Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
well, long story short, iv split up with my partner and i miss my animals
they were all on his permit so now i have none :(

can anyone recomend a good first snake? iv only ever had adult snakes before so i want a pretty easy to keep first one since it will be young and i hear so much about feeding problems etc on this forum!
also any local breeders in adelaide, i would love a woma but not sure if its the best choice being my first hatchling?

any tips would be great, iv had so many reps, but never a young snake!

Carpets i think are always a good choice they eat well handle well and come in heaps of colours and patterns.They do get to a good size tho.

id probably rather a small-med size snake how big do carpets get? iv only ever had md's....

id probably rather a small-med size snake how big do carpets get? iv only ever had md's....
Pretty much the same size as md's but with more colours.Ive just had bad luck with the smaller species,they all want to kill me lol.I just find the larger the pythons get the better there attitude.Woma's and bhp's are ok but love there food,generally there all bluff and once you have them they are great.Jungles are pretty snappy but there are some real stunners with good attitudes and if you can pick from a clutch and get the one you want that handle ok they turn out great.

i would go a black headed python. gorgeous colours, majority hav a good temperement, and in general are a lovely snake.
sorry to hear bout u not havin ur reps anymore. its sad hey.
cheers
mel

i'd recommend a jungle.. because they were my first snake, and are beautiful :)

Hey LAMALAMALAMA Get a jungle theyre awesome or a coastal YUS :D

JARDENJARDENJARDEN i have considered a jungle coz there purty! and mel i have always wanted a BHP but i am super fussy with them, until i see one i really like ill probably hold off, but then again if anyone can recomend where i can get one in adel atm that i can check out and see if i like it let me no!
MaTE are jungles usually ok feeders when there young?

hey emo, soz to hear that, you know the usual adelaide crew are there for you, and def an ear if you need it. as far as breeders go, it depends what you want, i can hook you up with most morelia easy enough, and gully centa are very good price wise. :)

oh and no womas personally but a few mates have them, great snakes, personality plus, but need floor space

id go with the woma if that is what u would love to have.. get one off or threw someone you trust with a good solid feeding history...and the only problem you will have is trying not to get another

hey emo, soz to hear that, you know the usual adelaide crew are there for you, and def an ear if you need it. as far as breeders go, it depends what you want, i can hook you up with most morelia easy enough, and gully centa are very good price wise. :)

ooo theres my emo friend! thanks hun, havent spoken to u in ages, yea i was going to look at the gully today because i stayed at my ex's last night and he lives near there but i didnt get a chance, i might head up there again later in the wk and check out what they have, do u no anyone with anything young in the way of snakies atm? i have to buy local because i dont think i can import without a permit, ill just be having the 1 rep without the permit for now

I only have one snake, it's all I ever intend to get and he's a dear little Stimsons python. Only grow to a metre long, so never too big, he's sooooo placid. 16 months old at the moment. For me he's just perfect, I wouldn't want anything that grew 2 metres long.....lovely to look at, and great for other people,but not for me.

Hey Lana,
Ive got 2 Murray Darlings and as you would know they are pretty placid snakes,but earlier this year i got my first Jungle python, and i have to say, he is more docile than either of my M.D.s and alot nicer to look at colouring wise.
I got him from an interstate member of this forum and even after spending a few hours in a car, then a couple of hours in a plane, then another car trip home,he still showed no interest in biting me.
Im eagerly awaiting his hatchlings to become available this season so i can get a girl to go with him.

I always think why the hell do people recomend carpets as good first snakes, womas are a hell of alot better, heaps better looking, 99 percent of them feed without problems, they dont get to big and if there in your price range are a perfect starting snake

Hey Lana, i dont know adelaide, so cant help with places to go. hav a quick search on there in the for sale section and see whats for sale around ur area, ya never know might be something. but seriously, if u want a woma, go for it.
and as far as jungles go for feeding, none of mine have ever said no to a feed. very food aggressive at times, but are farily calm when i have to take em out to clean and stuff.
but i say, if there is something that catches your eye, then go for it. :)
cheers
mel

Go a bredli. Good temprament, nice colours. An awesome little snake pretty much. :)
Soz too hear about loosing your reps, it'd suck big time.
Goodluck.

Hey Lana, Hows the bub? Give him a cuddle for me =]

My first was a jungle, I guess temperament varies, mine has all the looks, but he's Saintan :p
My second was a bredli, personally I think jungles look better than bredlis, I think the yellow&black is a great combo, but temperament wise my bredli is the best, he's only ever bitten 3 times since I've gotten him, all of the 3 times were admittedly my fault though...

I'm pretty sure jungles get around the 6ft mark and bredlis get about 2.5-3m

I always think why the hell do people recomend carpets as good first snakes, womas are a hell of alot better, heaps better looking, 99 percent of them feed without problems, they dont get to big and if there in your price range are a perfect starting snake
We all cant afford a woma.And they werent always on class 1.And yes jungles are good eaters when young well mine are anyway.But just get what YOU like.
Cheers Mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back