Native mammals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

Is anyone else keeping native mammals? We keep 4 species - Spinifex Hopping Mice, Sugar Gliders, Squirrel Gliders and Brushtail Possums. They are relatively simply to look after, and by the looks of things we will have baby Squirrel Gliders at the end of the year. We've bred the Spinifex Hoppers several times now and they have more than doubled their numbers.

I'd really like to get in touch with people who have or are keeping Kowari's and Dunnarts, plus the harder to keep species like Echidna's.

Cheers

Jonno

Would love to keep some native rodents buts unfortunatlycant:(. Got pics of your spinifex hopping mouse setup?

i would love an echidna! lol it will never happen though lol
what are spinifex hopping mice worth?? they are soo cute

They dig, and they are very powerful, quite capable of destroying things. They don't usually like being handled and it can be difficult to do if you don't know exactly what you are doing. They pick up paralysis ticks quite frequently. Quite happy to bury themselves in the ground all day with only a few spines sticking out.

And feeding is labour intensive. You have to make a slurry that is almost liquid, comprising meat, milk raw egg and other additives. As a result, their poop stinks (because of the meat).

Best kept by zoos and fauna parks IMO.

:p

Hix

They dig, and they are very powerful, quite capable of destroying things. They don't usually like being handled and it can be difficult to do if you don't know exactly what you are doing. They pick up paralysis ticks quite frequently. Quite happy to bury themselves in the ground all day with only a few spines sticking out.

And feeding is labour intensive. You have to make a slurry that is almost liquid, comprising meat, milk raw egg and other additives. As a result, their poop stinks (because of the meat).

Best kept by zoos and fauna parks IMO.

Hix

And that's their good points. Try picking one up, even if you can get by the spines they have an extraordinary ability to stick to any surface like snot to a velvet jacket.

Would love to see your spinifex hopping mouse setup, Jonno. Thinking about getting some.

And that's their good points. Try picking one up, even if you can get by the spines they have an extraordinary ability to stick to any surface like snot to a velvet jacket.

And wherever the spines prick you, you end up with a prickly little rash. I used to get the on the belly and when the spines pierced my shirt, and on the palms of my hands.

Hix

i have seen hopping mice go for $5-$10.

Hi,

Is there any permit you can get to keep spinifex hopping mice in Queensland ?

Thanks

exhibitor's permit, i think you need a business that needs one to be able to get it.

G'day guys,

We're currently setting up a new Spinifex Hopper enclosure, complete with underground tunnel system etc. They are very easy to keep, our current set up is just the same as you would keep laboratory mice, with a bit more variance in their diet. I'll post some pics of our new set up once it is done. The price for them varies - I have seen them been given away (or even euthanised due to overpopulation), and there was a bloke in Victoria charging $50 each last year. We will charge somewhere inbetween that price for ours. Unfortunately the only places that can keep native mammals in Queensland are Demonstrators (like us) and Exhibitors. This is one of many aspects of QPWS legislation that I think is flawed...From memory, there are 2 or 3 species of mammal allowed to be kept in NSW though.

We're not afraid to admit that we are total novices at mammal keeping, having almost zero experience with them before we got them. Thankfully we seem to have picked up most of the tricks and tips fairly quickly and we're having some success. Our biggest problem at the moment is calming down our skittish possum. If you've got her milk, she'll be your best friend, but any sudden movement or noise and she will run and hide in the most awkward area and refuse to budge until she gets hungry again. They have big teeth!

Cheers

sounds good jonno, i had plans for a big enclosure wsith a tunnel system before i found i couldnt have them:(

Hey Jonno I've raised quite a few possums and they all go through a stage where they become very skittish, it seems to be a basic survival instinct that's incorporated into play. She should be seeking a "mother" for protection in these sorts of situations if she's young and not yet weaned (back baby), hiding by herself isn't something young possums should do.
How old is she or whats her weight?

Hey mate,

She is fully weaned out. We offer a weak milk solution simply because she loves it and it means we can handle her a bit. Fruit has a similar effect but the milk is like a magnet, you can't get her away from it.

Hey mate,

She is fully weaned out. We offer a weak milk solution simply because she loves it and it means we can handle her a bit. Fruit has a similar effect but the milk is like a magnet, you can't get her away from it.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news Jonno but that's just a possum being possumy. Just get a big bottle of betadine and some superglue :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back