How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegirl

Reaction score
hello everyone
This is mainly for my young cousin sam but later i might use it for myself :p I just wanted to know how you got your mum to let you buy your first snake... both my mum and my aunty have a thing about snakes... they dont like what they eat... they hate mice... and they dont even want to think about rats.... so we need some help. How did you's do it???? any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Take care. Have fun.
Megan.

I'd imagine its an on-going battle to get people to come around to the idea of having a snake in the house - let alone bringing rats in to feed it.

You can beg and crawl, or just do what I did and simply get one! (not really the recommended approach :wink:) Spouses are far more difficult to get around than parents I'm telling you! :lol: You should have seen the blow up the other night about me getting number 2! Apparently the house will be overrun by them and nobody will be able to move because the floor will be moving with them. Did I say it was going to be my second snake? lol Not my 200th :lol: :lol:

All I can say is they are the easiest, most facinating creatures you can keep. You can leave them while you're on holidays without having them minded (although I still do). They are quiet, they are cheap to keep-virtually maintenance free, clean, and quite simply they are unique! Whether the critics of them like it or not, nearly everybody at some stage wants to hold one or play with them!

I buy fresh rats for my snake every fortnight, if I'm feeling lazy the breeder often kills them for me. Frozen is certainly the other way to go. Buy youself a cheap freezer or better still a beer fridge and keep them in your garage. Fathers will never knock back the idea of a beer fridge! Hell, I won't! But I don't have a garage :lol:

Amazing creatures! I'll never look back - I'm hooked! The thing is now - what can I get away with :wink:

cheers moosenoose... i think its a great idea to just buy them the day that they need feeding... then my mum and aunty cant complian about there being mice/rats in the house all the time...
Cheers everyone.
Take care. Have fun.
Megan.

I just came home with it. My mother looked like thunder and then i explained i couldn't do anything about it cos' of the 6 month rule and so therefore we were all stuck with it.
My Mother still doesn't know about my 2 new diamonds yet. I'm working out little ploys until i teel her.

Simone.

hmmm my trick 8 years of begging and pledding worked really well. Since I was 8 up until I was 16 I begged for a snake, for my birthday, christmas and several other occasions. Mum gave in last year because I told her if it wasnt a snake I wanted drums for my birthday so I got a snake.

After 6 months I had 4 snakes and 4 lizards and even got my mum to hold one very very breifly.

I would say the just get them approach is a good one cause mums do get used to them.

haha, i dont beg or plea with my mum. dont doesnt work with her. only way is to bring it home & go TA DA !!! SUPRISE !!!

i used to bring whipsnakes home when i was a kid..like about ten..then i progressed to tigers and blacksnakes in my early teens
my folks wernt happy about it but they were happy that i had a hobby ..my mum was not impressed to find out that we had driven from barmah to stkilda and she unknowingly had a pair of red bellies stashed under her seat..also when i was about 8 i was showing my mum a bell frog that i had caught at the quarry..we were in the kitchen and my mum had pulled the roast out of the oven...well the frog jumped out of my hands straight into the pan..where it proceded to curl up like a bit of calimari..was not the best night at my place

try giving the snake to our mum as a gift,and when she says she does not want it say o.k ill keep it then,(6 month)

I got around my wife by making the snake and enclosure a Christmas present for my kids. This is only a Stimsoni, which she is okay with because it will not get too large. The kids and I are now having trouble because we want another larger snake such as a carpet, but she won't let us, because it will be too big.

We will keep working on her and wearing her down.

Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

johnbowemonie said:
I just came home with it. My mother looked like thunder and then i explained i couldn't do anything about it cos' of the 6 month rule and so therefore we were all stuck with it.

Simone.

the 6 month rule is a good one for parents. cant break the law now can we :wink: :D

not that I live with my parents. mum just wouldnt visit whilst there were snakes at my place. not a bad ploy really :lol:

RE: Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

One of the most important things is to explain that it will be kept in an escape proof, locked enclosure. Most people assume the snake will be freely roaming the house :)
The explain about buying frozen rodents to feed it or buying them one at a time if mum doesn't like the idea of rats in the freezer (Note - beer fridges are no good, they don't deep freeze the rodent and it degrades fairly quickly).
Download a few pics of nice cages, get some care sheets to show mum and you are away.
Personally I would shy away from the "get one and she can't say no" idea for two reasons. 1. She can say no. Most mums have the brains to ring NPWS and ask. 2. Starting your hobby with dishonesty is not a good start. Mum will always resent the snake.

It aint easy trying to con a snake hating mouse hating mother into letting you have a snake, I was in that situation about 18 months ago i now have three snakes and me mum still wont go anywhere near them. It took me about two yrs of convinsing and nagging my mum.
I agree with magpie, explain how it will be in an escape proof enclosure and that the food will be dead, its wot i did for two yrs.
good luck

or just move out of home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back