Introducing new snake to youngish kids?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannahmania

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Firstly, I have to say this forum is awesome! :)

I am in the process of fulfilling my childhood dream of getting a pet snake. Unfortunately as a kid that was the only pet my mother (figuratively) put her foot down on (although I did breed mice for a friends childrens) and then I married a man who swore he wasn't scared... he just "really didn't like them..." - yeah right.

Anyway... now I am (at least somewhat) rid of both of them I have decided that it really is high time I indulged that dream of 20-odd years ago. At the moment I have a lovely 2ish year old spotted python on hold at the local reptile place, and I am just waiting on my licence and enclosure to arrive.

The snake is from a place I have seen well reviewed. I have handled it (although TBH my snake handling skills have some way to go), and my 7 year old also had a short hold. Apparently the snake is handled a lot, and has always been quite docile.

Now... after all of that... my question...

How do people go mixing snakes and kids? I have an almost 7 year old daughter, who is HUGELY excited about getting a new snake, and can't wait to turn 10 to get one of her own (haha) and a nearly 5 year old son, who was more interested in talking to the stores pet parrot, but will no doubt follow his sisters lead once the snake arrives.

They obviously won't be handling the snake without my supervision, and not until I have had a good chance to get used to it and it's temperament, etc, but I am wondering if anyone with experience with young kids and snakes can give me some idea of what I can expect? My kids are fairly calm and very gentle kids, so I am not concerned about them injuring the snake, but more of them just touching the wrong spot, or moving the wrong way, and being bitten (both for potential harm to them and to the snake). Do kids usually take to handling snakes reasonably well (and snakes to being handled by children) or is it better to just keep them apart for the safety of both?

Thanks!!

the best thing to teach is not to pull away if the snake does bite. Always having clean hands will stop the snake from smelling something potentially edible but I have found that to be a rare thing. If a snake bites it's out of fright and it's just what we all call a tag (quick bite and release) so the main thing is to not make a fuss over the bite and to put the snake back. I have been bitten before and it was from frightened snakes and one was me not listening when she was telling me she was hungry (she was constricting my hand at the time, should have been warning enough).
Just make sure you let your new friend settle in when they get home for a bit, a new home, new smells and sounds can be scary too. Most kids are pretty fearless, they learn their hangups from adults. You not showing any fear and being confident will show the kids that it's ok. So maybe when they are in bed you can have some special time with the snake to build your confidence. But my money is on them beating you to the snake handling all the time!
All the best and good on you for following your dream. Have fun with your serpent friend. My ex and my current know they come second to my "children"

I have a lot of nieces and nephews and young cousins who handle my animals regularly, including a boy who's not yet three. Usually i make sure they understand what 'gentle' means, and I tell them they have to be gentle so the animal doesn't get hurt, and every kid understands that. Then i usually hold the animal and let them pat the body and/or tail, or, if they want a hold, i still keep my hand separating the animals head from them (usually quite subtley so the kids dont even notice they dont fully have the animal). The kids have to sit if they want to hold one of them and i tell them to use 'inside voices' too so they dont frighten the animal. I've basically found that it's like letting them hold a young bunny or anything else - you tell the kids to sit still and be gentle and as long as they dont have ADHD or something they're fine. If they ever do get bitten I say "uh-oh, the snake got scared! That happens sometimes. Let's put him away for now." Most kids wont even really care they've been bit if you dont make a massive deal of it.

Thanks!

I have 50/50 care of my kids, so I will be making sure that the only time it comes out for the first couple of weeks will be when they aren't here (once it has a chance to settle into its new enclosure)... although I am not looking forward to the tantrums that are going to come from the "look but don't touch" rule. lol. I know how frustrating it would be for me as a grown adult!

I am fairly confident with snakes, so that won't be an issue for them. I just have not had a lot of time handling them, so still feel a little awkward, but that will come. :p My daughter is desperate to freak my ex out with it, though, so I suspect she will adjust to it quickly purely so she can torment daddy.

Honestly, I don't know stuff all about kids, the only one I deal with regularly is my boyfriend's son. I've known him since he was 4 (he's 8 now), and I've always just been honest with him, and said that snakes sometimes bite, that's just the way it is. He's always been good with the animals, gentle etc, so that hasn't been an issue. I told him that if the snake does bite, try not to pull your hand away, just stay very very still. So far he's never been bitten, but if it does happen, I think he'd handle it pretty well.

My 5yo isn't very brave when it comes to pain... But whe he got tagged by our 2 months Woma he said "it didn't hurt".

But he still shed some tears due to unexpected shock. - Be prepared for that, as little pythons can strike at the speed of light.

Briefly, although my son's very good handling and has a huge collection of photos of himself, taken on seperate times holding huge Water pythons, BHP carpets, Bredlis etc. etc.
He was not so aware some snakes do not like to be touch (squeezed by a 5yo) on the tail, specially when snakes are very young and scared of everything. - And, some say; specially snakes that either use their tails as lure or have prehensile tails may be more sensitive.

So extra supervision and no stroking head or tail is my suggestion.
Also avoid wrapping snake around children's necks like they do at zoos, for the reasons explained above.

Most important, teach them not to touch the snake unless supervised (may consider a lock on door) and always, ALWAYS use an anti bacteria gel on their hands before handling.

Two main reasons for this:
- To avoid mistakes of identity (where snake thinks their little fingers are pinkys)

- 5yo always seem to put their hands everywhere when you're not around to enforce cleaningness (ie school) and residuous of plasticine, glue, glitter, paint etc. is often found stuck on their nails, if not all over their hands.

Very important: If python strikes, do not pull its head as pythons' teeth are curved backwards and will cause injury to both your child's skin and also to snake.

Good luck.

P.S. be aware they may become quickly addicted and before you notice, you'll have a small reptile zoo at home.
(speaking from experience!!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back