Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retic

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just thought I would share a photo of one of the Blond Spotteds I got from Indicus a few months ago, they are eating like pigs and colouring up really well.
tremain_male2.jpg

hi boa,
coming along very nicely, i agree they are up there with the best you can get, my 2 are doing great also, i'll have to get some new pics one day,

cheers,
steve..........

They are not Blonds guys. Indicus lines originate from the northern end of the Atherton Tablelands and are actually a intergrade species btween Stimsons and Maculosus. They are great looking, and I would love some as well, but they are definately not what is named as a Blond Spotted Python. Tremain should name them Atherton Spotteds as they are a totally different form.

Interesting, so there are a lot of people out there with intergrades selling them as 'pure' ? Unwittingly I mean.

what most people refer to as blond macs are a form of macs from the cook town area, although not all cook town macs show this tait. but these were the original macs that this name was given to.
There are other locales where you will find pure blond macs but the cook towns are the original blond macs.

They are not Blonds guys. Indicus lines originate from the northern end of the Atherton Tablelands and are actually a intergrade species btween Stimsons and Maculosus. They are great looking, and I would love some as well, but they are definately not what is named as a Blond Spotted Python. Tremain should name them Atherton Spotteds as they are a totally different form.

Thats very interesting Bob. I guess there are a whole heap of different looking forms out there. I'd be interested to know the locality of your blondes so we have an idea of what sort of distance separates these two forms.
Perhaps we could see some pictures of your blondes and compare to Tremain's (more pictures should keep everyone happy!).

-H

I would be interested to see just who does have 'real' Blondes then. The antaresia waters are so muddied I'm not sure many people know exactly what they have.

have a look at david barkers book, pythons of the world on page 62 in the top right hand photo.

It is a good indication of what a blonde maccy should look like

bigguy said:

Thats an eye opener.

I have some blondes from Shane Skarf (related to your line Bob?) and from Ad (tremaines line) and they are very similar looking. The pics were taken under different lighting but under the same light they are roughly the same colour. Either way I am very happy with both lines.

Firstly a hatchy from Ad's line:
wed-0506-001.jpg

and one from Shane's line
gomez-0506-001.jpg

Blond is a hair colour - it is a term that has been adopted to pale background maculosa.
It is not area related whatsoever.
Tremain should call his Tableland Macs and Bob call his Cooktown Macs maybe? I doubt it - people look at both lines and say 'there's a blonde mac' regardless.
I dont see a 'better' line - both have stunning animals.
Cheers
Ad

Boa, Indicus line is pure. Its just not a Blond Mac. Its something totally different and just as startling. As for Blond Macs, this is a name I gave(disputed by one individual)nearly 20 years ago to a race of maculosus found from just north of Cairns to Cooktown. They grow slightly bigger on average than most Macs, their sides are flank yellow, and have less patterning. There are many areas in North Qld(Mt Surprise to Georgetown) where you find macs with reduced markings and pale backgrounds, but they are not the same form. Most grow far smaller and fail to have the yellow sides.

Rex1, the pics in Barkers book are of my animals. Dave and his wife spent quite some time at my house taking pics of my snakes. Dave had the same line in the USA and had no idea where they had come from till he saw I had the same form. I informed Dave they are from south eastern Cape York.

CodeRed, Ad has more then just Tremains line. Are you sure that the top pic you showed is pure Tremain line, or is it from some other line or crossed.

Bob, yes you are right, only Ad's male (I think) came from Tremaine. Ad can you confirm this?

Yeah CodeRed, Tremains male - Cooktown female (not bob's line)

There are many different maculosa forms or morphs found throughout north Queensland. Traditionally speaking , Bob is right in what he is saying about the Cooktown Blondes in regards to having the Blonde tag associated with that area originally. The thing to remember is that you do not find stimsoni in the Cooktown area but where a lot of other maculosa of blonde colouration are found in areas where stimsons start and in some areas you can find clear colouration and pattern examples of both e.g between George Town and Mt Surprise, Mt Carbine etc. With this in mind you would have to say that the Cooktown form are 100 percent pure Mac and areas like Mt carbine and George Town would have to be mixtures of both and of course natural intergrades of both species. Also the stimsoni form that surround these north east areas are very small pythons compared to other forms of stimsons and a lot smaller than maculosa.

Bob, I understand what you are saying, I wrote 'pure' as in not from a single species rather an intergrade. So the term Blond is area related and is not just attributed to a pale coloured maculosa ? As you put the name forward I guess you have the final word on that :)
Because of this confusion there are probably few 'real' Blonds as they are a mix of many different areas. So if you buy one then buy it for what it is visually and forget about the locale details ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back