Live Food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armand

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey, does anyone know of a place in Sydney that i legally buy live mice from. No pet stores want to sell me live mice cause i got a snake..
cheers

For what reason do you want them live, may I ask?

you can leagaly buy live mice
you just cant leeeeagaly feed em live to your snake but whos gonna find out

have you tried extreme pets liverpool,the pet center at birkenheadpoint near drummone,kellyville pets,windsor reptile supplies,minto pets,st marys pet center:p

If you are being serious, I feel the need to tell you feeding live animals to captive snakes is not good for either animal. Your snake will probably receive injury from bites, scratches etc and its not very humane for the rodent. I also believe it is illegal so therefore I understand why petshops won't sell to you. I'm sorry if I offend you however, I find it immature and irresponsible of someone to feed live prey unnecessarily when frozen food is available. If you are having a lend of me then I apologise, if not I hope you have learnt something.

i'll sell live mice to you, i work at pets 'r' fun in eastgardens we figure hey snakes gotta eat too. we have a lot of poeple who come to us who are in the same boat as you. at the moment i have quite a few mice in, although they're a bit on the small size. come in and ask for pip, although all the gurls will sellf or food, just be honest and tell them what its for so they don't sell the 'nice', good for pet ones.

It's legal where I am. My petshop does it as do quite a few around my area. I sold a guy for live pinkie mice today. It was sad putting them in the box. I said to him "If only they knew their fate" and he just laughed at me. Haha.

the whole legeality of it is a bit of a grey area from what i've heard, basically what the RSPCA told me was don't advertise them as live food, but it's basically at your desgression since something like that is pretty much impossible to police

haha i no but i got some info from one of my frends that moved to WA on how to feed it withought it biting the snake. Im not trying to be mean its just the people we baught him off said that he prefered live mice over dead ones (i dont even know why they fed him lives ones it sounds very cruel) but because he was fed live mice i dont want to just let him ony eat thawed ones.

Are you people seriously encouraging someone to feed live? I am appauled. If the reason to feed live is for some "action" for the snake and obviously a "kick" for yourself, then you don't deserve to own a snake.

no i'm not, but some snakes won't take frozen and letting an animal strave to death is pretty crule. i actually refuse sale as food to poeple who display the attitude of i wanna see things die, the people i sell to a actually talk to first offer suggestions and generally suss them out

The snake doesn't know the difference between a live mouse and a dead mouse. I have absolutely no respect for people who feed live rodents to snakes when not absolutely necessary.

no i'm not, but some snakes won't take frozen and letting an animal strave to death is pretty crule

Well it sounds like this one does eat thawed, so apart from the macho factor why feed live? The snake doesn't mind.

i also dont like seeing animals die but just understand that he basiclly only ate live mice so i cant just stop giving it too him.. i will stop asap but its also unfait to the snake to give him dead ones if he walays ate live ones.
thats ok tan i get what you are saying and i agree but im trying to be fair to the snake too.

Horsy, you should be ashamed of yourself. Unless all avenues have been exhausted, feeding live is inhuman, plus the risk of injuring your snake and it getting infections is not worth the risk. For a person who works in a petshop your attitude is disgusting. Please be careful who you take advice from on this site, young girls don't necessarily know what is best for your animal.

Lol. Get over it. Your little rants aren't going to stop people feeding live if they want to. It's no different from crickets or feeder fish, worms or crustations. it's all live. Some feel pain different but they all feel at least some pain.
It's called nature. Millions of animals die everyday in the hands of a predator. it's life.

its true wat horsy says its either the mouse gets killed with an injection (that could take up to 2mins) or it can be constricted (which takes seconds for a small mouse).

i also dont like seeing animals die but just understand that he basiclly only ate live mice so i cant just stop giving it too him.. i will stop asap but its also unfait to the snake to give him dead ones if he walays ate live ones.
thats ok tan i get what you are saying and i agree but im trying to be fair to the snake too.

It's not unfair. It removes the unnecessary risk of injury to the snake, and if feeding frozen/thawed you also remove the risk of transferring worms (among other things) to the snake. Something which is almost certain to happen if feeding live mice purchased from a pet shop. If the snake knew what you were doing for it it would most certainly thank you for putting its health before your sick amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back