Just Another Stupid Conversion (lots of pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW Sax, looks nice and classy till the LEDs go on, then it's very disco :) can you supply details of the LEDs, like where you sourced them, what transformer you're running (I spotted the wiring above the cupboard.) they look very bright- maybe too bright for night viewing

The finger grips look good Virides, I don't suppose you do nice hinges too?

While we would love to say yes, unfortunately we don't. Given our production capability, even if we were able to, they would be very expensive. The production method is beyond what we do currently. We make everything locally and we do not import our products. I hope that somewhere in the near future we could seriously look into this however :)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Jax that is very well spotted :p. These are the lights I'm using. They are made for 12V so you don't need a full on transformer. You can just get a 12V plug-pack from Dick Smith or wherever and snip the end off. You're only working with 12V wiring then so it's legal and safe. Or if you really want you could just use a small car battery or similar. At the current levels that they draw it would last ages.
The LEDs are fairly bright but that photo was taken at night with just a house light on behind me so it's not as bright as you may think. In my case they will only be for me to switch on to sit and watch the snake and they will be off most of the time.

Richard I have to confess I actually came up with the idea because I installed one of these on the roof of another enclosure and found the outside roof was actually getting warm so I was wasting a potential heating method.

Haha you're a little far away for me to do it for you :p
Feel free to message me if you want any tips though. First tip is the internal angles are 135° so if you want to make things fit neatly you'll need to get your protractor out :)

You lost me at the "get the protractor out".

:D

Haha well if you've got a drop-saw that will do angle cuts it saves some of that work :p

What brand pond sealer did you use? That will be perfect for my frog enclosure once I get it done. Eventually. o.o;;

IS there an alternative to the crommelins pond sealer that you used Saximus?. I only have Mitre10 where I live and they don't stock crommelins pond sealer. I don't care about the texture as it will be my GTP display enclosure and covered with moss/bark for the background anyway

You can also get Pondtite which is made by Bondall. That's the one lots of people use on here but my local Bunnings just stopped stocking it. Basically any pond sealer should do the job though

Hey then Saximus. I will look it up tomorrow. I think I saw it yesterday but only blue

same here mad at arms. I looked for shower vents today but couldn't find any so I used sink strainers. $1.50 for two HA. Better then $8-10 for one plastic.

i would love to know how to set up those leds i have 3 strips that i want to use for my new cages but i have no idea what to buy to get them running and can u put more than 1 strip onto the same transformer thingy

Yeah it's really easy. It's also legal to do yourself if you get the right ones because you are working with 12V.
If you get something similar to the ones I linked in post #25 they come in a 5m length and they have points every 5cm where you can cut it. Then you just connect something like a 12V plug pack to them and you're set.
To work out how many you can run off one transformer you just find out how much current it draws per length and make sure you don't put more lengths than your transformer can handle. So with mine, it draws 0.02A per 5cm length so for my 1A pug pack I couldn't connect more than 2.5m.
I hope that makes sense...

what sort of thermostat are you going to use?

None for the time being. I tested it in another enclosure and especially with the weather cooling down, this setup doesn't get hot enough to be a problem and the cool areas pretty much don't go above ambient at all. The only time I'll have to think about it will be during summer when it's over 30° ambient and then I'll probably just chuck one of those small ebay ones in (or hopefully my homemade multi-enclosure uni project will be ready for use by then)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back