Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok heres my thoughts on the jag sib situation and a link to a thread on MP.com

Jag Sibs ? Good or Bad ?

What about micro chipping the sibs so they can be identified as sibs ?
Instead of culling ?
Possible give the sibs away free to new homes only if the new owner agrees to get them micro chipped ?

Any thoughts on this idea ?

What about sib to sib breedings etc and their offspring all micro chipped etc .

Or maybe the breeders should micro chip the sibs and recover the cost by selling the sibs for a minimal amount etc

cheers
Roger

Wouldn't work, because there will always be a breeder that sells them as normals.
I know people who give away sibs with jags for further breeding.

It's a messy situation.

Hi guys just a thought but is there a problem with RPM/Jag siblings being in breeding programs with their RPM/Jag brothers and sisters. :)

cheers
Scott

Wouldn't work, because there will always be a breeder that sells them as normals.
I know people who give away sibs with jags for further breeding.

It's a messy situation.

Yes i see your point D3pro ,
and agree it is a messy situation.

Breeding Jag to Jag will half the number of sibs, worth some thought.

Hi guys just a thought but is there a problem with RPM/Jag siblings being in breeding programs with their RPM/Jag brothers and sisters. :)

cheers
Scott

Hi Scott
I am pretty sure that breeders overseas use sibs to breed to RPM/Jags and some very nice jags can be the result.
I dont think that breeding a jag to a sib increases the chances of neuro issues .

cheers
Roger

Reduces the survival rate by quater too.

I know, if breeders are going to euth them anyway isnt it easier? I know Leucy's don't survive but does anyone know how many actually hatch and do they appear to suffer before dying? Or to the vast majority just not hatch?

I know, if breeders are going to euth them anyway isnt it easier? I know Leucy's don't survive but does anyone know how many actually hatch and do they appear to suffer before dying? Or to the vast majority just not hatch?

I used to be an active member of OS forums but haven't been in the last 2 years or so. Up until that time i had only heard of 3 leucistics making it out of the egg, two died before the owner opened the inc. They both had severely caved in rib cages at about where their heart would be. The other was a paradox twin called ruby and survived until it died from, presumably, stress related causes when it needed to be be manually shed.

good therd ..its warming up hahah
man that would suck freezing them!

Sell them for what they are. If you do not want to produce siblings then don't breed jaguars. The issue only really arises when you want to create the more colourful jaguar crosses and slip the odd diamond bit of blood into the mix. If you were to just stick to bog standard jaguars then your siblings according to Nick Mutton (an over seas Morelia purist) are just Coastals.

Sell them for what they are. If you do not want to produce siblings then don't breed jaguars. The issue only really arises when you want to create the more colourful jaguar crosses and slip the odd diamond bit of blood into the mix. If you were to just stick to bog standard jaguars then your siblings according to Nick Mutton (an over seas Morelia purist) are just Coastals.

Well said.... mojo73

I find it really disturbing that so many keepers are seemingly fine with culling perfectly healthy snakes just so they can have their own "line" (im talking about albinos not jags).
It really says alot about a person imo.
How can one say they are doing it for love of the snakes when they are happy to cull just for profit.

I agree with you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back