Native, fresh water fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh love aussie Bass had a pair in a tank that grew to 2 1/2 kilos each,but they eat you out of house and home.Also had a eastern cod who was around 2 kilos until i put him in my mates dam.Used to feed them whatever i could find they loved mice.We get heaps of rainbows in the local creeks which are pretty cool.

Untill a year 1/2 ago, I had 2 ft murry cod, two 40 cm bass and one 55cm yellow belly.
The the 3 species I fish fly for - it was awesome, but a hand full.
They ate heaps and they were all in the one tank - 8x2x2.
Miss them heaps

how long did u have the cod for ive had mine for only 2 years and hes a very slow grower howed u find your

cheers dan

How did the Bullrouts go for you JasonL?

( which reminds me i should wear shoes more often )

found them to be a very hardy captive and never had any problems with them at all. they are quite spectacular looking fish, esp their eyes, and I highly recommend keeping a few in any native tank

cool gudgen. we had the odd sleepy cod, few others. we used to (in wa, and my brother still has) weaned black bream to fresh water, i always had it on the slight brackish side, but at xmas i went back to perth, and my bro had one in a tank, completely fresh, about 20cm long.

i love native fish altho my collection is pretty small at the moment, when i upgrade turtle tanks will get a few more. I love the larger predators but smaller species are cool aswell. At the moment i have a barcoo grunter, coal grunter and some rainbow fish. In the past i have kept Tandan catfish, some of the smaller eel tail species, Empire gudgeons, purple spot gudgeons, about 7-8 species of rainbowfish, pacific blue eyes, mouth all mighty, thread-finned rainbows and other random gudgeons i have caught in the past. I'm after bullrout but can never find them when i want them lol.

hornet, you have all the fun stuff, i don't even know what an empire gudgen is...but i think i want on now.

empire gudgeons are an awsome native species to keep, easy to look after and when the males are in breeding mode they are stunning, bright red over the head and belly

Ive got lucustris rainbows, boesmani rainbows and "goyder river" banded rainbows in a community tropical tank..

we have a lung fish up at work, hes probably 400mm long and i hand feed him occasionally lol.

I had a mouth almighty once. I read some where that they will breed (they are mouth brooders) if you have a male and female. It would be pretty cool to see them mouth brooding.

No, but I never tried. I gave mine worms, shrimp, feeder fish. I wonder if you could just go get some frozen prawns from the local bait shop. Would it matter that their salt water prawns? At least you wouldn't have to go find live food all the time. Maybe you could go down to the nearest fresh water creek/damn and catch like a hundred shrimp and freeze them yourself. I'm sure they'd eat a defrosted shrimp.

Australis, at Late Tinaroo we regularly catch mouth almighty in our redclaw pots using potato as bait and the kids catch them on fishin lines using bread. Processed foods should be a breeze for them.

i caught the ones i used to have in the mary river. Used poly pipe frames with shade cloth as the net and scooped through dense weed beds.

Australis, at Late Tinaroo we regularly catch mouth almighty in our redclaw pots using potato as bait and the kids catch them on fishin lines using bread. Processed foods should be a breeze for them.

Thanks Magpie, thats the kinda
thing i was intrested in knowing
Ive only netted them.

i thought bullrouts were salt water??????

if not were can i get them???

(besides the floating dock)

dan

bullrouts inhabit fresh and brackish water but not sure on salt water. Occasionally see them for sale but most of the time you need to catch them yourself

Dansfish, maybe your thinking of barred fortescues (they are similar to bullrouts but exclusively salt water). Bullrout live in fresh when their young and move into brackish when they're older. They are often caught in salt water too. They prefer to be brackish in an aquarium but would be ok in fresh. I had one not long back which would only occasionally take processed food (only because he would take it so fast that he didn't have time to realize it wasn't alive, but if he saw a pellet, for example, just sitting there he wouldn't even think of taking it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back