my new green tree python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to hear you lost your hatchie.
May this be a lesson to you and an example to others, do your research before buying an animal, I owned Maxwells book for a couple of years before taking on my first green.

trickedoutz31, perhaps in the future you shouldn't bag out people asking questions on here, if you had asked more questions maybe this could have been avoided?

taken from a different thread......

BRICK RED GREEN TREE PYTHONS

Dec-09, 09:59 AM
Bricked
Regular Member Join Date: Dec-09

I am interested in getting a green tree python, but i really want a brick red one. About what age the it lose its coloring? if i mated to GTPs that were red at childhood, would that increase the likerlyhood of the children of them being red in coloration?

#2 30-Dec-09, 10:01 AM
trickedoutz31
Regular Member Join Date: Mar-08
Age/Gender: 28

Bahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahhahahahaaha

Very obeservant there owzi lol

Sorry to hear bout ur loss dude

Sorry to hear about your loss.

This certainly is a lesson to all to read up on what you are purchasing and their requirements before you get an animal. I don't know anyting about the breeder, but I will only purchase from a breeder that has a top reputation.IMO I agree with Jamie...hatchy's should be powering on before they are sold.

sorry to hear you lost envy, shes was such a beautiful gtp. :(

a basic autopsy is only about $70, it gets expensive when they go further....but it sounds like u already know the cause. :(

trickedoutz31, perhaps in the future you shouldn't bag out people asking questions on here, if you had asked more questions maybe this could have been avoided?

There is nothing wrong with asking questions here but no forum beats books and other literature. The difference is, every book / article is edited (usually by experts) before it goes to print (unless self-published), whilst here you may get an "answer" from a 13 year old expert on everything. No offence guys but you see it on forums every day. Books and mags are not that expensive and there are some really good ones, e.g. from Mike Swan's Herp Books. Read first, ask questions later - that way you cover most of what you need to know.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions here but no forum beats books and other literature. The difference is, every book / article is edited (usually by experts) before it goes to print (unless self-published), whilst here you may get an "answer" from a 13 year old expert on everything. No offence guys but you see it on forums every day. Books and mags are not that expensive and there are some really good ones, e.g. from Mike Swan's Herp Books. Read first, ask questions later - that way you cover most of what you need to know.

100% agree

Spot on Waterrat!. The net can be a great source of information, but it's openness allows anyone to publish anything, regardless of its integrity. Books and printed information are still the best sources of information, but even then you need some experience to distinguish good info from bad.

Sounds like a case of an animal which was clearly not ready to be sold, being sold to a keeper who was not ready for the species. A basic understanding of the needs of the species is all that's needed to keep a healthy GTP baby in good form. Provide appropriate care and they are not difficult to keep healthy. The seller was remiss in allowing the snake to go when it was so small (it was clearly very small at hatch), and not providing even basic info on care (unless the buyer thought he knew better) and the buyer was negligent in not researching GTPs before acquiring one.

One shed and 5 feeds is simply not an established baby - they all shed at about 8-10 days old, and I doubt that snake had 5 voluntary feeds before it was shipped out, judging from the size of the animal.

Jamie.

ok foundout that envy was layed on the 30th of aug and hatched 52 days after that making her DOB 20th of october so envy is 2 months old she weighed 10.4grams at birth and has had 1 shed and 5 feeds and was incubated in a incubator with a 50/50 mix of substrate and water at 31.5deg C

So sorry for your loss mate.
Next time try and hand pick your hatchie if possible, and use a breeder really in the know about gtp.
In my opinion, that way to young and small to let go, and I doubt weather it was even etablished as a feeder.
Few more sheds and feeds would of been a must imo.
There's a few experienced breeders around this forum which would be worth a try next time.
GTP are not the easiest pythons to look after..................
Chin up..........we all learn from our mistakes.
I'd give the breeder a buzz and let him / her know about letting such unproven hatchies go again, especially to an inexperienced keeper.
Cheers,
Aleks.

I don't own any snakes so don't understand, why can't you handle them? Are they really fragile and bruise easily or something?
I wish he had survived. Poor little thing. Pitty that life is so fragile with these creatures.

Last edited:
This thread and the sad ending prompted me to compile a list of references to recent literature on GTPs. I will post it in a new thread: GTP- essential info

was it so cheap because it was so young/not feeding well or something?
or is that the average price of GTPs these days,....?

oh, and are they on the basic license?
i thought they were class 2,....

Last edited:
Thats a tough, expensive and very sad lesson learnt there ...BUT I take my hat off to you tricks, cause at least you had the BALLS to admit it was your stuff up ,unlike a few that would rather BLAME anyone or anything else, rather then facing their own image in the mirror and actually pointing the finger at themselves

All the best in the future if you try and give it a go again and yes I did envy you ;)

Thats a tough, expensive and very sad lesson learnt there ...BUT I take my hat off to you tricks, cause at least you had the BALLS to admit it was your stuff up ,unlike a few that would rather BLAME anyone or anything else, rather then facing their own image in the mirror and actually pointing the finger at themselves

All the best in the future if you try and give it a go again and yes I did envy you ;)

He is wearing a rubber mask (awatar) so he can't see his image in the mirror. lol
Head up tricks.

Fact is that it is not an easy job to get baby GTP's feeding. It requires a lot of patience and good technique and is why Greg Maxwell says in his book that breeding GTP's is relatively easy, but establishing the babies is what seperates the men from the boys!
I currently have a clutch that I am getting started and most have now had 6 feeds but I couldnt sell them now as they simply are not ready as I still have to spend a couple of minutes getting each one to strike wrap and eat. Once they are properly established, then there is no looking back!!
As Jamie and Michael have said, if you do your research and only buy well established babies, you will soon wonder what all the fuss is about.

Sorry to hear about your loss trickedoutz.

I got it from 40 years of experience and qualification in parasitology.
What parasites did you see, how did you see them and how old (not what size) was the snake you're referring to?

ok, if you have 40 years experience in the field, please explain why what I've seen isn't possible?

You still didn't answer his question

What parasites did you see, how did you see them and how old (not what size) was the snake you're referring to?

A/ I didn't say "in the field"
B/ I didn't say it's not possible
C/ You didn't tell us what you saw - hence my question
D/ Wild snakes and captive bred ones aren't the same. The latter can't have parasites at that age, particularly if they haven't been feeding. Parasites are acquired from food, other reptiles or unhygienic conditions. That particular snake wasn't exposed to any of the above.

I second everything you said RBB....for what that's worth :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back