Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Tsubakai.

Now I feel silly for wasting my time responding to the same person asking the same questions (at least my answers are relatively consistent!).

I have also noticed that the original poster 'bumped' the thread when no one had answered after 11 minutes for that thread, too. Patience is not a strong suit for anyone at that age.

thanks crocdoc for putting the pics up . something to think about thats for sure also a little reminder to not become complacent ..

also crocdoc you might keep repeating yourself . i think you have to:lol: but i dont think it is wasted on everyone . you are helping people out that you may never know about that read your posts think about things but never post ect ....

crocdoc ,that wouldnt happen to be 'da donkey's' bite now?...besides the bites to which can be very serious the tail whips can hurt like crazy too..

at the pet shop i volunteer at there are two lacies both juvanile not much longer than 2 ft but i'll tell you right now people worry to much about thier claws its thier teeth and tail that get me nervous even the smaller one hes only 1ft and a half has left me with a few nice cuts thanks to his tail. i havent been bitten by them yet but its only a matter of time i reckon i'll get distracted or they will just be quicker then me one day and chomp.

the second i heard that large monitors even medium monitors can cause nerve damage i decided against getting anything bigger than a ridge tail i cant afford to lose mobility in my hands cuz then all the things i enjoy doing get seriously impacted. for example i wont be able to shoot or fish or paint my warhammer or play video games or safely handle my snakes. at least not as effeciantly as i can now.

crocdoc, da donkey is a member here on APS. If i remember correctly, he caught a wild lacey on Hamilton Island while under the influence of alcohol. He was bare chested at the time and the lacey managed to scratch his chest and bite his hand. I think he went to hospital for it.

brainiac.

The silliest thing about that whole story is that lacies are the easiest things to get photos of without having to grab them. They're natural posers. I've got thousands of photos of wild lacies - grabbing one is pointless and unnecessary and causes undue stress to the animals.

Iam sure donks knows how silly it was ....he even admitted it ..just thought you might of had the before shot of his wrist that was all ...

I was always under the opinion that someone should get any kind of reptile they wanted as long as they had the right attitude and did their research. In this case, after spending time helping a friend look after his lacies, I must agree that they are not for teenagers. They do indeed need to be left alone. You need a LOT of patience with them, and frankly, I can't remember meeting a teenager with that kind of patience :D

If you haven't had any kind of experience with owning a monitor before, then perhaps a lace monitor isn't an ideal choice. Although, if you still go ahead and get one, maybe you'll be like serpenttongue and realise that you aren't ready for something you can only have minimal contact with. Just remember to keep the monitor's best interests and wellbeing in mind.

brainiac.

The silliest thing about that whole story is that lacies are the easiest things to get photos of without having to grab them. They're natural posers. I've got thousands of photos of wild lacies - grabbing one is pointless and unnecessary and causes undue stress to the animals.
well his name isnt "da brain surgeon"

well i have a lace monitor myself,after keeping 2 other species of monitor previously..so yeah i agree with crocdoc and serpenttounge,i dont recommend lace monitors for the average 15yr old dude!..
cheers :D

i can picture feeding time,u jump in the cage with a rat,hahahah
taylor if u want one only you can decide,if u think you can handle it,by all means go for it,if you think it will be just like a 2 metre long bluetongue,your in for a supprise,monitors,if kept right will eat you out of the house,and then some,ridgies and gillens are bad enough,can u supply the same for a growing lacie,a rat here and there wont cut it

i dont have an issue with young and/or inexperienced people getting things like a lacie,as im sure the other folk who seem to scare u away from it,having kept lacies and many other monitor species,i/we are trying to let you know what you will be in for is all,end of the day,its your decision,if your like me,if you want it,you eventually get it,lol

one last point,do a search on monitor bites on here,i know some very tame ones that have mistakenly bitten a few keepers off here,or just snapped out of the blue,we arent just talking bout a little blood here,i know one bite that required 11 stitches,perhaps some pics from monitor bites would be better shown to you,they dont mess around,and even the most experienced are at risk from it

i can picture feeding time,u jump in the cage with a rat,hahahah
taylor if u want one only you can decide,if u think you can handle it,by all means go for it,if you think it will be just like a 2 metre long bluetongue,your in for a supprise,monitors,if kept right will eat you out of the house,and then some,ridgies and gillens are bad enough,can u supply the same for a growing lacie,a rat here and there wont cut it

i dont have an issue with young and/or inexperienced people getting things like a lacie,as im sure the other folk who seem to scare u away from it,having kept lacies and many other monitor species,i/we are trying to let you know what you will be in for is all,end of the day,its your decision,if your like me,if you want it,you eventually get it,lol

one last point,do a search on monitor bites on here,i know some very tame ones that have mistakenly bitten a few keepers off here,or just snapped out of the blue,we arent just talking bout a little blood here,i know one bite that required 11 stitches,perhaps some pics from monitor bites would be better shown to you,they dont mess around,and even the most experienced are at risk from it

well said mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back