finding one and keep me posted as i dont know anyone who owns one and its good to swap notes.

cheers jayne

i personally use aspen snake bedding...good stufff, a bit on the expensive side if u have a heap of snakes but its worth it when it comes to cleaning...looks great too...to give you an idea...heres a few pics of the aspen i use and a couple hatchies.

Last edited:
thanks ssssmithy,
it does look good, do you feed youre snakes in the enclosure? if so does this substrate interfere with the feeding. as some people have mentioned that the snake can swollow the substrate sometimes.

mate how much is that stuff? it looks really good i reckon the snake would like it aswell

i get it for around 20bucks a bag and it goes along way...unlike news paper they do their business and u replace the whole bedding this you just take out the effected area. yes i feed all my snakes in there enclosures so when i hook them out they know they arent getting fed. when i warm my rats and mice up in warm water i make sure they are completely dry before feeding as not to get any aspen stuck but also it compacts down so rarely any aspen gets on the food. yer they seem to love it..go digging and some of my hatchies make little burrows in it at the warm end of there click clacks.
smithy

Hello and welcome i am also new to this site i find news paper is the best and easy to clean not to mention cheap. I have 1 diamond but 1 childrens, 2 Bredli, 1 darwin on the way arrive next week and they will all be on news paper good luck.

Hey Bradley, my spotted lives on red desert sand but is removed into a feeding click clack with newspaper for her dinner. You could travel to Victorian Reptiles in Hoppers Crossing thats where i bought mine from or check the link to Animal Attraction(they are the same people) Matt is great to get info from,really helpful.
Heres a pic of princess in her world

Attachments

• PC190229.jpg
    PC190229.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 67
  • PC040140.jpg
    PC040140.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back