Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with forensick - projects take up too much time

If its looking for something on a particular website (treasure hunt idea with set websites) that wouldnt be very fair as many websites are filtered out on any Dept. Education computer (Im writing this @ work lol) and anyone at school wouldnt be able to access certain sites.
I know there are a lot of younger members still at school (I have net at home so would be right but some kids might not have the net at home)

I think something that requires knowledge is good - doesnt just have to be herps though

C'mon, it must be herp related! Where would the fun be without reptiles? The competition is for reptiles, surely they should be the theme! If you want to win a snake, you should know something about snakes or at least be happy to have an excuse to learn about them :)

i say everyone gives the name of sumone else on thise site who has helped them in there APS lifetime, the person with the most votes wins? every months have different critieria...

1st month - peoples choice (people vote for others)
2nd month - most posts in 2 weeks?
3rd month - person who can name most snake species?
4th month - people vote for koolest name?
5th month - a trivia quiz?
6th month - guess the picture of a certain snake?
7th month - admin gives clues on a snake people must guess?
8th month - finding a certain forsale item on APS?
9th month - able too give most nicknames for certain reptile?
10th month - spelling test?
11th month - current reptiles kept? (points given accordingly)
12th month - 50words or less why u think u deserve to win?

as said in my previous posts.. thats just my 2 cents and am qwelcoming the oncomming of help

so anyone new, or basicly not old.... is ruled out

-not to mention the fact that people get together to vote for 1 person then "split" the prize

or even how bout each week a selected sumone gives every member a thread in which that selected person gives a riddle/lateral thinking puzzle/ world problems.

each person gets 2 guesses and the first person to post the correct answer is given points. therefore theres 52 puzzle and lots of chances for different winners.

it will require people to work outside the box to accomplish many of these?

and forensick as staeted above there is going to be disadvantages in anything we do, yes for my idea the 21st month some members may be let down, but then those same members may have a gr8er chance of winning at other months. it seems to all equal itself out in the end

Great idea Donkey! ...would include some sort of registration each month. ie you have to send your name to a mod to be entered each month, otherwise if every member is entered you could end up with someone that doesn't contribute to the site anymore winning it having done absolutely nothing. Just a suggestion?!

I reckon make it easy.

Everyone's name goes in a draw once a month, the names get drawn out and in order of how they come out they get points allocated, all the way from first out to last out.

Then every month your points are added together and we can view it on a table ( like the footy tips).

That way it is completly random and its anyones game right till the end, it is up to luck.

If it is a photo comp ( it is bias to people who have great cameras and a photograpic background)

If it is a question knowledge comp ( then it is bias to the more experianced or people who dont work or go to school ( and can sit on the net for hours getting information)

Simon has asked for it to be fair on every level, i think my idea is fair to everyone.

donk

yes lottery i a gr8 idea but as said many times, they dnt think the sponsor wants a lottery, they want a challenge. and as with a lottery wat if it goes to sumone who noes absolutely nuthing about reptiles. it has to be given to sumone who can atleast prove they have sum slight nkowledge on keeping a snake.

i think thats a reasonably unfounded fear....

given they would already need to be a member, so lets face it, they probably know already....
in order to win they need to be active on here for 12 months....
and seriously... i would be impressed if after 12 months here being active they still knew absolutely nothing

i'm not for a lottery either, but people keep saying Q's should be herp related "to ensure knowledge"

First person to work out the genome of the albino carpet, complete with map distances!

:p

Hix

How about a spelling contest ;)?

Simone.

Haha!! Can we add in some grammer and punctuation too?!

I think that in the spirit of Reality TV, whoever wants to be in with a chance to win should be given a pair of gum boots, some gardening gloves, hiking boots and clothes, a tent and camping supplies, a supply of tinned and packet food, a bush tucker book and a bunch of pillowcases. They should then jump from a plane high above the Outback with a parachute with their supplies following them (also with a parachute) and whoever can last for 12 months, catch the most interesting looking herps (which of course will be released back into the wild once assessed and counted) and find their way back to civilisation should win the albino :)

I think my idea should win a prize :)

How about 10 questions each month with simple one word answers of varying difficulty. It can be on any topic with a few trick questions in their as well to keep people on their toes.

This way some work is required as people can't know everything off the top of their head, but you won't need to dedicate 10hrs every week to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 different prizes.. for 3 different age groups ? There will be the 10-25 age group, 26 - 40 age group and the 40+ age group?

Then each age group has to do something different every week, for 4 weeks. Could be asking questions on "what may be wrong with the picture" etc.

Kane

well
they could make it so theres a pic of a reptile(not only aussie) with multiple choice on it so that makes it a bit easyer of the people who dont know as much
and
every month theres a less common reptile
thats just what i think

3 different prizes.. for 3 different age groups ? there will be the 10-25 age group, 26 - 40 age group and the 40+ age group?

Kane

the albino would most likely go to the 40+ age group, not fair on everyone else

or fair on the 10 year olds "competing" against the uni grad mid 20's.

but lets face it, its the 10 year olds parents answering, so that makes it the 20's vs 40+
which really, isn;t unfair, and removes need for bracketing anyway,..... even apart from the fact that there is only 1 "major" prize anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back