Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a unconfirmed report of coastal capets getting over 5.5m, so i would think it reasonable to assume there have been some well over 4m IMO. The biggest i have seen is about 3.5m and i have seen a few close to that size. 3m is about the normal large size from what i have seen.

Here is the article i would find it strange for an area to have a reputation for large snakes not far away from where carpets over 3m are common(bunya mountains) if there was nothing behind it at all.

Im aware something in a paper is not real evidence, but neither are alot of measurements in herp books. Im sure if someone wanted to make up completely false snake stories to impress ppl it would have been a 5m king brown or tiapan anyway :lol:

I personally doubt the snake would have been the claimed size but unless someone has a pic of the snake its a bit hard to tell either way.

Attachments

• carpet snake article.jpg
    carpet snake article.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 101
Ashleigh:];792728 said:
So olives and coastals get about the same size??

Hornet your coastals seemed small though (no offence) to how big olives get quickly.

how dare you call mine small, shes offended, nah, the olives in captivity are only relitavly small bout the size of a coastal but from what i have heard, grow faster, coastals never stop growing and it takes them along time to get huge

I have seen a coastal at 12 foot. my coastals mum is 12 foot

wats the biggest snake u can get in sustralia?

Its either a oenpelli rock python, scrub python, carpet python or a pilbara olive python(L.O.Barroni)

Anyone who claims to actually know is full of it IMO as no one has seen every snake, so no one can do anytihng but make an educated guess.

TSZUE do u hav a pic of your 12 foot long mum pleas

i know a while back i read that a scrubbie was officially measured at 26 feet so i dont know if it been the biggest recorded or not.

G'day guys,

I've got a bit of an interest in outsized Carpet Pythons, and the two biggest ones I know of have not exceed 12 feet. There was the "Intergrade" from Northern NSW, that was legitimately measured at 11.5 feet, and there was a big girl I owned that was 3.05 metres.

Unfortunately, like a lot of fish, snakes seem to shrink at the mere mention of a tape measure. Some snakes LOOK so huge, that their actual length can be overestimated. For instance, someone posted a photo of a "13.5 foot" long Diamond Python a few weeks ago...

Take care

Jonno

13.5 mtr dimond yeah right. was it real or did they make it up.

G'day Richboy,

The snake was real, but the size was grossly overestimated. It would have been around two metres long, judging by the photos.

I would be very suprised if there is a snake that grows larger than scrubbies in Australia. I regularly hear about 20 ft scrubs, but never that big in any other species. The largest coastal I have seen was 14 ft, oenpelli was 15ft ft and olive 13 ft. I would imagine that oenpellis and olives can get bigger and possibly coastals as well. But, if that were the case then so can scrubbies. If coastals, olives got any bigger I am sure there would be many more reports about them, but there isn't.

So, going of what you regularly see and hear, you can base the fact that scrubs are more than likely Australias largest snake if you compare that to the largest known sizes of coastals and olives and oenpellis. It is simply a deduction from what is already known.

i am fairly new to the herp world, but it seems that scrubbies are consistently bigger on average than olives or coastals, since u cant get oepelli's or L. olivaceous. barroni then i would think Scrubs are the biggest you can "get".

I think I read in reptile Aust last month that a coastal was the 3rd heaviest snake recorded.
Could be wrong though i read it a while ago. There are some big ones in the Tweed valley, consistently 10 foot. I have often wondered what might lurk out in the Border ranges.
i had to drive completely off the road one day to avoid one that was crossing the rd. It took up all but 4 or 5 ft of the rd. i called it 12-14 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back