Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy

Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking into getting a snake and would love a bit of guidance. I am in WA and before march 7th we westeners wern't allowed to keep pet reptiles. I used to live in Darwin in the rural area. I have grown up with snakes and have decided I would like one for myself. Problem is, as I am starting off, I am not quite sure what species I should be looking at. I don't want something too big (prefer no more than 1.5 meters max) Are some easier to care for than others? Also, are there any do's and dont's regarding enclosures (besides the obvious) and another question, should I look at getting a snake from interstate since breeding here has been very restricted (laws and stuff)? Any advice you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

hmm, not sure about laws etc there regarding importing, dont think its allowed. Anyhow as most can assume i`m gonna reccomend a coastal....granted it gets over 1.5 metres but still a hell of a good snake to begin with, good feeders, mine are all placid (with a little episodes occasionally, but no more so than any species), good handlers and they ROCK......but being practical either macs, childrens or stimmys would probably be the go (though i still fully recommend coastals, after all they are a proper snake).

cheers
Pom

nvm pom he loves his coastals too much :)

macs/childrens/stimmys are great snakes, im just about to get a mac myself

sounds like u know all u need to about housing

good luck :D

ps: try ultimatereptiles.com if u wanna buy interstate, otherwise id try and get a snake locally

ok whats is "mac" abbreviated for? I thought about stimmys or childrens myself (wild childrens in darwin used to visit). Roughly how would I work out the right size of enclosure for a snake?

Thanks for your posts, I am always interested to know your thoughts :D

mac is the abbreviation for the spotted python Antaresia maculosa. Found in south-east QLD and northern NSW. Used to be thought of as a sub species of the childrens python Antaresia childreni . Do a google on the scientific names for more info.

hi guys
pythons of any type can not be imported into w.a..

you will have to get your first one locally and you will first need to find out what is avalible for your licence type and then look at which of the avalible species would be good for you.

cheers paul.

Yeah, as paul said, you are not allowed to import into WA. Your choices are something like a south western carpet python, a stimson's pythons, a black headed python or an olive python. Not sure if all of these can be held on a class 3 (I think a class 3 is your basic licence for snakes,) maybe only the south western and the stimmie's are. For the sizes you have given, this means your only choice is a stimmie. I think they are going for around $700 at the moment, but will obviously come down a lot over the next few years.

im glad i dont live in WA it doesnt look like you have much to choose from to keep as pets there, i feel sorry for you guys....

Hurah!
Another female herper in WA!
Nice to meet you Amy.

Mags and pythonss are right, no imports into WA at this stage, and also, Stimsons and South West Carpet Pythons are Cat 3. You can obtain a Cat 3 without any previous experience with reptiles, but for a Cat 4 or 5, you will need written proof etc.
I hate to shock you with the prices, but at this stage, very very expensive, as the supply is much less than the demand. Stimsons are going for approx $700 and SW Carpet Pythons for around $1000. (Although much more expensive from petshops)

Have a look at the link provided by Mags, and if you have any questions, drop me a line in PM.. or keep posting!!!!!

Regards
KG

P.S.... Jake, don't feel sorry for us!!!! at least we can own them now!!

We have experienced breeder member from Western Australia who is friend of mine and one of most experienced herpers in WA. his nickname is westaussie . PM him message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back