Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepythia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Definitely noticed the change in weather over the last week or so and decided to spend part of Sunday herping

Found this Jungle Carpet warming itself up on the road at lunchtime

24.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Found this Common Tree Snake on a river bank

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

I found a snake skin under my carport a couple of days ago which i thought to be a Brown Tree Snake (scale count) so I've been searching around the house at night
seems I was correct as last night spotted her, she was quite large.

bts2.jpg

bts1.jpg

bts6.jpg

While i was watching her i saw another smaller BTS.

bts4.jpg

bts3.jpg

bts5.jpg

Not too sure about this skink

IMG_79231024x684.jpg

or this Dragon - there were SO many of these, all about the same size

11-1.jpg

Some Crocs..

14.jpg

10-1.jpg

bts11.jpg

bts12.jpg

croc1.jpg

Also went to Black Mountain a month ago it was extremely cold and I didn't have much luck with finding any snakes
I did come across many Ringtail Geckos but found them hard to photograph

34.jpg

and what I think is a Black Mountain Rainbow Skink

DSCF55191024x768.jpg

DSCF55181024x768.jpg

and just a few my partner took from the Cairns Tropical Zoo..

DSCF5361.jpg

DSCF5352.jpg

DSCF5341.jpg

DSCF5345.jpg

DSCF5339.jpg

DSCF5346.jpg

DSCF5337.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5518 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5518 (1024x768).jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 46
Cool pics mate Can anyone I'd this dragon.

Cheers Brenton

Yeah I can't wait for the hot/wet season, it will be my first since moving here.

Thanks for the ID :)

Hi Waterrat - I'm very interested in attending these meetings. Would i need to bring anything? I've been meaning to ask about herp related groups in Cairns, thanks for the info.

Can D.bilineata and D. Australis be found together? I'm pretty sure i have seen them both in the same area but I can't tell the difference.
Thanks for the comments everyone.

They are both find in this region, the difference is in the gular, scapular and postauricular fold. D. australis have it, D. bilineata doesn't. It's a kind of lold of skin under the neck.

As for the CYHS meetings - check out the web site for details. If you bring some double-choc TimTams, everybody will love you.

cheers
M

Haha I'll make sure to bring those TimTams then :)

Thanks for the clarification - I did read about the gular fold being the difference however I didn't know what that was. I think it's time I start reading up about lizards instead of snakes all the time.

Thank you for your help.

We just spent a week in Cairns, we went to Cairns Tropical Zoo as well, the boas were doing the deed, well trying too, i would say they would have got there eventually. The Pigmy Mulga's where also trying to go for it as well but the both disappeared under a log so i could see them. We couldn't believe they keep different species in the same enclosures, (Brown Tree Snake and Rough Scaled), (Green Tree Snake and Spotted), (Retic and Burmese) and pretty much everythig else is kept in pairs. The Reptile house was probably the best i have seen so far, it was clean and had a good veriety of display animals.

We Went for a drive in the tablelands looking for snakes on the road (The Girls didn't want to get out the car and go looking) and found a nice jungle (Pretty sure its a jungle) on the road to Lake Eachem, We didn't go out looking until 9:30 so it was a little late but we still spent 2hrs driving around.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 81
That's a nice looking Jungle! I always find jungles around that area - Lake eacham and surrounds is definitely my favourite spot for herps so far. I have only been herping up there in the colder months though..

I thought it was strange also that they keep so many different species together but I don't really have any experience in actually keeping reptiles. I was impressed though with the variety of herps for such a small zoo.
Next time you visit you should definitely do some of the walks at night, well worth it :) nice photos by the way

wow, now I'm extremely impressed ;) it's good too see that they've kept it up aswell.

p.s I'm really loving the fashion :lol:

Great array of shot as usual thepythia. Do come along to the herp meeting. I would really like to see our club become a strong club with membership. This in turn will help attract some of the big name speakers for our enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back