Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steevo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have my category 3 lisence coming in the mail and am aabsolutely amping to own my first snake. I'm really interested in either a coastal carpet python or a murray darling but the only snakes listed as being allowed on a WA cat 3 lisence are the stimpsons python and the southwest carpet python. Can anyone confirm this to be true for me? Can I get another type of carpet python other than a southwest carpet if i live in WA and what is the go with posting them interstate with quaranteen etc? Would love to here from anyone who has sent or recieved snakes interstate. Is it safe and efficient?

you cant get snakes into W.A at all im pretty sure sorry mate

Ricko said:
you cant get snakes into W.A at all im pretty sure sorry mate
Actually the laws have changed. As I said, my lisence has been processed and is in the mail.

No pythons allowed to be imported into WA... absolutely. You are stuck with those on the list, and no exceptions will be made. So SW carpets and Stimsons are your only option I'm afraid. You can only keep what's on the list, no exceptions.
Good luck, Jamie.

You can import elapids (if they're on the list), but not pythons...

i said you cant get them INTO w.a not you cant get them. because of the chances of diseases thats the reason i believe you cant import them into w.a

Hey, thanks so much guys, I guess that really cuts down my options.

Steevo it sure does. Im another perthy, and let me tell you its SUCKS!

To gain your cat4 license just so you can keep woma/bhp you need to own a cat3 animal on license for 12months.

I'm really not sure what CALM's problem is or why they feel the need to be complete wankers 99% of the time, but they are and thus is life.

Just thought you'd like to know that their has been alot more carpets available lately after it went dry for a while. Have seen them exotics and pet magic in cannington. Greedy pet stores still havent lowered prices. So expect to pay $350 + for a stimsons and around $1200 for a carpet!

I share the frustration with you Steevo and noxious. There are a few breeders on the list in WA which may worth trying for a more reasonable priced snake. You should get a list of them when you get your licensce Steevo.

shax

What I really don't understand about the licensing in Australia is how they decided to categorise cat2,3,4.

To me it looks like they put the names into a hat and drew them out at random. I have never kept BHP's or Woma. But I have a group of stimsons and a carpet. Fron what I gather on this forum and in my general readings and my own findings is that the cat4 pythons are no harder then the cat3's. Ackies are even cat4! and are considered a great starters monitor. But on a standard cat3 the only monitor available are caudo's, only ever seen them fs once and they were $850+.

thats the end of my rant...

dont get me started on not being legally allowed to keep scorpions

Re: RE: liscensing question from WA newbie

steevo said:
Hey, thanks so much guys, I guess that really cuts down my options.

It does but it sounds like a South Western Carpet may suit you anyway. There are not that many of them out east so you would have something pretty special.

re liscensing

Sounds tragic over yonder in WA,theyve got the dig it up or catch it and sell it mentality thing happening,export it export it royaltys royaltys yahoo!! sounds all too hard to deal with,exotics must be thriving in perth :lol:

RE: re liscensing

I would steer clear of petshops if you would like some experienced advice.

I'd like a Southwestern for less that $1200....

And Noxious- I could tell you stories that would curl your hair.

I'm agreeing with WestAussie 2 Billion percent on that one.

Not that I have even remotely that amount of cash...thanks to the courts (and we're still no closer to getting our daughter back).

Anyone wanna buy a Garmin GPS? Or a palm m505? :D

I must admit- WestAussie has one of THE highest reputations for reptiles in WA- I've heard a lot from a lot of people- and he stands out in the crowd when it comes to herpers.

Noxious said:

To me it looks like they put the names into a hat and drew them out at random. I have never kept BHP's or Woma. But I have a group of stimsons and a carpet. Fron what I gather on this forum and in my general readings and my own findings is that the cat4 pythons are no harder then the cat3's.

Not entirely true, the Cat 4 pythons do require a little more experience - just look at the amount of BHP's in pet shops with incomplete sheds..........don't think I've seen as many of those issues with Carpets or Stimsons - but not saying they don't happen.

It really depends which store you go to. I agree that in general, pet shops are no good. But if you look around at talk to staff it quickly becomes apparent which ones are decent stores with knowledgable staff and which aren't. If you are after a nice BHP, visit Kevin at exotics in wangara, you will be hard pressed finding anyone as knowledgable as him. I have also seen some great looking snakes there.

Incomplete sheds. Is due to the conditions in which the snakes are kept under, not the species. I have even seen a few not so good looking stimmis around. If you keep any snake under poor conditions it will suffer.

I didn't know a Kevin worked there Nox....maybe I missed him or something. I have only dealt with Steve.

I'll keep my opinions quiet on different shops, as I don't want to get smacked by them. But if someone wanting a reptile asks- I'll say something- I have people who I won't deal with, and I recommend those I would.

you will be hard pressed finding anyone as knowledgable as him ...

I could name a lot of keepers who know more than this petshop. ..I will bite my tongue again.
I have had to fix a few problems for people who have bought animals from there.
exotic tropical fish suddenly became reptile experts in the last 3 years.
hhhmmmm

I am constantly picking kevs brain and anyone else who i can sap info out of. So far he has not given me a single piece of information that I have later found to be false. He is also a licensed catcher as I'm sure you are aware, have seen some very nice snakes come from him, including a couple of my stimmis. Havent had a problem yet (touch wood).

westaussie- what stores/people if any would you recommened? I am always looking for new people to ask questions and source reptiles from. Most stores I have been to are garbage.

ps - the wait to december is killing me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back