how to convince my mum to let me keep snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there Brewmaster,

Went on a holiday to taree nsw about 4 years ago, got a snake off a friend for my birthday, ( licenced ). Told mum i was coming home with it, she said if i bring a snake home she is moving out. Didn't like Ramina at first (3ft long ) 1.5yrs old but when i got Cleopatra ( 1 ft long ) 9mths old she was smitten, had the thing out all the time. Ramina is now nearlly 8 foot, 6 years and Cleopatra is over 6 feet 5 years old next month, mum gets them out with no hassells. 6 snakes later and mum still hasn't moved out.

Hope she comes too soon.

Bec

Learn from what I did when I wanted a pet spider....

I hid 30 spiders in my room (mostly in my closet) for 5 whole years!!! Including tarantulas the size of my hand. Now of course I moved out and have snakes... but the thing is that people that are scared of these animals dont know what they are scared of... I remember bringing home a wild 6 foot python and eventually my mother held it and was actually sad when I let it go.

Depends how you play it I guess... I like introducing them head on, that way they will see that snakes are infact the best pet anyone can have....

This approach to people who were scared of snakes (including my wife) has always worked for me.... never found someone I couldn't crack lol

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission!

Hahaha... thats right... aaand if she is still scared of the snake when you bought it then you have a anti mother system to put in your room hahaha

If you're after a hatcho, surely you could get away with concealing it some place within your bedroom, by the time it grows to a reasonable size you'll have moved into a place of your own. I often find go with the "what they don't know won't hurt them" approach when it comes to pets & if you knew my father you'd understand why :lol:

If you're after a hatcho, surely you could get away with concealing it some place within your bedroom, by the time it grows to a reasonable size you'll have moved into a place of your own. I often find go with the "what they don't know won't hurt them" approach when it comes to pets & if you knew my father you'd understand why :lol:

This occurred to me also. Although I am NOT advocating you lie, or be dishonest ;)
If you had a hatchie in a tub to start off with, she may never even know it was there.......

It is easier to seek forgivness than ask permission.

Get a dragon, your mum will fall in love with it when it is a cute little 10cm raskle.

By the time it has grown to a 50cm adult she will be used to it.

brewmaster, my mother has a pathalogical fear of snakes. yet i still have one in my room.
if u wait long enough and dont pester her she will come around. it also will keep her out of ur room, that is a big bonus. Max is finally tolerated if not accepted at the house. So keep trying and u shall succed:D

im 23 now have my own house and since i was 11 or 12 persted the hell out of my mum for a snake every single time the answer was no then after i moved out got my python he is about 12 months old now and she loves him likes to hold him everytime she comes over and now is letting my dad get one lol wierd how things happen

sit her down,
give her a slap
go get the snake
she finds it
tell her she wants it gone
she has to move it herself
:D
hope this helps
on a serious note i struggled aswell to start off with
once u bring one home or atleast get her to hold one somewhere like a pet store or breeders house it starts to turn the effects of just bringing one home a little less harsh

now to hijack the thread. i already have one so the actual snake is not the prob, its that she thinks the second cage is exess
mum:why cant it go in the cage with fluffy(coastal)
me: because mum, its a bredli. they have different conditions it might get sick.
mum: still, i dont see y
me: the bredli would eat fluffy.
mum:.... still.

hahahahaha awesome

Just get it and she'll get over it eventually
Trust me, my mom is a overbearing catholic stereotypical Filipino asian and she got over it when my sister and i brought home a coastal carpet five years ago. She's still scared of them but knows they're not dangerous
odd but funny hahaha

My mum used to say no, a dead flat no...
Then my cousin got one (a hatchling coastal) and she met it when we were over for a BBQ one day, on the way home she says "that snake was actually kind of cute, nothing like I thought it would be" and then I was allowed to get one, she helped name my new little Coastal girl and now about a year and a half on I now have 3 pythons and 4 beardies.
She keeps telling me now that I haveto leave the coastal and one of the beardies behind when I move out lol... not if I can help it.

Mum: No more reptiles Tahnee!
a few days later...
Tahnee: *innocently approaches cranky mother*...They're pygmy beardies, they only grow half the size of my other one...
Mum: I'm going to confiscate your licence...
.............................................................................................................................

Tahnee: *cautiously approaches mother* just thought I'd let you know...
Mum: No, whatever it is you can't have it.
Tahnee: Um, well I have this little python on order, going to go get it on the weekend *takes a step back*
*various negotiations between mother and daughter*
*turns up with 2 pythons*
Mum: I'm going to kill you AND confiscate your licence

Now everytime I go out mum says "where is your licence?!" and "DO NOT bring home ANY more animals!"

I just laugh :D

I'm also now having trouble locating my licence, mother swears she hasn't seen it...

lol the same, im going to get some crabs, i got to the conainter where i keep animal stuff, its no there. i wonder why not? :{

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back