Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expert or not, the kid turned on the microphone and talked coherently for 10 minutes - try that!

I don't know why people have been so hard on the kid, he seems to know what he is talking about. You have to remember that in the USA GTP's are cheap and far more accessible than they are here. I regularly saw them up for sale by private breeders for US$150-$250 when I lived there.

Here is a link to a price list from a pet store in Houston I went to a few times. Remember that this is a pet store so the prices are inflated compared to what you can get them for privatley. I was offered hatchling anacondas and burmese pythons for $20 from the owner of this pet store when I was there.

Our Current Animals

I guess this represents a "mature" market but it will never be quite like that here unless there is a huge shake up of the licensing requirements.

I should also mention that this particular store had a lion cub for sale for US$400 and a Siberian Tiger cub for sale for US$800. I could't believe it as a dog would cost you more than that. Gotta love those Texas lawmakers.

Last edited:
already sounds like he is an exspert how young is this guy 14? hed be geting a lot of help

Nothing like APS to bring out the overly critical ;)
Good on him, I wish more young Aussie kids took such an active interest and did as much research on keeping snakes.
I did find it interesting that some people seemed to insinuate that because they are cheap in the states that means they are more suitable for a first snake. I've always found the cost vs husbandry a strange link. JMO
Anyway... to all the haters.. I think you're just jealous of this kid :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Nothing like APS to bring out the overly critical ;)
Good on him, I wish more young Aussie kids took such an active interest and did as much research on keeping snakes.
I did find it interesting that some people seemed to insinuate that because they are cheap in the states that means they are more suitable for a first snake. I've always found the cost vs husbandry a strange link. JMO

Sorry If I sounded harsh, I do actually admire his enthusiasm, I just think he should gain a bit more experience before posting guides on how to look after them.

He did such a great job, so happy to see someone young actually enjoying and taking great care of animals for once!
:)

I have some of those temperature thingies they work very well Wish I had a GTP morph that colour oh well I wish I had a GTP any colour spoiled little ****

Slightly off the topic but I've just noticed an ad on here: wanted to buy: "free or cheap reptiles".
What an attitude! While the kid in this thread is receiving criticism, what would you say to this ....... No idea what he wants, probably wouldn't know how to look after it (whatever) but he will have it just because it's free or cheap.
Grrrrrr

Slightly off the topic but I've just noticed an ad on here: wanted to buy: "free or cheap reptiles".
What an attitude! While the kid in this thread is receiving criticism, what would you say to this ....... No idea what he wants, probably wouldn't know how to look after it (whatever) but he will have it just because it's free or cheap.
Grrrrrr
Saw that earlier :rolleyes:

As for this thread I just found it surprising that someone who (at least seems) so young posted a care guide and I found some of the things he said funny too. I'm not saying he doesn't know anything, he sure knows more about GTPs than me!

he's not bad guys give him a break haha.
he obviously has the money (as he actuaslly states in one of his other videos, quite humbly actually)
i think that he's got a lot of passion and love for these animals.
take a look at some of his other uploads on his chanel and then you'll have a bit more to either criticize or appreciate.

i came here as a first timer not long ago for help and information.
some people are way to harsh and pig headed on this site i think.

lol, I think I should re-explain the point of the thread with a bit more detail.

Here in Australia I always get the feeling that many keepers get confidence issues when it comes to GTP's, and it's great that were not jumping in a new breed with out research, but at the same time, it's not rocket science.
I was pondering about this, and being a father with the responsibility of a child, keeping a python such as a GTP is still very simple.

The requirements are more then a normal Carpet, but still low considering.

-The right enclosure with proper set up
-The right temperature gradient
-The right humidity
-The right food

That's 4 things you need to understand in order too keep one. I did my research and it is different from the normal carpet, but no where near as hard as a child.
So back to the 10-13 year old kid,
"If he can, the why can't I/you?"

Even he makes it look simple lol.

Before I joked and said:
1: He has rich parents and this his 50th attempt to raise a gtp
2: His parents are into reptiles and are helping him.
You will find that his parent do have reps, so he had the step up.

But anyone can just as easily be-friend a more experienced keeper to help them if their unsure, I read the chondro book, and I found talking to keepers and seeing their enclosure in person was so much better.
Anyway, Good luck to every one (and wish me luck too lol)

Half the [deleted] into beardies don't know the first thing about keeping them but they do.. because they're cheaper, just like GTP's are in the states.

and i think it's the price that makes people run for the hills over GTP'S, not the level of care required. Most people are just afraid that if anything does go wrong they won't just be out of pocket a mere $300, more like $3000.

I wish all reptiles were more expensive, reduce the amount of morons that don't do their research.

Half the [deleted] into beardies don't know the first thing about keeping them but they do.. because they're cheaper, just like GTP's are in the states.

and i think it's the price that makes people run for the hills over GTP'S, not the level of care required. Most people are just afraid that if anything does go wrong they won't just be out of pocket a mere $300, more like $3000.

I wish all reptiles were more expensive, reduce the amount of morons that don't do their research.

Are you basing these rather narrow views on any particular research?

Just my own personal experiences Wally, don't get your knickers in a twist.

I've had my own experiences with people over the years but still try not to make generalizations. And my knickers are firmly in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back