how to convince my mum to let me keep snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewmaster

Not so new Member
Reaction score
well this is pi**ing me off more than you could imagine:x
last month as i was saving for my new snake mum was fine with me keeping one in my room. Today had a talk and the answer is now a "NO, you can move out if you want a snake." I've just finished school and will be starting at uni next month and will have a fair bit of time to look after my new snake. I've told mum that its 100% my responsibility, i will pay for all food, yatta yatta....still no budgine :|

what can i do? anyone want to rent me a room near mt gravatt uni in Brisbane where i can keep my future snake collection and can easily access uni? any advice on what to say to attempt to persuade?

thanks heaps everyone, appreciate it

Depends on what her reasons are for saying no....
Is she scared of them?
Worried about the expense?
Thinks you are not responsible enough?

apparantly she thinks they are scary and gross??
not worried about expense, i work and can afford them
she says she has worked all of her life to buy a nice house and doesnt want me to have snakes in my room.

as said above it depends why she's saying no. my mum said no, then said yes to a little one. i ended up getting a coastal as my first snake, then 4 weeks later a spotted, then a few months after that i had 9 snakes!
snakes do not take a lot to look after. feeding once a week, and generally an enclosure clean out once a week too. if you can find a good food supplier you aren't going to spend a lot on it after initial set up costs. depending on the type of snake you're getting depends on enclosure size for adult. but all young snakes start out in little 20L click clacks so not a lot of room required for the first year of life.
she won't need to go near it at all, and as long as you've set it up correctly your snake won't escape and there will be no fear of the little thing going to attack her in the middle of the night... :p jokes

haha she can come to my place and play with scary and gross DJ. lol. she 3.5foot coastal menace who's never even hissed since i bought her 2 years ago! :p maybe you should take her along to a pet shop or friendly breeder who will let her see the tiny little bubs. then you can pick out a nice 'friendly' one that isn't bitey etc
plus once people actually touch a snake they realise they aren't slimey, but actually quite soft and velvety

apparantly she thinks they are scary and gross??
Do you have a friend with a placid, lovely natured snake you could introduce her to, so she can see just how magnificent and loveable they are? :)

not worried about expense, i work and can afford them
No probs there then!

she says she has worked all of her life to buy a nice house and doesnt want me to have snakes in my room.
That's a little harder.
You can do some research on the net and show her some enclosures/vivs that are beautiful pieces of furniture in their own right. You may have to spend a little more on the right enclosure for her to be happy with it.
Or, if you are handy with a hammer and drill, you could make your own?
My son and his Dad spent a couple of hundred dollars and a full afternoon, and made 2 white melamine, glass fronted enlcosures 5 1/2 foot high by 2 1/2 wide, that I would be happy to have out where visitors could see (they are in a bedroom that got taken over by reps :))

amy where in Brisbane are you? il let you know my mums next day off from work LOL

start keeping spiders instead, that`ll convince her snakes aint so bad!!

start keeping spiders instead, that`ll convince her snakes aint so bad!!

TRUE TRUE!!

My son started with one snake when he was 11......he is 14 now and has 5, and we are contemplating number 6 :)

If he had asked for spiders, the conversation would have ended right there!

my mum loves spiders, this is the hard part..
i dont get her!

well my mum said i could never get a snake till i moves up but a few days after she said that i brought her to a friends house who has snake then you let your mum talk to the guy with snakes, meanwhile you handle the snake and after your mum has talked with the guy with snakes and has seen you handle the snake, she will ventually say yes. believe me. just keep peruading her and eventually you will have a massive collection

i had a deal with my mummy i could get a small snake instead of a dog.. and now i have both plus extras... maybe start with dragons they aren as scary looking and then not such a big leap to snakes that waht i did

i was told i wasnt allowed anything what so ever. then over time after constant nagging. i got my carpet python haha. now have 2 of them and beardeds. and a third coming end of the year. after i get rid of baby dragons. (btw got baby heads out atm)

just keep persisting, i brought my little spotted home one day without my mum knowing 4 chirstmas, she freaked out, but after a while she just got used to it. She hardly sees her, never has to do anything to her, maybe i push her to hold her a few times but she still says no. I guess next chirstmas i'll be bringing home a bredli python :) another addition to my well loved animal family.

take her to someones house with snakes if she says no then just ask again every few weeks lol it took me 4 years to convince my mum to let me have a snake and now iv got 3. start with something small (anteresia family) so its not too scary for her. and dont puish it onto her. let her gradually get used to it and then one day she will say "theyr not so bad"

haha not MY mum, she likes to win, she's really just selfish (refrain from profanitites) and doesn't want me to have something i want, maybe she is jelous i have a passion ?
anyhow, nothing you guys have mentioed is even dinting the armour, she doesn't want to go and look at them, she couldn't give a rats ***
my plan is just to not talk to her for a few days, she will soon get desperate to talk to me and will probably agree to something (its pretty narrowminded approach but thats the last resort)

will keep you all posted!

Well in that case, if nothing else is working...
Step 1 - Go buy a few rats/mice.
Step 2 - Let them free in the house just before your mum gets home.
Step 3 - Sit back and watch your mum's reaction when she sees them, goes ballistic
and freak out that her hard earned house is infested with rodents.
Step 4 - In you step with the "See...if you let me get a snake you wouldn't have this problem" speach.:lol:

Cheers,
Allan

my mum said no when i asked her for one because she was scared of them so i nagged her till she caved and now i have a childreni that she loves.

Well in that case, if nothing else is working...
Step 1 - Go buy a few rats/mice.
Step 2 - Let them free in the house just before your mum gets home.
Step 3 - Sit back and watch your mum's reaction when she sees them, goes ballistic
and freak out that her hard earned house is infested with rodents.
Step 4 - In you step with the "See...if you let me get a snake you wouldn't have this problem" speach.:lol:

Cheers,
Allan

DUDE, that is ******* genius, will take pics and let you know what happens:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back