Lily poisoning??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[I am responsible for my dogs, but if we (me, the dogs, and the possums) are all going to share the same urbanised lifestyle, then everyone has to learn the boundaries. The possums know that there are two massive predators in the yard - they're not stupid and without instinct. If they want scraps, they can get them from the bin outside the yard.]
This part of your quote is so familiar in what a lot of people claim ..if that animal enters my yard then its the animals fault not mine ....We as humans are the smarter of the two ..so isnt it up to us that can use our brains and come up with a different look at the situation from stopping it happening ?

and you saying possums arent endangered so its not a major concern? ...well at one stage TASSIE TIGERS werent endangered /extinct ..and so of many other native animals that have been wiped out because we couldnt see the forest for the trees so to speak and took it amongst ourselves to play off mother nature ..and who lost out not only the poor animal itself but WE DID too ...
anyway this has gotten off track ..once again regardless of what ya think about cats ..this is a sad situation and a learning lesson on the dangers of lilly plants ...

I'm not justifying anything. I hate that the dog killed the two possums, and if there was any threatened on endangered wildlife around, I would be managing the issue differently.
And I suppose you have done a comprehensive survery of all the species found in your yard? How on earth do you know little sugar gliders don't come down and get gobbled up by you dogs? Or types of lizards? You don't.

My parents cat is allowed outdoors freely much to my disagreement, but it has only once brought a baby possum home.. does this mean this is the only animal it's killed? Of course not it probably kills bucketloads. Unless you follow your dogs 24/7 to see what they are doing how do you know they are only preying on our common species?

You're right. While I have a good idea of what's in the area, and have done some casual surveying and spotlighting, anything could be coming into my treeless, bare backyard just for a wander and being completely eaten.

What would you suggest, Phil?

[I am responsible for my dogs, but if we (me, the dogs, and the possums) are all going to share the same urbanised lifestyle, then everyone has to learn the boundaries. The possums know that there are two massive predators in the yard - they're not stupid and without instinct. If they want scraps, they can get them from the bin outside the yard.]
This part of your quote is so familiar in what a lot of people claim ..if that animal enters my yard then its the animals fault not mine ....We as humans are the smarter of the two ..so isnt it up to us that can use our brains and come up with a different look at the situation from stopping it happening ?

and you saying possums arent endangered so its not a major concern? ...well at one stage TASSIE TIGERS werent endangered /extinct ..and so of many other native animals that have been wiped out because we couldnt see the forest for the trees so to speak and took it amongst ourselves to play off mother nature ..and who lost out not only the poor animal itself but WE DID too ...
anyway this has gotten off track ..once again regardless of what ya think about cats ..this is a sad situation and a learning lesson on the dangers of lilly plants ...

You must hate me, my dog stood on a garden skink once and i didnt even feel guilty about it. No doubt i will have great remorse when one day they extinct from dog trampling. Like you say its just like the tassy tiger scenario.

You must hate me, my dog stood on a garden skink once and i didnt even feel guilty about it. No doubt i will have great remorse when one day they extinct from dog trampling. Like you say its just like the tassy tiger scenario.
Cris you are a naughty boy nowhere in your post did you mention lilly plants and cats you are totally off track!!! now go away and show some remorse of your own to squinty ..RIP SQUINTYS CAT :(

You're right. While I have a good idea of what's in the area, and have done some casual surveying and spotlighting, anything could be coming into my treeless, bare backyard just for a wander and being completely eaten.

What would you suggest, Phil?
No suggestions Kristy, there's nothing you can do about dogs killing stuff in your own backyard short of muzzling them! I just think it's bogus you can say "It's OK if my dogs kill possums because there's plenty of them and they aren't killing anything endangered". There're plenty of dogs around too but if your dog killed another dog a different tune would be sung I would wager.

I never said it was okay, Phil. I said a couple of times that I hated that they'd killed those possums. But I'm not going to muzzle them constantly, or chain then up at night, so I'm doing my best by using product and measures to discourage the possums and cats from entering the yard.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was saying "It's okay, possums aren't endangered". I never said that, and it's certainly not my point of view. My point is that I'm not going to go to the same measures that I would if the victims were endangered/threatened/regular/multiple.

As to singing a different tune if it were another dog, surely you've read my other recent thread about the dogs? Of course it's a different matter that needs to be dealt with differently.

No suggestions Kristy, there's nothing you can do about dogs killing stuff in your own backyard short of muzzling them!

Well you can often train them not to kill stuff (some dogs may be harder or impossible to train). Rottis dont naturally let scrub turkeys peck them, one of ours used to.

My big male cat is just wandering the house meowing for his little friend. So so sad.

Does anyone know how long it till take till he has finished grieving and we can look at getting another cat??

If cat haters try squirting "lily juice" around they may find themselves quite ill.
A lot of years ago 2 teenagers died after ingesting "lily juice" (they were trying to get high).

Animals don't grieve quite the same way. For all your sake's, get another one as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. As soon as there's another cat to play with, he'll be back to normal a lot more quickly. So sorry again :(

Yeah I have done my research and it's part of the poison ivy group of plants so no wonder it's toxic.

My mrs want to go look at the RSPCA this weekend but I think it may be a bit too soon and I don't want her to get overly emotional.

How's the vet sent us a condolence card today. All hand written. It was a nice gesture.

On a happy note I'm currently sitting at the airport about to collect my new sa woma!! Yay.

I'm thinking if Mrs Squinty wants to get another cat this weekend, then she must be ready :D
It might be emotional, but thats ok, only time will really heal.

Congrats on your Woma :)

Michelle

I think she just wants to fill the empty hole I her heart. I'm sure she'll be fine. I wanna find the right cat again that fits in the household well. My other cat loved her to bits.

I think she just wants to fill the empty hole I her heart. I'm sure she'll be fine. I wanna find the right cat again that fits in the household well. My other cat loved her to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back