My Childrens Python is CRAZY!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakemanbenny

Reaction score
My childrens python i bought from an ad in my local paper is crazy, the owner didnt tell me that it attacks and tries to eat everything you put near it eg: fingers, hand, gloves, nose you name it it will have a go at everything. When you go near the inclosure the snake seems to follow you and tries to strike you through the glass. I contacted the previous owner a couple of weeks later and he said thats why he wanted to get rid of it................ so now im stuck with crazy snake whom i have renamed him to monster..........

...the owner didnt tell me that it attacks ...

And did you ask?

Let it settle down for couple weeks, don't stress it (and don't stress yourself)

Is it young?
If so, it will prob calm down w/ time as most do!

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it obviously wasn't handled or it was placed in a high stress area. House the snake in a room where it is quiet and low traffic. with time, patience and a few tags it will either come good or learn to tolerate you. You now know what to look for next time you purchase and you know to handle it before you part with money. Lesson learnt?

I chuckling as I write this as a crazy Childrens is a massive threat to your survival... :D

But on a serious note how about some details, how long have you had it, how old/big is it, what and when do you feed it, where in the house is it kept and in what type of enclosure? If it is tank defensive, which by the sounds of it is the case and not that it is underfed, then it will take time but there are things you can do but the details will help the guys on here who know their stuff to give you a better answer.

Solutions will include ideas like screening off the front of the tank (if that is what it is in) so it doesn't see so much movement while it settles in more, moving the enclosure to a low traffic part of the house, some handling tips etc. Don't despair it will/should improve even if it always somewhat agro, on the upside too it is only a childrens and not a scrubby or jungle so apart from tagging you on the hooter which won't be pleasent it will never get big enough to seiously hurt you.

we have a spotted python that is the same, its brother and sister are brilliant to handle but the psychotic one is nuts, it has s,s,d (small snake syndrome) it thinks its a 20 foot anaconda and attacks everything even me standing across the room,

Just curiously, if you know it's psycho, or even for that matter if you don't know what it's like, why put your nose near it?

Just curiously, if you know it's psycho, or even for that matter if you don't know what it's like, why put your nose near it?

- - - Updated - - -

We have a Murray Darling who was a freebie with an enclosure. I've named him Alf after the Alf character in the Home and Away dub-overs. "I'll bite your face, ****!!" He tries to, and has succeeded on occasion. He's settling down though, gradually. So far it's only taken him about a year or so, and he's got a long ways to go.

Poor snake :(

Obviously hasn't been looked after properly if it's that crazy. But more information is needed, young snakes will often appear insane purely because they're frightened for their lives.

Hopefully for you sake its still young and will grow out of this. But if I were you I would put it in an area that no one will disturb it, so it wont strike the glass and such. Than every few day go into the tank get the python out ( use gloves or snake hook if you have to, no matter what you will have to get it out) and handle it 10-15min do this every second day except after feeding and hopefully you will get results. This is exactly what I did with my Jungle.
Look on the bright side though if its that strikey it will probably be a good feeder. :)

It's a children's python do you want me to get my seven yr old daughter to hold it for you so you can pat it, even fully grown they tickle at best. Handle it often and for goodness sake keep your nose out reach it may have thought you wanted to kiss it and just got really scared.

Poor snake :(

Obviously hasn't been looked after properly if it's that crazy. But more information is needed, young snakes will often appear insane purely because they're frightened for their lives.

I don't think being crazy in any way means it was mistreated or not looked after properly. Some snakes are just angry...

i had a bredli like this when i first got him and 20 months later he still thinks he's boss in his enclosure and i dont take any risks with him because of past experience. I handled him every 2 days for 6 months and took him out for only a minute and not near any person and he got better slowly, i did get bitter 5837593538573957385299 times but all is good...now

I don't think being crazy in any way means it was mistreated or not looked after properly. Some snakes are just angry...

I didn't mean mistreated, more just ignored or not given the attention it should, judging by how the last owner wanted to get rid of it like they did.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies. An update on my little snake but thinks he is an anaconda (thanks KATJASE). And yes he is still like that, i try and be gental as possible and let him bite my finger and when he is ready to let go (which seems hours) i put him back in his cage but still strikes all the time. As the vet said to me that he is a "wild" reptile and still young (3 years) and should grow out of it. I dont know what the last owner did but he did tell me that he was like that when he bought it ?????? but he is part of the family so i wont be getting rid of him.

Good on you for persisting but some snakes are just like that. Have you tried using a hook to get him out and does he settle down once you have him out?

Have you tried upping his food intake? It could be possible he's just hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially if he's biting and constricting.

Hopefully for you sake its still young and will grow out of this. But if I were you I would put it in an area that no one will disturb it, so it wont strike the glass and such. Than every few day go into the tank get the python out ( use gloves or snake hook if you have to, no matter what you will have to get it out) and handle it 10-15min do this every second day except after feeding and hopefully you will get results. This is exactly what I did with my Jungle.
Look on the bright side though if its that strikey it will probably be a good feeder. :)

+1 This is what I did with my Jungle as well and now he handles like a treat (6 months later) but then again he's probably chilled out with age :) he's turning 2 in 2 days time

do we really need to drag up old threads for a "+1 my snake was the same " just that its from august last year , i think theyve got it sorted

As mentioned above try covering the tank for a while to reduce stress levels, worked with my Jungle, she still bites once or twice when I get her out but before it was just the same, striking through the glass, biting at any movement etc :) it just takes a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back