my beardy doest like to be touched at all!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle199

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey everyone..
i have a central beardy hes about 6weeks old now n he really doesnt like to be touched at all or be held..
whenever i put my hand in the tank he moves n gets skittish n then if i try touch him he runs all over the place to get away:(..
are most babys like this?
do u think i should just keep trying n he will come around,
does anyone have any hints to make him accept me a bit better?
or do i just not have a handler lol.
any help would be great:)
thanks kyle

Probably hasnt had much handling.......handle at night when asleep,dont be hesitant, they can smell fear like dogs do.
If you do this each night for as long as you want..he'll have positive memories & also know your smell

Place him over your heart..beardie will feel your heart beat ..less stressful
if he struggles ,place your hand over his eyes until he calms down..repeat this as much as you have to

make sure he is calm before you put him back in his tank...just like a dog ,you are his master!

thats interesting info dragon lady. out of my three only one is like kyle199 described. the others come running up to you. only around 2 months old as well. interested to hear how it went with your tips.

Should work...does with new adults as well.....

generally beardies go a very light colour at night to not enable predators to see them.....
also there heart beat slows down so they wont be heard & be sitting prey.....

thus they are very calm at night... best way to introduce new things into a habitat.. to handle & get to know them & them you...& also if you have to medicate it also helps

cool info i'm gonna try it on puph cause he's skittish too.

cool i'll try that too, one of my little ones is skittish.
got a new beardie last night and he is placid as so i hope he can show my other one im not really that scary. lol

Its much easier if you jst consult the tarot before buying. I also feel it important to do a palm reading of the seller aswel to ensure they have enogh love and kindness to offer animals they have been caring for.

Should work...does with new adults as well.....

generally beardies go a very light colour at night to not enable predators to see them.....
also there heart beat slows down so they wont be heard & be sitting prey.....

thus they are very calm at night... best way to introduce new things into a habitat.. to handle & get to know them & them you...& also if you have to medicate it also helps
Wouldn't a lighter colour be easier to see at night, rather then turning a darker colour. I.e. You struggle to see red/orange/brown/black rocks, sticks or debris at light but the light grey/white/cream coloured ones are much easier to see. I.e. Why backstage crew and burgulars were black and not white/grey.

Also wouldn't the heart rate be slowing down because they are sleeping not because they are stealthy ninjas with a heart speed switch.

I agree about not putting him back unless he is calm, however.

Sorry if i sound demeaning, i honestly don't mean too. Can i ask where you sourced the information on the heart rate.....i'd be keen to see the sources.

Beardie have 2 black dots at on their shoulders.......to portray as eyes so eagles/hawkes dont carry them away
most sleep on a branches not rocks in the wild or in covered caves.... the frilly also camouflages at night
lighter not darker... it blends them in with their native surrounding as well , including the sand that is naturally in their enviroment.
Yes....of course the heart rate is slowing down while they are asleep...but more so.... its almost to the point (especially wild born)...that you cant see them breath!

Womanator.....wouldnt you say that in our environment (a dark house at night..!) it would be blacker
as we dont have the moonlight to help us see, as we have ceilings & walls
backstage crew generally wear black for blending in if they are using a fake screen......... & there is not reflection from black.

By adjusting your eyes at night....you can see from the moon...so can amimals!

Sorry the heart rate is common sense.......as a child it was pointed out to me by a few Aboriginal Tribe members who tracked.......they explained the basics of nature, the eyes on the back of our beardies..
the stripes & patterns on our snakes & monitors...all for natural survival reasons..
its not scientific... its for their survival...fundamentally basic

i forgot to add ..if your beardie is dark at night ,the habitat temp may be too low....
generally they are dark when trying to digest food,shed & trying to attract more heat.... & if unwell
they gape with their mouths to have intake of cool air while letting their body temp rise

Reptiles are incredible creatures that change to suit their needs.... they can teach us allot

Beardie have 2 black dots at on their shoulders.......to portray as eyes so eagles/hawkes dont carry them away
Sounds good but a raptors eyesight and perception of prey is way more advanced than that, if it can make out "eyes" on the lizards shoulder it already knows it's a lizard

They dont like being handled, they merely TOLERATE It!
Truck head!

How do people come up with this stuff?
The sheer entertainment value of the internet is priceless :lol:

Is codswallop an allowed word on this forum?

Wouldn't a lighter colour be easier to see at night, rather then turning a darker colour. I.e. You struggle to see red/orange/brown/black rocks, sticks or debris at light but the light grey/white/cream coloured ones are much easier to see. I.e. Why backstage crew and burgulars were black and not white/grey.
What about the ones that live in the snow :rolleyes::lol:

back to the topic, like dragonlady said handling @ night time is a great start, just let it fall asleep on your chest while ur watching telly, they enjoy massages and back rubs. :).

All my beardies LOVE snuggling up with their human pets,....if theyre on the lounge and we're on the lounge they climb onto us to snuggle in 4 a nap. :)

its an opinion to say her methods or beleifs are codswallop, and its also an opinion that they merely tolerate. its rather rude and racial to suggest that the aboriginal beleifs and some what religeon is so.

i beg to differ that they merely tolerate. my dragons enjoy my company, and will actually walk over and snuggle, as a prefered place than any were else in the house or enclosure. they brighten when around a human, and seem happier. i think its more the opinions and beleifs of the owner that deter their toleration from enjoyment.

although you may not beleive and may even find dragonlady's methods as humorous. they are effective, well at least in my, and many other experiences.

a hatchling who has adapted to peacefull human contact is more enclined to adapt to handling, and recognise the owner enough to relax and perhaps enjoy such contact. just as the first year of life is crucial for growth and health, i beleive the same goes with adapting to a human relationship. just as a dog would adapt to human contact, and 'respect' there owner enough not to fire up, bark, attack and bite. i beleive my dragons do the same. mine have never bitten me, and Puppy (whome ive had since 2 week sold) only once bearded, as a 3 inch hatchling.. loud noises, lights and sudden movments, handling and even the occasional shower doesnt agitate him a bit. maybe he's just lazy, and semi-comotosed.

when they are so young and small. excessive contact, hands and exploring fingers can be very stressful. but simple bonding methods like sitting with your beardie, on your knee, or chest. or wrapping them in a soft towel, at lights out. convinces them into a safe environment. lights out seems like anethesia when they are young. in a semi dark room, they recognise your presence, and fall asleep. i beleive this makes them comfortable with your presence.

of course every keeper has different veiws and opinions. this is what has worked for me and my dragons, and various other people around the world. especially when they are young, your a huge preditor, you need to move slowely, and enforce that you are not going to eat them. i dont think removing yourself completely will teach them your not a preditor, or to even be perfeclty comfortable with your presence.

if you dont beleive in dragonlady's methods or beleifs, your welcome to comment or show your opinion thoroughaly. rather than bash her verbally. what are you? nine years old? at least add some advice or a comment to the OP which is helpfull. or somethign to contribute to the conversation.

although the camoflague at night, and eyes patterns on the neck seems a little skepticle or outragous to me, i dont think you need to poke at it in humour, its 'apparently' the aboriginals culture and beleifs, that these animals act and look the way they do, for survival. you may think, its just coz they look pretty or cool.

take a chill guys, this is an actual person that your walloping their beleifs and possibly culture. go play gameboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back