Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I tend to do when handling is let him start to move by himself as he likes to try and escape his enclosure and if his not in the mood I touch the back half of his body and these tends to get him on the move, once this is done I'll slide my hand underneath and gently lift him up following with my second hand for extra support and bobs your uncle, he's happy and Im happy minus the bites (so far) :) Hope I explained that well enough, any questions dont hesitate to ask, but yeah I would give him I little while longer then start handling and see how you go, this is my first ever python so Im in no way an expert!!
Ohh yeah I forgot to mention that I also have 2 click clacks, so once the one he is in is dirty I set the next one up and move him into it after I let him have some time out and about :D saves sticking your hands in there and him confusing me with a feed!!
I have a 20L tub aswell. I put her in there when I cleaned her tub. I had to turn the heater on her room since it was cold and she was nudging at the top of the tub. She came onto me so I got a minute or so hold of her, then as I put her in she decided to have another strike at me. I don't know but she is ok when she is on me but when she is back or getting picked up she gets snappy.

I'm using 7L sistema containers as his click clacks, I've been told they feel alot safer in a smaller enclosure, I also have a heater on in the room I'm keeping him in at the moment to keep the ambient temperature up. When placing him back in I do it when he starts getting a bit flighty and I'll wait till he extends out with a straightened neck and guide him towards his hide and he goes straight for the hide I then quickly place the lid on before he comes out. I wouldnt worry to much you seem to be doing the right thing some python's are naturally going to be a bit more snappy then others, my bredli must just be alot more placid. Hope some of this helps!!

I got a thermom with probe from the vet today (took my dragon) So now I don't need to open her lid to check on her. I gave adam a PM and said leave her for say 2days then try and handle her for 20mins or so. So I am leaving her till sunday or monday then will give handling another shot. The temps are 35.2c hot end and 25.9c cool end. She has been in the cool end hide all day lol.

Adam said that I could prob try and hold her tonight. I just saw her out so I opened the lid to see if she would come out so I could try and have a hold. She just looked at me, I saw her toilet roll was knocked over and the other hide (must of climbed over them) I put it back and she got in the S shape again. I have put the tub lid back on and left the room. How should I get her out with min stress?

I held her! yay :lol:. She just kept checking me out so I bit the bullet and did the towel thing over her neck head and picked her up by the mid section. She just zoomed around my hands and belly for 5mins then she tried to get down a crack in the wall LOL. But after I put her back she was half out so I just sat there, she just flicked her tongue at me a fair bit like she was checking me out.In the end I picked her up again and put her on her branch and shut the lid!

Adam said that I could prob try and hold her tonight. I just saw her out so I opened the lid to see if she would come out so I could try and have a hold. She just looked at me, I saw her toilet roll was knocked over and the other hide (must of climbed over them) I put it back and she got in the S shape again. I have put the tub lid back on and left the room. How should I get her out with min stress?
Try using a small snake hook. Hook her out and place her onto a plastic lid, then let her crawl onto your arm. This really helped our snappy boy get used to handling. Read Simon Stone's article on Snake Empathy (Doc Rock articles on SXR site) to help you understand her. Remember that you are about 5000 times bigger than she is. It's scary being picked up by something that big!

Try using a small snake hook. Hook her out and place her onto a plastic lid, then let her crawl onto your arm. This really helped our snappy boy get used to handling. Read Simon Stone's article on Snake Empathy (Doc Rock articles on SXR site) to help you understand her. Remember that you are about 5000 times bigger than she is. It's scary being picked up by something that big!
Yep, A member (Ewan) Told me to look. I did and now I can tell she gets nervous w I try to pick her up. I'm going to order that "BJ" pocket hooks set from herpshop (Theres a real small one in the set) for $20. I hope if I handle her every 1-2days (when she has had time to digest) she will be tame,

Yep, A member (Ewan) Told me to look. I did and now I can tell she gets nervous w I try to pick her up. I'm going to order that "BJ" pocket hooks set from herpshop (Theres a real small one in the set) for $20. I hope if I handle her every 1-2days (when she has had time to digest) she will be tame,
Congrats on getting her out okay. The pocket hook is exactly what I use. You can extend it, etc. It's great for getting them out of a hide in a non-threatening way. Once she calms down when you stand very still for handling, work your way up to moving a bit and walking around. It will gradually teach her that handling is not a threat. We used to have to stand very still with our boy, but now he's pretty good. (He regresses a bit at shed time.)

Congrats on getting her out okay. The pocket hook is exactly what I use. You can extend it, etc. It's great for getting them out of a hide in a non-threatening way. Once she calms down when you stand very still for handling, work your way up to moving a bit and walking around. It will gradually teach her that handling is not a threat. We used to have to stand very still with our boy, but now he's pretty good. (He regresses a bit at shed time.)
Thanks :D I just sat on the floor very still, when she wanted to move I'd just put my other hand (that was at the back of her) in front so she could move. I should probably feed her but might do that tomorrow night. She seems to be in "hunting" mode by the pictures on doc rocks snake empathy.

Thanks :D I just sat on the floor very still, when she wanted to move I'd just put my other hand (that was at the back of her) in front so she could move. I should probably feed her but might do that tomorrow night. She seems to be in "hunting" mode by the pictures on doc rocks snake empathy.
They go into hunting mode in the evening. It's often easiest to handle them in the morning. Mine adopt the hunting posture every night, even if they've just eaten!

They go into hunting mode in the evening. It's often easiest to handle them in the morning. Mine adopt the hunting posture every night, even if they've just eaten!
Ah ok. I was wrong lol, thought night would be easier when they were active, cause she is always in a hide all day, only comes out as it gets dark.

Another thing you can do is gently hold a piece of cardboard over its head then pick it up.

Another thing you can do is gently hold a piece of cardboard over its head then pick it up.
Yeah I saw that, but I decided to use a towel, I'm going to try and hold her again tomorrow, then feed her.

All you need to do is cover there eyes then they will settle down so you can pick them up. I personally like to let them move around abit then i will pick them up, that way they dont get a fright from me just grabbing them.

All you need to do is cover there eyes then they will settle down so you can pick them up. I personally like to let them move around abit then i will pick them up, that way they dont get a fright from me just grabbing them.
Alright thanks, if they come back out when you put them back in do you just pick them up again? Cause she did this and I was just going to pick her up but she looked angry when I tried that so just did the towel thing again.

Nah i dont pick them up again. They most times will do that as its in there nature to try escape.

Nah i dont pick them up again. They most times will do that as its in there nature to try escape.
Alright, I made a hook for now from a coat hanger :lol:. Till I can buy one off the herpshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back