Native, fresh water fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i keep mouth allmighty, well i have we catch them in the creeks and all around my place. i also catch scat and batis batis and sleepy cod and bullrout (freshwater stonefish) in the river near me. and i catch native rainbows and honey blue eyes all around places near me..:D dont keep any atm just a big tank with about a 40cm sailfin plecostumus and lots of little crap my mum keeps buying and putting in lol..

steve

I've seen some pretty big ones

Do they grow as big as 1.5metres? I'm curious because we have a huge big fish in the creek behind my place thats really slow moving & it blows loads of bubbles then it comes up for air. My kids are convinced it's a monster of some sought:lol:

Does anyone know of good places to catch some native fish? I want somewhere as close as possible to the Gold Coast so I can get the fish back quickly.

Just about any fresh water creek/river. You'll probley only find the smaller species, like the Rainbows, Gudgeons and other similar fish to them.

yeh iv seen them work with big tubs like mine in the picture at top of the page, using perspex as windows but alot of work goes into making it water tight, i think they used silicon used for boats, stuff that is salt water resistant.

as for the lung fish iv caught heaps of them up around 1.5mtres long in wivenhoe.

and as for good places to get good fresh water fish id say the very upper brissy river is the best iv found all around here around the weir walls ect is tops for all your tropical native species... like mouth almighties, rainbows, scats,pacific blue eyes,bass,perch ect.

yeh mate iv had them and iv got a huge barra and some other eating machines, and its hard to keep the food up to them, thats why i breed and catch food for them....cost ya a fortune in goldfish otherwise.

i have a 10x3x3ft tank with

3 x peacock bass ranging from 35cm-50cm (american cichlid)
1 x Mangrove jack 60cm
1 x sleepy cod 40cm
3 x bullrouts 20cm
3 x salmon tail cats 60cm
and use to have a barra pushing 80cm

can tell you now the boss of that tank is the peacock bass.
when they are breeding there is a whole heap of fish squashed into one end and the peacock bass own the other 8 foot

not my fish but a pic of peacock bass (cichla monoculus)
Cichla_monoculus_1.jpg

The only native i have kept was a Mangrove jack - Lutjanus argentimaculatus

He was kept in brackish water though but still pretty easy to look after compared to the Tropical community tank i had before the Jack.

I kept gudgeon, minnows, callop and lots of other little fish from the river. I had a baby carp once but he wasnt native though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back