Missing pet snakes in sydney

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

$NaKe PiMp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A have 3 escapee pythons that have turned up recently one from Fairfield yesterday and a couple weeks ago from Gymea bay . Also about a month ago a python turned up in Cremorne. If you or anyone you know have lost anpython in those areas i would like to hear from you and let me know what type you lost and a description.

Hope you find the owners mate! Best of luck :)

Thanks, I've never had any luck tracking down owners and the snakes usually go on the wish list for adoption through a herpetological society

Oh that sucks :( I hope you have better luck this time around!

That Jungle Jag x Bredli is mine sry i left the door open....lol...........dam i always double check me locks...hope i dont have to admit i messed up 1 day!!!!!!

That Jungle Jag x Bredli is mine sry i left the door open....lol...........dam i always double check me locks...hope i dont have to admit i messed up 1 day!!!!!!

Get lots of bredli crosses. I have a handful of people get there snakes back from me. I just assumed that they are either off license or the person doesn't care that much. I used to keep them for 3 months but these days I just want them moved on. Goodluck Rob. BTW Alyn picked up another pet snake from the Golf course and theres been two from the nursery nearby.

that poor water python dumped ast the golf course was too far gone to survive,very sad some idiot would let a tropical species go during a sydney winter.
I have had no takers for these snakes so i am going to have to foster them out to new homes.

Not interested just curious as to how you go about fostering pythons out to homes legally ?

Either they end up with Npws for ballots or herp
societies who effectively loan you the animal. If you need to move it on it goes back to the herp society to give to another member.

found out this after speaking to a local catcher

Last edited:
They 're everywhere. Its going crazy.
Only a matter of time before we catch jags out there.

Not interested just curious as to how you go about fostering pythons out to homes legally ?
Like I mentioned before they can be fostered through a Herp society or
the Ballot. I have also given them to keepers who record the transaction and I
Record there licence details.I try to get them homed quickly so there housed and
cared for properly with out too much delay.
The alternative is euthanasia like what happens with all those damn corn snakes that turn up.

Last edited:
Ahk its good to see there is a way to get these reptiles housed instead of killed, Do you get many corn snakes?

Crosses being released? Do you think they would breed with the wild population? What sort of impact do you guys think it would have? Sorry about all the questions. They were just running through my mind. I don't know enough about Australia's climate or to much about carpets.

We get lots of diamonds with obvious northern carpet characteristics. We have also picked up well established carpets around the boundaries of Kuringi Nat Park but mostly we get animals that are inpoor condition, escaped pets. The other snake from the same location as the water python also had to be euthanaised.

Crosses being released? Do you think they would breed with the wild population? What sort of impact do you guys think it would have? Sorry about all the questions. They were just running through my mind. I don't know enough about Australia's climate or to much about carpets.

Not necessarily just x's being released. Every snake wants to get out of its cage, and heaps do. There are no records or data for this sort of thing, the ONLY people who know whats going on out there in the wild snake population are the established relocators/catchers. We have seen the difference that bringing snakes in as pets has had and is having, on the wild population, mainly around the major places of human population, metro and suburbia. All carpet pythons will breed with each other, both in the wild and in captivity.
My main beef with the people responsible for bringing the jag gene into this country is this exact reason. It really is only a matter of time before someone has some escape or released and then the gene will be in the wild, affecting the wild pop's. The arguments I have heard from founding jag breeders is that they are pets and won't escape... in the next breath though, they tell me that the neuro problem isn't really a problem and most jags can live normal lives and the badly affected are euthed... So in theory... and this is open for debate, if a jag is unaffected by the neuro disorder and it gets out what is stopping it from doing exactly what all the other escapee 'out of area' pythons are doing to our local population?
Because I have an interest in this, I have been doing some research. Its very difficult to get any true and real data on who's keeping what and escape rates. (I call it escaped, wether purposely released or not) But correlating info as I get it, would seem (and because of the difficulty with data) loosely, that around 15-30% of keepers will have their snake escape at some time or another, and around 5-10% are never found again. This is purely my personal observations and opinion, based on an interest in this topic and my own experience in the field of wild catch and release. If you work the numbers on a rough estimate of how many pet snakes there are now, and being bred every year.....

In saying this I personally don't care what people breed with what. No one has control over that so why should I care? This is just what is happening and my opinions on the future.

Last edited:
that poor water python dumped ast the golf course was too far gone to survive,very sad some idiot would let a tropical species go during a sydney winter.

People never cease to amaze me, in the most detestable ways. Poor snake.

i came accross this diamond that u suspected to be some ones pet!
i released it into the nearby bush land where ive seen a few diamonds!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/first-call-196199/
I have to relocate dozens of diamonds on the northern beaches
and they are very common you even get them around
dee why, taking them too far away is not the right thing to do
and deciding if it is a pet or not is not for your average person
to decide, as I said there common near dee why and should be left there
with in there home range, which they have probably occupied
for many years, introducing them to a foreign area they are not
familiar with puts them at a disadvantage for shelter sites , food source
locations, they would be at quite a disadvantage to
Resident specimens and end up wandering into the wrong area and probably relocated to another area yet again from someone that thinks there doing the right
thing.

- - - Updated - - -

People never cease to amaze me, in the most detestable ways. Poor snake.
Yes people suck and there is some dodgy idiots who some how get hold of snakes and do the wrong thing wih them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back