id this snake please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
herpsrule also look at head shape and body shape.... in cases like this when a loreal scale cant be seen clearly or on the job when its under a fridge or washing machine, trying to ID a loreal scale is tough on a head thats smaller than your pinkie finger...

herpsrule also look at head shape and body shape.... in cases like this when a loreal scale cant be seen clearly or on the job when its under a fridge or washing machine, trying to ID a loreal scale is tough on a head thats smaller than your pinkie finger...

in my previous post i mentioned the head shape. and this guy isnt looking to find the one hes just caught, under his fridge :p

herpsrule, there was nothing wrong with your id advice regarding the head scales. But sturdy is right about trying to see that scale on a very small keelback can be difficult, espeically if you are not capable of restraing the head.

I am a bit cautious going by head and body shape, i handed over a keelback to a keeper that is probably one of the most experienced at elapid id on this forum, and even he checked through the clear tub to make sure it had a loreal scale before he stuck his hand in, you can never be too careful.

in my previous post i mentioned the head shape. and this guy isnt looking to find the one hes just caught, under his fridge :p

even by looking at the head sape you can tell its a keel back...... no loreal needed.

keelback or rough scaled snake..

.......... i rest my case...

if your unsure dont bother IDing.

I couldn't see the loreal scale and i don't think anyone could, but there's still ways to tell them apart i could tell just by the head shape and size of the eyes (compared to a roughie the eyes are quite large or should i say they stand out of the head more)

PEOPLE magnifying glass works well ...if your a catcher keep one in your kit ..helps out great for the juvie ID's ///

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

DSCF1821.jpg

DSCF1815.jpg

you can see the loreal scale ,in some pictures ..when I first got the tiny baby one in the bottom of the pictures ,I used a MG to make sure it was a keelback ..never just presume you have one ,as it can easily be a mistake and a rough scale snake (not python! as some get confused with ) is certainly not a snake you wanna get bitten by ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back