Native, fresh water fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of Bullrouts?

I don't have picks but they can reach sizes of about 30cm (pretty unlikely in captivity). I think they're more common at about 15cm.

Their colour depends on the colour of the gravel/log they're sitting on and can also be effected by stress etc. Apparently they becomes less attractive as they get bigger too, although I saw a 15cm in a book that looked really nice.

Occasionally mine would be sideways on a log or even upside down under a log. They can eat heaps of food and I read where a guy had one die from eating too much - it had fish sticking out of its mouth.

I have kept mouth almighty before, they are fragile in transport/capture but otherwise very hardy. They generally eat live food but you could probably train them onto other stuff. They are very common in the upper parts of the brisbane river.

I keep quite a few other natives. From the brisbane river i keep the following
a silver scat
a silver batfish
flat head gudgeons
carp gudgeons
some unknown(to me) goby species
pacific blue eyes
banded grunter
olive perchlets
some sort of shrimp species
Varuna litterata(crab)
also in the freezer i keep a heap of gar and mullet.

I also keep
gulf saratoga
common archers
sleepy cod
murray cod
red claw crays

Does anyone know if there is a size limit on bull sharks? Im thinking about keeping a small one.

Cris,

What size did you catch the Mouth Almighty that you kept..?
And did you net or trap it, or other method of capture?

I captured one around 2cm long in a flood zone over the weekend
and it didnt make it, i think the net caused damage, unlike the
spangled perch which you could just about run over and they would
still be fine!

I would have caught hundreds over the years, sometimes you can get 10-20 in a trap or scoop. Varying in size from about 4mm to about 150mm. Using a trap would be best as far as not hurting them or just be very careful with a net. I think they only go into trap after other fish though.

After catching them add some salt to the water and some plant cover to stop them getting damaged in transport.

They seem to be good community fish, much like barra they wont bother what they cant eat.

Cris what part of the river did you catch all your fish from? How did you catch them?
Do you think I could catch some down here?

I used to have a Mouth almighty, nice fish, I gave mine a fish nearly twice the size, ate it easly, wonderful creature, I've also kept:
Scats
Baramundi
Spangled pearch
Silver pearch
Australian bass
Yellow bellie
Rainbow fish(still have one in a pond from 10 years ago)
Gudgeons
Freshwater shrimp
Yabbys

Me and my father caught the:
Silver pearch
Australian bass
Yellow bellie
Freshwater shrimp
Yabbys.

We brought the rest.

i used to own native fish before i go into herps, i have kept most species lol.

Ohkay, a website I was on said it was good to catch your own rainbows but I have no clue where to try. What types of rainbows do you have, and are they outside?

Also, what is the verdict on crays in plastic lined ponds?

I have no clue where to try. What types of rainbows do you have, and are they outside?

Also, what is the verdict on crays in plastic lined ponds?

I got a few from a place near Dalby, Qld. They didn't live to long. I have one in a pond, its been in there for nearly over 10 years. Its going good.

With the yabbys, you'll probley find that they'll chew up the platic, thats why you don't use live plants, they just mess the tank heaps.

i have kept heaps of fresh water fish too many to name, and crays aswell, most of them outside, in big tank some lined with plastic, the only prob iv ever come across is rocks and logs puncturing it, as long as u have hides and gravel for them to dig into they will be fine. as the years have gone on iv just stuck to keeping my favourite fish,and have almost as much herps as i do fish now. here are a couple pictures anyways of just a couple....

Last edited:
Does anyone know of good places to catch some native fish? I want somewhere as close as possible to the Gold Coast so I can get the fish back quickly.

Bit off topic sorry but how big do lung fish grow?

If i had a large plastic tub could i put a window on the front to see the natives? If so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back