Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dellanator

Reaction score
Hi :lol:

Im just starting to apply for my first snake keeping licence and am beginning to set up its home, but I have a lot of questions that Im struggling to find the answer for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Im live in Carnarvon, northern West Aust. Im thinking of getting a carpet python but firstly want to know how to best set up its home.

I have an aquarian that I think (hope!) will be a good starting point. Its quite large- 65cm deep, 65cm wide and 1.9m long. Can anyone tell me if this is large enough to keep a carpet python? How large do they realistically grow? Its quite long but am I correct in assuming they aren’t a climbing snake so the length is more important than the height?

Also, where would be the best place in the house to keep the snake? I would ideally like to keep it in the living area, but would it be better off in a quieter room, away from TV, music and general people noise?

I have done some research into heating and would I be right in thinking that about half to third of a long tank should heated and other half unheated? What is the best way to do this- are those heated rocks ok or would a floor pad be better? My aquariam is glues to a wooded base so putting the heating pad directly onto the bottom of the auqariam is not possible.

Is it true that because carpet pythons are not digging snakes (?) a sandy floor is not required and carpet lining or similar is ok? What would you recommend as the best surface to use ?

Hiding holes- I have read that pythons like places to hide, so a few of these would be useful?

Water- what size water container do they need?

Humidity- do I need anything to control the humidity in the tank? I will be using a screen lid- Ive heard this is needed for ventilation etc

Sunlight- As the snake will be inside and only receiving sunlight though a window, do I need to use a UV light or similar at times and how often do I need to do this?

Sorry theres so many questions- Ive tried to find some good answers to all of these but am reallt struggling!!!

Thanks a lot!!

Well since your still online I will try to answer some until tomorrow when others can help you out more.

Depending on what size carpet you are getting, you would be fine with a smallish plastic tub with a secure lid. Putting a small snake into a big enclosure can stress it out unless it has plenty of hides etc, and in my opinion I wouldnt use an aquarium anyway due to insulation for the heat (can escape too much through the glass).

Carpets are aboreal meaning they do like to climb, but as long as they have a few branches or a perch to go up on it should be fine, its really up to you how you want to set it up whether it be a more height or length based enclosure.

For the tub I just use a heatcord placed underneath one end, for a larger enclosure the best way would be a bulb / ceramic heater with a thermostat.

When you first get it home, would probably be best if you let it settle for a week or 2 in a quiet area, then maybe try and shift it into the lougeroom if you really want it there and see how it goes if it shows any signs of stress.

Substrate - the most easy and convenient thing to use is newspaper, just throw it out and replace once it is soiled, or some people prefer marine carpet more for looks.

Hiding holes - yes, as many as you want to put it, but they should always be provided with one, you could place one in a cool area, then one in a warm area.

Water - big enough to soak in

Humidity - not sure how this would go in an aqarium of that size with a mesh top, you may find it might be too dry, depending on what carpet you have. I assume bredli would prefer a lower humidity level than say a coastal carpet

Sunlight - make sure the tank does not overheat if it is going to be in direct sunlight, and someone correct me if im wrong but I think glass filters out most UV rays anyway, however carpets do not need this except for the diamond python (arguably)

An adequate sized water dish should keep the humidity at a level where the snake can shed. If your having trouble keeping it high enough then lower the amount of ventilation.

Most people stay away from heat rocks as snakes can sit on them too long and burn themselves (obviously any heat globe would need to be caged to stop the snake raping around it).

Try to have a hide at each end (hot end and cold end) and a climbing branch/log.

Like Vixenbabe said, when you first get it it will be way too small for that enclosure so while it is growing it will need to be kept in a smaller container.

You don't need uv light. You only really need uv for lizards and turtles.

I guess you could try it in the living room and if the snake starts to stress then it might have to be moved somewhere quieter (either way when you first get it make sure its somewhere nice and quiet so it can settle in).

Newspaper/ paper towels are the best substrate. There's no chance of them ingesting it, its easy to clean and its cheap.

Anyway, what type of carpet python's do you have access to on that side of the country?

Hey there :D

Firstly Congrats on getting your snake! What type of carpet python will it be?

Correct me if I'm wrong guys... but I've heard that Glass aquariums aren't that good for snake AT ALL.? Since the heat can escape easilly and its too open and the snake will stress out

2ndly, as the others have said, if its a hatchling (or a yearling) you will only need a plastic tub for the 1st yr or so.

I use a heat cord for mine and get a thermostat to control the temps...
For substrate I use astro turf, easy to clean & I think it helps the snake shed. But to start off with use paper towl or newspaper

Housing the snake: at first I would keep it in a quieter room so it can settle in, then after a few weeks and it has settled in try it in the living room and see how it goes

Hides: depends how big the enclosure is, two at a minimum

Water: I use one where they can soak in and still have a little bit of room and that should help keep the humidity controled

Hope this helps and good luck with it
Let us know how it all goes and we need pics:lol::D

cheers
Trouble

Check this site out - itz only relatively new I think but got lots of info. This link shows the approved reptile list and which category licence is required. The only carpet allowed to be kept in WA is the south-western carpet python.

http://www.virtual-cyberspace.com/war/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

As the others have said an aquarium isn't really the best idea. U can make it more heat efficient by lining three sides with wood but if ur gonna do that u might as well build one imo. If ur getting a hatchie a plastic tub will be quite adequate for at least a year - my yearlings are still in tubs.

Carpet pythons average a length of 7-9 ft, some are smaller some bigger but most will end up around 7-9ft. They do like to climb so a bit of height along with branches would be appreciated. My carpet is kept in a 5ft H, 4ft W, 2.5ft D plywood enclosure. They can however be kept quite happily in smaller enclosures.

Itz up to the individual snake on where u should keep them. Let them settle in and observe them to see how they're doing then decide. My yearlings are in my room right near the tv and stereo and they're fine. The carpets in a common area with my lil bro and his friends always running past and he (the snake) doesn't seem to care

As for heating - if ur using a tub then heat cord or a heat mat under about 1/3 of the floor space should do. Just be sure to check the temps before u put the snake in to make sure they're correct with no major fluctuations.

Newspaper is easily the best substrate but not exactly attractive. Therez lots u could use. Another easy substrate that I used to use was just green towels. Just rememebr not to wash with fabric softener (or other pplz clothes)

Having a place for the snake to hide away is very important. I have two in with my yearlings (just empty cardboard boxes) and one up high in with my carpet. Itz just a round plastic tub with an entrance hole cut in it.

For water i use a kittly litter tray for my carpet and pet food bowls for the yearlings.

A screen lid wouldn't control humidity very well at all. U should get a hygrometer to measure the humidity and then play around with spraying, position of the waterbowl etc to get it right - around 75% humidity i think is suitable.

A UV light isn't really necessary imo but if u want to use one it can't do any harm. I take mine outside every now and then just in case.

Do some google searches for caresheets and the name of the python u want - u should find heaps of info. And of course keep posting here too!

Cheers!

Thanks heaps for the help- very helpful and much appreciated. I was thinking of a south western Carpet Python or a stimsons... although ive read that south westerns are more aggressive feeders (?) and slightly larger than stimsons, so Id really like one of those

any thoughts/ info on that selection?

thanks trouble- great help! could anyone tell me more about the cons (and pros) of using an aquarium? mine will be inside in a room which should be easy enough to control temp and humidity in, and would ideally use a mesh lid if thats the best option???

there are also many good care sheets on this site.

and - if you are looking to purchase equipment (ie thermostate to contraol the temps, heat emitters) look at the banners at the top of this site, places like the herpshop and Ultlmate reptile supplies also sells snakes, and equipment, adn are great places.

Cheers Bec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back