Is my Diamond Python trying to hibernate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siarn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
He's been going good, and im happy with his tank,
but my python keeps getting out and looking for cold places!
i woke up to him chilling out next to me this morning!
it was quite cute but he keeps trying to get out and sit under the bed and behind the wardrobe, is this a sign he wants to hibernate?
the temperature in the warm end is about 30 degrees most of the time, and he's been fine for a while but i don't know why he keeps trying to get out.
I've escape-proofed his tank, and he's sleeping in his hide with the heat lamp off, and he hasn't moved for a while.
Should i just leave him like this?
How long do they hibernate?

I looked at your album and the fish tank is too small. That is about the size tub I use when nursing back to health very sick diamonds. A good size enclosure would be at least 1200 x 600 x 900high with branches so it can climb up of the floor to get heat from the light above the branch. Give him a small basking site but plenty of room at room temp.

I know, as soon as we can we gotta get a hold of a bigger one,
do you think thats why he keeps trying to get out? he just needs more room?

Pretty dangerous housing a snake without a lid.. you might wake up and he might of gone further then normal then you will have to post " i lost my snake" thread. Dont diamonds like a lil less heat?(dont quote me on that its just from a caresheet i read) 28-30? could he be searching for cool spots because there is no heat gradient in his enclosure due to its size?

He's got a lid, its cardboard but not great, i make sure there are no gaps and put a towel over the top when i go to bed and he still seems to find a way to sneak out :/

I know, he normally just doesn't though, he's really placid, he's just been so restless the last couple of days.

And its only about 30 degrees in the warm end, and i turn it off for a little while when the air gets too warm. the cooler side is about 27 and i've read on numerous sites that that's an optimum temperature

Okay, yeah i thought at first he was just exploring, he's really settled down compared to when i first got him, he was hissing and sitting in one place then not moving. Now he goes into his hide, sleeps for the night, and when i wake up and check on him he's just lookin at me through the glass, has a little wander, then goes back into his hide.
But today he got out three times. Confused me a bit

but first of all please fix your enclosure. invest in something better.

jaspers nice looking diamond dont loose it if theres no lid on the tank make sure cant get to far

you turn the heat off when the air gets too warm? im sorry im confused with this. Jasper should only be getting 8 or so hours (less even) a day of heat (you need a thermostat too) at around 27-30 at the hot end and the cool end ideally should be 24 or less. as cool as it can get is best. and deff a bigger enclosure with a lid but you have already mentioned you're working on that. more hides as well. not entirely sure where the tank is placed, but because he is in a glass enclosure it would be best not to put him infront of a window as it can intensly heat the enclosure. :) hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back