Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have any large lacies at the moment but i have rescued and cared for wild caught adult males. This would be really good experience for anyone wanting to keep one as you can get an understanding of how food focussed they are. Its great to see pics of tame ones crawling over their owners (my fault I know) but this is very rare. Some people, as said in this thread, don't even venture into their enclosures. Th eiwld caught ones I look after are kept in a pit and I feed them by throwing the rats into them. I would never gon in to their cages with food in my hand once I know they remember me as a food source.

I would receommend that anyone wanting to buy one, regardless of their age and experience, hang around a keeper for a while and get to know what they are all about.

Hi taylor,My name is simon i have been keeping reptiles for over 15 yrs and have been removing reptiles[mainly venomous] for over 12yrs.On the odd occasion have had to remove large monitors.I can fully understand you wanting a lacey i was the same with my first croc.Ihave been following this forum with great interest.I really think you should try to get some experience first with handling monitors first,maybe ask your local reptile dealer for some assistance.Everyone who has given you advice are on the money,Its a huge responsibility and they do BITE BAD...Im not trying to put you of but you really have to be in the right mind[if you know what i mean]

It wasn't until i was 23 that i got my first Lace Monitor, and after having it for 1 year i finally came to the conclusion that i was not ready for this species. Mainly because i was still very much 'hands on' with my reptiles and always wanted to hold it. This led to the animal always being defensive towards me. About 3 years later i was ready for a lacey again and started off with a few hatchlings.

this oh so very true i'm going through the same thing at the moment, i dont doubt that a 15 yr cannot look after it, however sooner rather then later you will have to move and they really dont like being moved (they are all claws and tails when they have to be caught and moved this is extremely traumatic for them) i have done this 2 times now and regret it dearly. i thought i was ready for a lacie but life is a bitter kick in the pants and now i'm starting at square one with him again because he associate me with moving him.
the are verry intelligent animals that require time, effort and lots of dedication, this is somewhat frustrating at times because you seem to never get anywhere with them ... my advice is to wait. this is a decision to be made when ur older its not about you its about the health and well-being of the lacie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back