Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you mean about being offered red GTP's ? The vast majority of GTP's in this country are from overseas stock and that is common knowledge. Red babies aren't uncommon and perfectly legal.

I think some animals are just not meant to be kept as pets. I had someone offer me red green tree pythons, ball pythons, cougars, fennec foxes, monkeys, tigers and loads more. I mean honestly what would i do with a cougar? Yes it sounds coll it theory, but the facilities to hold it, the exercise, food, and im sure it wouldnt be very cuddly at 2 yrs old with huge canine incizes. I had someone else offer me a fur seal they caught off the aust coast in a net - idiots got fined a whopper of a fine! Some animals i think just shouldnt be kept as pets for the average joe bloggs. As for exotics, - NO exotics should be allowed in australia except for zoo's. Cane toads, rabbits, red earred sliders are a good example!

I met someone the other week asking if I knew anyone selling corn snakes I told here there illegal here in australia and she said she is aloud cause she has a special licence for them! can you get a special kind of licence can ya?

cheers Jody

Don't know about the NT, but in NSW people with an Exhibitors Licence might be able to hold them. Otherwise, you can't get a license for Exotics.

Pythons Hobbies said:
Sorry to tell you but there are heaps of reptiles arriving in Australia all the time

You got some hard evidence to back that up?

Ther are plenty already here, and there might be a few trickling in occassionally, but to say "heaps" are arriving "all the time" is a gross overstatement. Unless you have proof.

And No Reece, we can't keep wolves (notwithstanding the fact that dingos and domestic dogs are now considered subspecies of the grey wolf).

:p

Hix

I guess if i have no photos or video it didnt happen.
If there are not many snakes arriving in Australia illegally, then we have a huge reptile breeding issue, because allmost everyone knows someone that either has or can get corns, boas, jags, balls, chameleons etc..........

I think most ppl would keep an exotic
if they got an oppintunity to keep there fav animal most ppl would jump to the oppintunity

i have herd of ppl keepin freshies down here in newy which is ilegal in nsw

but i think its LEGAL to keep them in the ACT? go figure

can any1 get me a freshie?

I really want to keep cobras! And I recon since I started collecting 4 yrs ago I've been offered Cobras about 5 or 6 times from different ppl and each time it gets a little harder to say NO! Just not worth it although it is very tempting:lol: I think I will just have to stop all conversations about exotics to other keepers to stop getting offers.

Even hand reared tigers can be dangerous - what about the whole Siegfried and Roy thing? One of them was severely attacked by one of their white tigers, and the tiger had never shown any aggression previously. They have a lot of instincts in them, even when hand reared.

I would say its fair to say that the majority of exotics are being bred here, with the exception being designer morphs which are smuggled out of Australia aswell as into Australia.

donk

leopard gecko, boas, chameoleans, corn snakes, was offered leopard geckos a while ago but i dont want anything i cant take to a vet,....

How do all of you people get into cantact with people that can get these i know a fiar few people that do wird things but there is only a few i can thonk of that would be able to get something lol. Yeah i wouldt really want a pe that cant got to the vets because that would be very cruel and its not like u can go to the vets with a monkey and sit down and go this is my dog fido lol.

I know people who have taken exotic herps to vets.

Its annoying the more i look at leopard geckos the more i want one they look so amazing and they are way easier to look after than like bearded dragons but the risk in getting one isnt really worth it.

Obrien - You sound like you are waiting for someone to talk you into it...

...there is a simple solution, stop looking at them ;) ...and Beardies are hardly a difficult reptile to keep...

Ok so whats the consequence for say keeping an exotic in Aus? :p

i know they arent difficult but all the setup makes it cost a fair bit in the end where for the loepard geckos all you need is a heat matt and they also look better than bearded dragons. dont get me wrong bearded dragons are sweet but leos are more colourfull and nice.

i think it is a massive fine and possibly jail im not sure about jail but deffinatly a massive fine as the government is worried about non indigenous animals.

Obrien - You are concerned about the cost of setting up beardies...?

...imagine the cost of smuggling reptiles...and the cost of getting caught...?? I think a tub and fluro light for that Beardie would be a whole heap more affordable...

If i remember correctly wasnt there a Study or Conference on Illegal Reptiles in Oz and there impact on the Industry/Environment, and even to the extent of a possible amnesty of some description allowing people to notify there Local Hospital of illegally held Exotic Venomous Reptiles?

I certainly dont agree With Keeping Exotics in Oz unless its for Educational Purposes Like zoos and the like, But didnt somebody say that there is only a small amount of illegal's coming into oz?

If this was the case why is the Federal Government Spending so much On trying to stop the illegal trade?

Because its Happening Like it or Not! More than People Realise i would say.

Just my 2 cents.
Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back