my beardy doest like to be touched at all!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry.....
i am not a scientist.....didnt go to university....
going by my own experience... to get best results with handling skittish animals ...especially reptiles
they are calmer at night...when sleeping...

Isis... your advice on this is....????????
Zed.... how do you deal with you skittish beardies....???

please does anyone have other ideas to help Kyle199 with his beardies..????

I get upset at times when people promote complete and utter garbage at the expense of the well being of an animal,so shoot me!

Beardies arent nocturnal and as such disturbing them of a night will cause them stress.Reptiles are not calmer at night and if you truly believe that then you are more than welcome to come over to my place after sundown and tame a 7KG BHP with a bad attitude,be my guest.

It doesnt take much to stress any baby reptile sp.What seems to be forgotten is that they are NOT like puppies etc.They are basically wild animals with wild animal insitncts.To them something is either food or a threat and I'd imagine that something as large as a person would present to them as a threat.Kyles baby beardie is just following instinct.By forcing handling etc all you are doing is stressing the poor thing.

My advice is to feed him well until he gets a bit of size about him and keep handling to a minimum.The poor thing will get used to you in its own good time.

i beg to differ that they merely tolerate. my dragons enjoy my company, and will actually walk over and snuggle, as a prefered place than any were else in the house or enclosure. they brighten when around a human, and seem happier.

The word anthropomorphism is long, and has three bits to it. The first, anthropo, means human. The second bit is morph, which has to do with changing structure or appearance. The last bit, the -ism, relates to belief or practice. So anthropomorphism is the belief in or practice of giving non-human objects human attributes.

You are mistaking your beardies tolerance of you, for actual enjoyment of your company. Your beardie "seems" happier? This is anthropomorphism at it's best ;)

It's almost as amusing as the lady (from another forum) who claimed she came home later than usual one evening to find her beardie "pouting" because it had missed out on it's bedtime ritual of snuggles and blankies.

Isis... humanising of animals....if this is your concern..then let yours free or say you are a hypocrite ... what do you keep or have you freed them?... or do they get minimal attention as you speak of , i am sur that no one is allowed a permit if they are not in best intensions of the reptiles on their permit!!!!

& Ramsayi... talking about the relationship between a beardie & a human.... not a BHP
& i totally agree a snake has a totally different attitude than a dragon

all this thread should be about is exploring how to handle a beardie....
with only my own experience & advice i was taught as a child by Aboriginal Tribe members that i kept as basic explanations of reptiles in particular... do i offer advice...
i offer advice if i see fit as do all members of this forum...with the reptiles i keep at my home & care for at my reptile partners

Last edited:
it's evolution baby!!! LOL WOW i can't believe how heated things get when opinions are posted and some disagree!!! it's opinion ppl not gospel well the truth is animals are animals and humans are humans there of course is a difference as we have lost all our wild instincts due to change yes?.... so it is safe to say that OVER TIME captive bred animals be it hot or cold blooded have also changed yes??? this is just logic.. i'm not saying their like cats or dogs because at the end of the day we haven't domesticated them for as long, how long has the hobby been around?! in saying this when my beardies hatched out and ran at first breath i was amazed at the instinct to run...it was there strait away! Keeping reptiles is an amazing thing replicating habitat and watching their way of life is fantastic i think a happy medium is required i let them know who i am and that i mean no harm i handle them occassionally to remind them of this, otherwise animals that you wish to keep for years to come will be stressed over everything.... everyday movement,cleaning and feeding routines so what would be worse a wild animal stressed every day or a semi domesticated one? One other thing..if you put a born captive reptile into the wild would it survive or perish? hmm i think we all know it wouldn't make it..why? because it has a completely different lifestyle and attitude. All this is just IMO :D (my animals are ALL very healthy happy half in door/ half out door animals too!)

to get best results with handling skittish animals ...especially reptiles
they are calmer at night...when sleeping...

Isis... your advice on this is....????????
Zed.... how do you deal with you skittish beardies....???

please does anyone have other ideas to help Kyle199 with his beardies..????

dragon lady;1065978 & Ramsayi... talking about the relationship between a beardie & a human.... not a BHP & i totally agree a snake has a totally different attitude than a dragon [/QUOTE said:
You first stated that reptiles are calmer at night.The last time I checked reptiles included snakes too.Then write you are not talking about bhps.At least the more you write will give anybody reading this more of a chance to draw their own conclusions about ill informed advice being handed out.

BTW My womas wag their tails when they see me coming.I wonder what that could mean?

your womas love u too rams?
mine wags his tail, and i ask him if he is happy to see me, and he nods his head!!!! and people say snakes aren't smart and dont bond with you!

we all tolerate all on this planet.... i have known animals to stress & pass on after its master has died
this is not toleration ... this is devotion

No this is starvation cause no one was game to feed them . Some of my beardies love being held others are not so keen each to there own i guess

Kyle199...thanks for the pm...now that he is calmer...try bathing him in the late afternoon ..after his last feed.. with littlies i use the a babies bath,a container you can comfortably hold him in for 5-10 minutes... very luke warm ..not cold water!
i also use a babies toothbrush to rub down their back..gets rid of grubby spots & under their beards..helps them when shedding too

Itbites........you put that well,
my rescued animals.. the younger they are ,the harder it is to return the to nature...they wouldnt cope!
Ramsayi... merely pointing out,this is about dragon handling ...not snake
& im not making any conclusions that you know nothing about dragons... trying to get back on the topic that is at hand...handling dragons.

Last edited:
Each to their own but i don't think you should be flamed for voicing your own opinion or an act that has work for you. If your asked a question and you give an answer, it's up to others to take it or leave it.

Hand feeeding them small crix and pieces of veg also helps them get used to your big hand comin swoopin in at them.

dragon_lady:

It depends on the individual beardie, some calm down with regular handling, baths, hand feeding etc, some just calm down when they are left alone. Although according to this thread there is no such thing as an 'individual' beardie hahaha.

I think that good points can be taken out of both sides of these opinions in this thread.

Glad to hear Kyle199's beardie is settling down.

my dragons voluntarily put themselves thru the torture of climbing onto my bf's lap to tolerate a pat, poor misguided critters,..!! :)

once i sat back down Chub and Kyro voluntarily moved onto my lap and Kaida went exploring,...someone needs to tell these guys what they apparently dont like!!!

Last edited:
Hey dragon lady, thanks so much for your advice. I tried your technique and after two days I have a bearded dragon who has gone from running away from me to a bearded dragon who hops on my hand, feeds from my fingers, and will even go to sleep on my hand if i am holding him at dusk with the lights out. Your experience is obvious, thank you for sharing.

Ramsayi.

You can lead them to water, but the warm fuzzy feelings
prevent them from taking a drink. :evil:

Hey dragon lady, thanks so much for your advice. I tried your technique and after two days I have a bearded dragon who has gone from running away from me to a bearded dragon who hops on my hand, feeds from my fingers, and will even go to sleep on my hand if i am holding him at dusk with the lights out. Your experience is obvious, thank you for sharing.

Hey, that's great to hear!
What a shame the sarcasm Is rampant In here :rolleyes:

So you don't have farm and fuzzie feelings Australis? By the way isn't that a womens spray smelly stuff?

I sincerely do not understand why you kids can't just play nice. Come on now each to their own! EACH TO THEIR OWN! (did you like the capitals for effect?)

Can't we just agree that the beardie is showing signs of improvement. The method used is obviously working.

I will write a prescription for all of you to get off your high horses.

Meanwhile I'm gonna go back to my fairy land.

You all have fun now.

Thanks Kyle199...& Channi....+ the others who i am not about to dob in who have tried the method with success....

I am lucky my hide is thicker than a dragons! lol
i find it very amusing that at least a few that has "THREAD BASHED" me have actually PM'd in the recent past for husbandry, health or social help with their reptiles!

yes.....i totally agree this method is not for all animals,beardies or reptiles,some adults are far too old to accept human advances as not threatening
& then their are some that can not tolerate any companionship ,whether that be human or animal

BUT ..then there are humans that act (or write) more uncivilized than any cave-man or wild beast could!
yes each to their own!

So you don't have farm and fuzzie feelings Australis? By the way isn't that a womens spray smelly stuff?

I wouldnt know if its a womans spray, much like you seem totally clueless to what it really is
Read some books on any Australian animals or plant species you might one day get a idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back