id this snake please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday All,

Just had this fella in at work and would like someone to id it for me.....i have an idea of what it might be but have seen much mocking for people saying they think snakes are that particular type of snake!! haha...

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 242
keelback or rough scaled snake.. can only tell with loreal scale on the face in front of the eye.. can you get that photo of the side of its head? that would help

Nat ;) x

i remember someone a while ago saying that keelbacks have an upturned mouth and look like they are smiling almost....is that true?

Rough-Scaled Snake

Judging by the book in front of me;)

Last edited:
in rocklea, brisbane...

note the loreal scale and head shape in the picture below of the two, and given the location id say keelback. keelbacks seem to have a more rounded snout, however roughys are not as round.

keelback :)

judging by the head shape i would be going with keelback, it had a more pointed head than what the rough scaled has....but i am not very good with id'ing vens or colubrids....

Location?:shock: Where you find keelbacks you can find roughies.

as mentioned either check the loreal scale or if in a tub and can't see the scale just look under the tub and check the anal scale. Keelback divided and roughie is singular.

i'm convinced its a keelback, but i don't like the idea of people giving snake id to someone who was unsure of it based on a location where there is a real possibility of it being an elapid.

i gave the id based on not only location, as i know they can be found in the same areas. and yes you can also look at the anal scale. if my help isnt wanted ill stop id'ing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back