my new green tree python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for your loss

Makes me wonder why Reptiles Australia Magazine are giving away twin GTP's to the person with the 'best request' for them when they are a rather fragile species.

this originally was a thread about someone recieving a new reptile, which then turned into one he lost, it has now come into an arguement about husbandry, with rebutles going back and forth from other members about how much knowledge theyn have. I dont see how that is necessary. if so, start a new thread and get over it.

ta : )

this originally was a thread about someone recieving a new reptile, which then turned into one he lost, it has now come into an arguement about husbandry, with rebutles going back and forth from other members about how much knowledge theyn have. I dont see how that is necessary. if so, start a new thread and get over it.

ta : )

well I wouldnt say its gone off topic - the thread starter posted the bad news, in the thread - I understand what your saying about the husbandry issue, but I think truth be known, that all the signs of this going tits up were there in the first few posts - and I arn't neccisarily placing all the blame on the thread starter either!

Some of the comments he made in regards to the lack of documentation and follow up support in reasonable time rang alarm bells for me before I even read the outcome of this.

sorry for your loss

Makes me wonder why Reptiles Australia Magazine are giving away twin GTP's to the person with the 'best request' for them when they are a rather fragile species.

This is a sheer nonsense - if you don't know the facts - don't comment. The magazine didn't even put up the conditions of the comp, the criteria or what is expected from the applicants yet. Your remark is unwarranted, misleading and offensive to me.
I am the part-owner of the twins.

I wonder if this will stop alot of people buying greens?

Again its sad your frist green ended up dieing , but its a pity people seem to be fighting over why it died.

Sorry, I misunderstood the bit where it says 'that gives you plenty of time to think about why you'd make perfect parents'.
Obviously hit a soft spot.

Edit; Maybe they should have reworded it like 'that gives you plenty of time to research the species"

There are a lot of unwarranted posts being thrown around in here...some with no knowledge at all behind them. Trickedoutz31 has excepted his fault and it should be left at that, I respect him for not laying the blame on anybody and I am sorry for his loss. However there is no need to be attacking peoples husbandry and especially bringing 'the twins' into this, Im sure the criteria for recieving them will be very strict but at this point it is nobodies business except for the owners.

People can only learn from this thread and be sure to put in as much research as possible before taking responsibility of a new snake..be it a GTP or even a Children's python.

A/ I didn't say "in the field"
B/ I didn't say it's not possible
C/ You didn't tell us what you saw - hence my question
D/ Wild snakes and captive bred ones aren't the same. The latter can't have parasites at that age, particularly if they haven't been feeding. Parasites are acquired from food, other reptiles or unhygienic conditions. That particular snake wasn't exposed to any of the above.

I was under the assumption that the snake had not fed whilst with the OP, but had fed with the breeder. I know perfectly well that the only way to get a parasite in the gut is to ingest it through a food item.

sorry for your loss

I will say something,i wouldnt mind owning them,especially from where there coming from...Why would you even say such a remark...Your spot on Matt,he has taken the blame and not blamed it on the breeder,anyone that is new to the hobby can and does make mistakes,unfortunately this is a very expensive mistake....MARK

The "best request" will obviously demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of GTP husbandry, or it wouldn't be the best request, would it?

I'll certainly be putting my best foot forward instead of in my mouth (although sometimes the latter happens without me knowing it :) ).

ok the only advise i can gice from learning from my mistakes with this gtp is , eventho you own greg maxwells book dont leave it as your only sorce of infomation on how to keep this breed as this is what i did and failed! take alot more time into researching this breed before buying it even if you have the cash in your hot little hand... i wish i had saved my money and read the book and then followed up on info from the book later on in some depth online or by asking keepers and breeders about the subjects i wasnt quite sure about, greg maxwells book is a good book dont get me wrong however alot of his info is from indonisiea and surounding areas and alot of it back dates to around the 70's and 80' even tho it is the updated one "the more complete chondro" i feel there is alot more updated info on how to keep these little guys out there that is a bit more benificial to the "australian" keepers

so to shorten this up a bit... read the book then reaserch the gtp more then when you think you are ready dont get one research again for another 6 months and then get one .. IMO

im going to get another one at the end of 2010 when i feel i have everything setup correctly.

as you may have seen in my other threads i was having a bit of trouble getting the thermal gradeient in a few diferent sized click clacks and trialed a few diferent heat sources and failed. until i got down to the right sized click clack but then forgot to offer a broad enough graident ending in one cooked little gtp.

research and reaserch some more!

Also, get a bigger hatchling next time. They are so much easier to pull through onto fuzzies, once you there, it's easy sailing.

Good luck
M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back