Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as i said, have a mix, one month mayb do photos and other months have different question topics

I agree with Donk, it needs to be something that doesn't give people an advantage over others!! ie photo comp!!!

I'm not that creativ eeither sometimes, therefore I have no suggestions YET... but I like Donkey's!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mell

i reakon donkey's is the best so far and it's fair

I like donkey's too, fair for everyone and would be exciting to watch and see how everyone is going.

I think we should ban Sdaji, readysell and Wrasse from entering:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol:

Fine by me. The prize is a Carpet Python, I see no reason to have it come my way. Then again... we haven't seen second and third prize, so I could snooze my way to a lazy placing *grin*

Jokes aside, I think it would be unsporting of me to try to get one of these snakes into my posession, I felt weird enough last time, so I'm happy to withdraw.

(So who wants to bribe me to play under their name and win them a snake ;) )

Fine by me. The prize is a Carpet Python, I see no reason to have it come my way. Then again... we haven't seen second and third prize, so I could snooze my way to a lazy placing *grin*

Jokes aside, I think it would be unsporting of me to try to get one of these snakes into my posession, I felt weird enough last time, so I'm happy to withdraw.

The amount of PMs you will now get for saying that...lol

Very cool idea donkey :p The winner could argue it was 'fate' then that let them to such a glorious prize :lol:

Nah I was only jokin Sdaji, ;), but if we combine forces!!!!!!!!!!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

picking the identity of the photograph, a series of them, from varying sources, at varying magnification levels would be really interesting.

Or, Scanning Electron Microscopy would be an interesting twist to the competition, give an image at around

Give say a 50000x mag picture of something really really interesting, and see if people can get even close.

People will be on an exactly level playing field.

Simon says we need to put in an effort, so how about based on donks idea, a project is required with informative info on herps (Ie an article, short movie, descriptive photos, etc for the benefit of everyone to enjoy as well) and then Simon or admin decide how many tickets each project is worth (eg one photo might warrant 1 entry, whereas a descriptive and informative article might warrant 10 entries) Then after the period all entries get drawn to win the prize. So we all still benefit from researching, as well as viewing and learning from others projects, but at the end, the decision is based on a luck of the draw. The more effort you put in, the more entries you might receive.

yea thats what i was thinking tan, hes not gonna want to give a $6000 snake to someone who just had their name drawn out of a hat, i still like the question idea

Ok not thinking straight today but I'll have a go. Like everyone said I dont' think it will matter what subject etc you do someone will always be better but maybe set it like a treasure hunt lol. Bit like that show on t.v the great race or whatever it's called. Someone from admin picks a website, place, picture or anything really on the internet and then sets some clues on were it is or how to find it, maybe a clue each week, photoes and hints etc. Then give a whole month for everyone to try and figure out, dosn't need to be hard and everyone can have a chance as it can be something different everytime, using things such as google etc. Sorry that's about the best I could come up with for now (sick at the moment sorry). But anyhow competition sounds great :)

Allana :)

this is a great idear but rather than collecting points how about we talk about it for 12 months then take the amount of members enter into random number generator and pick 3 winners like a raffle cant get fairer than that

I reckon make it easy.

Everyone's name goes in a draw once a month, the names get drawn out and in order of how they come out they get points allocated, all the way from first out to last out. (B)Thats Thousands Of people(B)

Then every month your points are added together and we can view it on a table ( like the footy tips).

That way it is completly random and its anyones game right till the end, it is up to luck.

If it is a photo comp ( it is bias to people who have great cameras and a photograpic background)

If it is a question knowledge comp ( then it is bias to the more experianced or people who dont work or go to school ( and can sit on the net for hours getting information)

Simon has asked for it to be fair on every level, i think my idea is fair to everyone.

donk

I think it should be scissors, paper, rock to eliminate people down to a select 25 - then have trivia, multiple question test, photo identification or something similar to have a final winner.

Anyone on here has access to unlimited info, and creating projects is something we all can do (ie even the young members with no fancy cameras or the like might create an article on why they got into herps, or a breeding experience, or a basic caresheet from own experience) the list is endless, therefore creativity, knowledge and most of all EFFORT is involved. It doesn't need to be marked on level of skill, or correctness, moreso on effort based on that persons experiences.
I should add that maybe each month a cutoff is ensured so that each month only one project per person is permitted to be entered to prevent heaps of entries from one person.

Last edited:
I agree that photo competitions are far too open to bias and subjection in judging, and it's basically a way of saying that a good photographer is going to be given a free snake. Having a completely random system doesn't seem like a great idea, it isn't as fun, there is no challenge, it's just a free raffle. The winner should have to work for their prize.

I certainly didn't have a lot of time on my hands during most of the last competition, I was an honours student during most of it (the most intense and stressful year of my life!). It is not just good fortune or luck if you know the answers to questions - a broad range of knowledge comes from years of hard work, and if someone is rewarded for that, good! Alternatively, if someone has the time to spend doing lots of research and learning while playing the game, it's great if they're rewarded for that too. If it's a combination of putting in the time, having good general knowledge and being savvy in the use of whatever tricks are available, great, surely that person deserves to win more than the person who simply said "Oh, a competition, I suppose I'll put my name down".

I think it would be good if answering the questions was not possible simply by doing hours upon hours of mindless google image searching until you find the right one, so plucking pictures from the internet should definately be avoided if picture identification is going to be part of the game. There are some little tricks which often enable people to determine who the photographer is, along with other useful information, which can often make it very easy to determine what the picture is of (not looking at anyone in particular here, Slateman! ;) ).

Looking forward to watching what is sure to be a fun game, without the feelings of guilt caused by knowing that I'm preventing anyone else from winning ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back