Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I told him to open the window and let it out. Did I do the right thing?

Yep Austy and Shane B are on the money.

sorry couldn't help myself. Its from one of the O/S guys.

Peter,
If you are serious about getting a positive ID you need to do a lot better than that. The quality of the photo needs to be such that you can clearly make out detail in the subject. People cannot identify that which they cannot see. Secondly, you need to provide different views of the animal, such as a dorsal view and a lateral view. A dorsal and lateral view of the head region would also be particularly useful. Lastly, you need to state explicitly the geographic location. Simply because your profile says Sydney doesn’t mean you were in Sydney when you took the photo.
If it were me, I wouldn’t waste my time and that of others posting what you have. Your time would be better spent Googling photo of un-banded Brown Tree Snake’s and deciding if what you saw matches.
Blue

Peter,
If you are serious about getting a positive ID you need to do a lot better than that. The quality of the photo needs to be such that you can clearly make out detail in the subject. People cannot identify that which they cannot see. Secondly, you need to provide different views of the animal, such as a dorsal view and a lateral view. A dorsal and lateral view of the head region would also be particularly useful. Lastly, you need to state explicitly the geographic location. Simply because your profile says Sydney doesn’t mean you were in Sydney when you took the photo.
If it were me, I wouldn’t waste my time and that of others posting what you have. Your time would be better spent Googling photo of un-banded Brown Tree Snake’s and deciding if what you saw matches.
Blue

Mate if you read through the posts properly you will realise it has been I.D'd correctly. It was obvious he posted the picture (and a bad one at that) to get us guessing and to see who could think outside the box to get it right...

Australis' post was correct -- if you read closely at his "Diamond Python" answer you will figure it out

i really hope people weren't serious with it being a python, or bts. bit of a worry if they were.....

Pretty impressed you guys picked it I had no clue. Peter is it a pet or did it really wander into someone's garage? I reckon they are one of the scariest I could think of

Peter,
Blue

Chill Pill Mate.

Some funny responses in there. No way it's any sort of python, and it's not a CT unless it's been 18 months without food. Dendroaspis polylepis or Dendrelaphis punctulata. If only I wasn't leaving uni - and therefore the internet - behind until tomorrow I could stick around to see if this is a joke.

Edit - God I'm a slow typer. I thought it was. Thanks for the brainteaser, Peter!

Last edited:
Does anybody read the previous posts? Besides... it's obviously a GTP ;)

HAHA The basement wouldn't be in the UK would it?
It is a pet saximus.

And for a particular guest I hope you don't have western Notechis freeranging, LOL

Last edited:
Peter,
Blue

Ok, have to say something! First and foremost, you have to consider the source. Peter is a knowledgeable herper. If he's posting an ID thread, it would not be common, and, as in this case, not likely even local. As far as ID'ing this animal would go, if you download the pic and blow it up a bit, it is fairly obvious that it is a Black Mamba. My last post with the comment about it "smiling" was a bit tongue in cheek as, kind of like the keelback, D. polylepis also looks a little happy.

G'day guys,

The snake is indeed a black mamba, Dendroaspis polylepis. It was feeding day, and since it's been a non-feeder for the past 3 years, I have to force feed it. I normally pull out the snake and then pin it whilst it's on the floor.

I'm sure those who know Peter, understand that he "knows his stuff". The thread was a light-hearted joke :D

My photography skills are somewhat poor when using a BlackBerry.

Cheers,

Dave

brown tree snake boiga irregularis

very nice specimun interesting colours and patterns

hey david good to see you on here and you thought it was bad on UK forums with james mintram to deal with LOL
we get id,s like this bloke how do you confuse a black mamba with a brown tree snake ???lol

Thankyou Snake Whisperer, I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me in on the “únwritten rules” of the game. It is a shame others are not as thoughtful or courteous. Yes, I did pick up the Black Mamba’s scientific name given with Diamond Python. I guess I was just too tired or maybe too slow, to recognise what was happening from that.
Irrespective, I sand by my comment, bar location obviously. Give that the Black Mamba is terrestrial, unlike its green cousins, I would have thought a better option on the clues available would have been something arboreal, like a dark form of Boomslang or an American Black Racer or Black Rat Snake, all of which have the particularly wide gape that is also apparent in the mamba. However, with no real ID features to go by, it becomes, as was actually ststed, a guessing competition, unless of course you have inside knowledge of the snakes Peter has access to.
I enjoy the challenge of a genuine ID, because whether I get it right of wrong, I learn something. I obviously was mistaken in reading the thread title verbatim.

Blue

@ Rob, LOL. I'm going to send J. Mintram a link to this forum, so he can splash a wealth of knowledge over to you Ozzie dudes.......... only joking......

I'll be back over in November Rob, fingers crossed we'll be able to catch up if you can make Queensland.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back