Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the right attitude.

Yes, they're definately a 'look but dont touch' animal.

so true . ever since my mum has seen yours she can;t wait for a class 2. lol

deffinatly one of the best looking species

That's the right attitude.

Yes, they're definately a 'look but dont touch' animal.

l have never ever kept a Lace Monitor in my whole life, the reason why is l don't have enough space to house them, to keep say one pair of adult Lace Monitor's you need a enclosure that is 6 square metres, and height is very important also seeing they are a tree climber, so why keep a beautiful Lace Monitor locked up in a small enclosure inside all its life.

l also agree they are a look but not touch animal, l keep 5 adult Desert Sand Monitor's (Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus) that only grow to roughly 1.2metres long, l have been to hospital 2 times, that both required surgery, the first time l went in September 2003, l was in hospital for 5 full days, and they had to operate on my left hand twice, because bacteria from a bite on my left thumb got into my blood.

This was from a female Desert Sand Monitor that was only 85cm long, that wanted to eat my left thumb instead of a weaner rat l was offering to her, amagine if it was a adult Lace Monitor that tried to eat my thumb, it would have bitten it of.

So l would think twice about about getting a Lace Monitor, because of the risk envoled here, if you have never ever kept any species of Monitor, a responsible Reptile Keeper, would start of with a (Ridge-Tailed-Storrs-Pygmy-Mulga Monitor's) and gain their experience with them, before they would concider getting a medium or large Monitor.

Please take this advice seriously from experience Reptile Keepers.:)

yes that is true that i havnt had monitors before but im looking for some ridgies atm and as for the enclosure a have a room 3m x 4m x 2.5m

i read all about that and think i could handle leaving it allone
Don't take offence, but earlier on you were bumping this thread because no one responded after five minutes. How are you going to be with a monitor you can't even see (because it is hiding), never mind touch for possibly up to a year or more?

I was simply pointing out that raising baby lacies requires a lot of patience.

I thought you decided to get a spencer? cause you were asking what size etc.

Maturity

I'm also looking at purchasing a large monitor species either a lace monitor / perentie for my nephew, although they might seem like a fascinating animal they are going to be a huge comittment to ANYONE. Crocdoc has given very good advice to me against adolescents owning lace monitors. My nephew has done his research for the past year on large monitors, has been to zoo's to speak to keepers, emailed various owners of large monitors and i am becoming more accepting of the idea of keeping one of these animals. However crocdoc has very strong points for why a teenager should not keep one of these animals. In the end it is going to come down to how mature you are and whether you can handle looking after a lacie and by telling people "you dont care what they think" is not a great sign of maturity.

In no way am i trying to judge you, as i dont know you. This is just my opinion.

Thanks

Last edited:
think what you must i dont realy care

Taylor, that's the wrong attitude.

To really get the most out of keeping a Lacey, any advice given by crocdoc or other experienced monitor keepers should really be taken on board.

Lace Monitors are at their most rewarding when they are left completely to themselves. In time they will become bold, and this is when their personality will come out. But frequent handling (especially when young) is like taking a step back in progress.

I cant remember the last time i held any of my lacies. For most of them it would be well over a year. The aviaries are set up so that all i ever have to do is open the aviary door to hand them their food, and wash and refill their water bowl. Apart from this, they're on their own.

I suggest you give it a few years before buying one. In the meantime learn as much as you can about them, and perhaps see if there's any lacey keepers in your area that you can visit occasionally to see their lacies, especially during feeding time. It will give you great insight to their behaviour and demands.

sorry about the whole i dont care thing i respect that you are a very experiwnced monitor keeper i just hate it when people say that im imiture

people want this and that . but in reality things are alot different . ive had blokes tell me they are getting a lacie but nearly craped themselves when my ackie decided to dart off in his cage and wernt game to pick it up because it might bite:lol: you also need a fair bit of confidence there will be times where you have to lets say get in the cage and catch a 6 foot + lacie they are strong and can turn in your grip to try and bite you, claw you and whatever:lol: there could be times where things could get ugly and you have be quick and decisive because a lacie sure is . they are what i would say is a majestic animal .to be respected tike a tiger:lol: but a asset to any collection with the right mindset and capabilities.

ps wish someone would put up some pics up of when things go wrong . ive got pics of holding big lacies but no blood so no good:lol:

sorry about the whole i dont care thing i respect that you are a very experinced monitor keeper i just hate it when people say that im imiture and judge me because of my age

ps wish someone would put up some pics up of when things go wrong :lol:

Nothing's gone wrong for me yet. But there have been a few times in the past when the heart got pumping!:shock: Fortunately my lacies seem to be quite forgiving to my infrequent pesterings.

sorry about the whole i dont care thing i respect that you are a very experinced monitor keeper i just hate it when people say that im imiture and judge me because of my age

Not being smart but no one was saying that you were immature because of your age, they are refering to your attitude and the way you have responded to people. Good luck with the monitors. Remember to start off small.

Nothing's gone wrong for me yet. But there have been a few times in the past when the heart got pumping!:shock: Fortunately my lacies seem to be quite forgiving to my infrequent pesterings.

i know what your saying there . lets just say i look high and low before i enter the cage . also a pair of boots can come in handy also . yeah lessons have been learnt along the way . sounds like i could just be lucky like you Serps ...just hopefully i might win saturday lotto tonight :lol:

Warning: Graphic image

ps wish someone would put up some pics up of when things go wrong .:lol:

A picture for you. Lacie meets wrist (not mine). As lacie bites go, this one wasn't bad, as no tendons or arteries were severed. The person to whom this happened later said to me "lucky he didn't get a good solid bite or I would have been in trouble"
105979386.jpg

I'm more of a 'welding gloves man' myself;).

And a picture for you, too. Thick welding glove meets tiny female lacie. She was a bit excitable a few days after laying eggs, for she tried to attack the male and I intervened. Luckily I moved my hand within the glove for two teeth went right through. Had it been the male, the glove would only give the surgeon something extra to pick out of the wound.
71305873.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back