Native, fresh water fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Australis

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone here keep Australian native fresh water fish?
( i dont mean PNG/LFS ones either )

Here are a couple based on one creek locality.

Anyone keeping Glossamia sp - Mouth almighty?

fsdh077.jpg

fsdh110.jpg

fsdh078.jpg

Should of wiped the outside of the tank first.. oh well.
fsdh068.jpg
fsdh067.jpg

Er.

Being totally ignorant of these things...What size are these? Do they get to an edible size?

oh and Thanks for sharing.

IsK

Love the gudgeon, is it a putple spotted?

Had two of those in with my cichlids when i still ahd my tank running

I've got a purple-spotted gudgeon (bought from the LFS though). Pretty cool fish

I don't keep fish, but one day I'd love to have a big, multi-species enclosure for a freshwater croc, pig-nosed and northern snapping turtles and some freshwater tropical fish, such as lungfish, barramundi, perch and eels.

Sigh. Maybe one day some of these dreams will become real...

we have a murray cod, sleepy cod, Jade perch, and yellow eel-tailed cat fish. Dan really wants a lung fish but they are expensive nad hard to get

I saw a lung fish for sale at Cairns Ultimate Aquarium the other day. Not sure on price, but would hazard a guess at around $1500.

no cichlids will own my fish

hahaah my jade perch will smash your oscars

dan

sleepy cod

and my 4ft murry cod tank

had these fish for two years and both were less then 5cm when we got them

dan

i have better fotos some were theses dont do them justice

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 148
thats one fish id love to own

ill just have to wait till i have the money

last time i saw these on the net thay said thay wont be available for another five years

but this is good news

what other aussie fish do u have there Australis
what size tanks do u own

cheers dan

Young = $500 according to the article. The one I saw was about 400mm.

Ah, fair enough.

Still, going by the article it would appear that the breeders want out. It might be worth buying a couple of young soonish if they're on your list.

I don't keep fish, but one day I'd love to have a big, multi-species enclosure for a freshwater croc, pig-nosed and northern snapping turtles and some freshwater tropical fish, such as lungfish, barramundi, perch and eels.

Sigh. Maybe one day some of these dreams will become real...

I wouldn't be keeping Pig-nosed with other turtles. They can be extremely aggressive
to other turtles especially as sub-adults and adults. Someone we know had an adult rugosa torn apart by a Pig-nosed turtle (which was much smaller than the rugosa) while he was at work.

We have a 10,000 litre tank that has native fish that breed in there. We have rainbows (Crimson spotted-M.duboulayi), large Empire gudgeons, Eel-tailed Catfish, Purple spotted Gudgeons, Olive Perchlets(glass fish) and Fly specked Hardy Heads. The tank also has Irwin's turtles (which are the best looking snapping turtles in Australia), Eastern snake-necked turtles and Macleay River turtles. Mr Spike just recently had a dive in it and hand fed the turtles which is my favourite past-time. The water is crystal clear with a sand and river rock substrate with lots of logs for the turtles and fish to hide amongst.
Expansa1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back