Mutton Bird Oil Testing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturdy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So today i got myself a bottle of mutton birl oil.

I've decided to conduct a test and report on the findings on how effective it is on juvi tiger snake from captive bred origins.

the test will involve 3 juvi tiger snakes from the same clutch all are feeding on pinkie mice.

!st tiger will be the control, no mutton bird oil will be used when feeding this tiger.

2nd tiger will be given the recommended dosage amount being 1ml per Kg of body weight on every 3rd feed

3rd tiger will be given the recommended dosage amount being 1ml per Kg of body weight every week.

all feeding times will be done on exactly the same day at the same time every 5 to 6 days.

on the 1st of every month all tigers will be weighted and documented on any changes.

First feedings will be offered this coming Thursday 14th may 2009

1st Weighing will be done after the tigers have defecated, prior to 1st feeding on the Thursday.

ive used it before, from what i have seen it has made some difference.

may i suggest one more thing to your experiment, although it might not matter so much now while they are on pinkies(i cant imagine half a gram having much of an effect) but weighing the mouse before feeding to make sure that its not just one snake getting a bigger mouse each feed contributing to his size and or health.

ive used it before, from what i have seen it has made some difference.

may i suggest one more thing to your experiment, although it might not matter so much now while they are on pinkies(i cant imagine half a gram having much of an effect) but weighing the mouse before feeding to make sure that its not just one snake getting a bigger mouse each feed contributing to his size and or health.

will do Mckellar, will also make sure they all have the same weight as each other...

hmmmnnn, if it were a student of mine doing this experiment i would argue that the results are not conclusive. you really need a larger sample size to eliminate individual genetics. Aside from this I would also be concerned with the accuracy of measuring the dose, 1ml per kg is gonna be hard to measure with the tiny amounts needed for juvi tigers... not having a dig Sturdy, just making some constructive criticism as a high school science teacher.

hmmmnnn, if it were a student of mine doing this experiment i would argue that the results are not conclusive. you really need a larger sample size to eliminate individual genetics. Aside from this I would also be concerned with the accuracy of measuring the dose, 1ml per kg is gonna be hard to measure with the tiny amounts needed for juvi tigers... not having a dig Sturdy, just making some constructive criticism as a high school science teacher.

your welcome jack.

yes if i had more tigers to do this with then i would be testing with more.

as for dosage, i got some syringes that can measure down to a 20th of a ml, ill try my best but it would be interesting to share my findings.

have to post pone the first set of results due to having dead scales... first weight results will be hopefully next thursday

they will not grow the same if you just feed pinkie mice snakes are like us some get fat and some do not....i have dun this with colletti ,porphyriacus,superbus, they all grow at a different rate...

I agree with Jack the results will be only an indication at best due to the size of the study group. Any result will be interesting though and may prompt further research into supplements which can't be a bad thing.

P.S. Does anyone know how the UWS study on Childreni feeding regime has progressed. Specifically varying the amount of food feed as a fixed percentage of body weight and its influences on growth rate at different percentages.

Regards
Stuart

your welcome jack.

yes if i had more tigers to do this with then i would be testing with more.

as for dosage, i got some syringes that can measure down to a 20th of a ml, ill try my best but it would be interesting to share my findings.

I have only had very little to do with mutton bird oil but I suspect you are going to have a hard time dispensing something that thick in such minute quantities regardless of the syring graduations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back