Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, mybe i could ask help here. My mum hates snakes, spiders, lizards, frogs, scorpions, and any large Bugs. Anyone got any idea's at all to convince her to let me keep something. Dad sais whatever mum sais.

A baby gecko of any sort is sure to change their mind!

Does she freak out at Turtles ?

How is she with snails and ant farms

Failing that you may need to invest in Sea Monkies, Axelotles or Goldfish.

I don't like Vegemite, red wine, beer, garlic or cereal with milk, but I accept that some people do like those things.... we're all different and like different things. If my mum was as accepting and tolerant of snakes as yours is I'd have had a snake 40 years ago!
i love red wine and beer

My mum wont alow snakes, mice and rats at all!...took me and dad years to let us have a lizard now she loves em...im working on the part when mum lets me get a kiddies python...

What is a "kiddies python"?

my mum absolutly hates any snake/reptile....i think its funny that she wont even enter my reptile room....ahhh well they are an aquired taste i spose

I am a Mum and my hubbie and I are waiting for our sons to leave home so we can turn one of their bedrooms inot a herp room lol

I think the sad thing is people are really conditioned to hate snakes....and unfortunately it is to do with fear of being bitten by a poisonous one makes them think all are nasty/dangerous etc.

I went out to dinner on the thursday before easter with some girlfriends and i said "You'll never guess what my easter pressie is" They said give me a hint. I said "It is alive and it comes out of an egg". Well they guessed chicken duckling, was it a platypus etc etc it went on all night nobody in their wildest imaginings thought it would be a snake until one person said snake right at the end of the night. It was so interesting the reactions most people were horrified. Most also immediately presumed she would be poisonous and couldnt imagine she wouldnt be.

So poor Mum is a victim of being conditioned to be scared of them. I think if she lets you have one then this is good. I do understand where you are coming from as it is something she is missing out on.....and it is hard when you think having a snake is a fascinating wonderful priveledge.

If you can get her to have some positive experiences with them she might change her mind. I know my attitude to snakes was transformed at just 8 years of age. I went to Eric Worrelss reptile park. I dont remember anything else about the day except volunteering to go out the front and have a snake draped around my shoulders. I will never forget the feeling of it it was amazing and it truely made me have such a different atitude to snakes even from that time.

Good luck

Elizabeth

What is a "kiddies python"?

I think Shari means a 'Childrens python'..... :) Which isn't actually a python FOR children. They are part of the 'Antaresia' group

It get its name, I believe, from the man who discovered them, or was named after one of his employees.

I am a Mum and my hubbie and I are waiting for our sons to leave home so we can turn one of their bedrooms inot a herp room lol

I think the sad thing is people are really conditioned to hate snakes....and unfortunately it is to do with fear of being bitten by a poisonous one makes them think all are nasty/dangerous etc.

I went out to dinner on the thursday before easter with some girlfriends and i said "You'll never guess what my easter pressie is" They said give me a hint. I said "It is alive and it comes out of an egg". Well they guessed chicken duckling, was it a platypus etc etc it went on all night nobody in their wildest imaginings thought it would be a snake until one person said snake right at the end of the night. It was so interesting the reactions most people were horrified. Most also immediately presumed she would be poisonous and couldnt imagine she wouldnt be.

So poor Mum is a victim of being conditioned to be scared of them. I think if she lets you have one then this is good. I do understand where you are coming from as it is something she is missing out on.....and it is hard when you think having a snake is a fascinating wonderful priveledge.

If you can get her to have some positive experiences with them she might change her mind. I know my attitude to snakes was transformed at just 8 years of age. I went to Eric Worrelss reptile park. I dont remember anything else about the day except volunteering to go out the front and have a snake draped around my shoulders. I will never forget the feeling of it it was amazing and it truely made me have such a different atitude to snakes even from that time.

Good luck

Elizabeth
Why wait make them share a room get your snakes now. My boys would sl;eep outside if it ment more snakes. :lol:

I think Shari means a 'Childrens python'..... :) Which isn't actually a python FOR children. They are part of the 'Antaresia' group

It get its name, I believe, from the man who discovered them, or was named after one of his employees.

Yeah, I knew that they were named for John Children, I just wasn't sure if the poster was being serious....

i am a mother myself and did not like the idea of a snake. my son started out with 2 blue tongues for his 5th birthday. then a scorpion for his 6th.... pass on a few years and now he has just turned 10 and has added 8 more scorpions, fish, 3 cats and a snake to the picture and tomorrow we are picking up another snake!! i have grown to really love them and appreciate them as well as the scorpions however, he wants a turantula... this is where i draw the line. no spiders in my house will remain here for long, i usually catch them and put them outside right away, dont do spiders!!!! just cant fathum the thought so he will have to wait till he is older to get his own and when he does, i will not even be looking at it so really, your mum may or may not change but she has not killed it so your lucky!! some people just dont see what we see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back